Sign in to follow this  
Speedkore

Why shot sounds doesnt have reverb?

"Some of the best selling games of all time use the EAX extensions to DirectSound 5.0 and beyond, including Warcraft3, Diablo2, World of Warcraft, Half Life, Ghost Recon, F.E.A.R. and many others. Under Windows Vista, these games will be losing the hardware support that came as standard under the previous Windows Operating Systems, and will no longer provide real-time interactive effects, making them sound empty and lifeless by comparison to the way they sound on Windows XP."

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

There is no way for a czech (or european in common) programer to record the sound of the weapons depicted in this game without the danger of facing a one year minimun prinson sentence.

Why? Is it illegal to record the sound of gunfire?

The developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. arranged recording sessions at gun ranges in the USA to get their sound effects. Especially if BIS had its own recording equipment, it would have been relatively inexpensive to fly to the USA and set up a recording session at a range that rents out machineguns.

And to pick nits, programmers are too busy working on code to record sounds. Usually, a dedicated sound technician, or someone who can perform a similar duty would be responsible for sound effects.

Its not hard to make sound effects i live in the UK and dont have access to any firearms but good golly miss molly theres the internet with stuff like youtube you can get all the sounds you want from guns being blasted off by those crazy yanks.. I personnaly think the sounds in BIS could have been alot better and being paid or not being paid has nothing to do with it, its all a mater of experience and skill which this chap dont have. Just look at how messy the sound folders hes still left all the left over work which was supposed to be deleted.

About the reverb this should handled by the engine not by 3rd party or the sounds themselfs but the game engine like source engine (half-life 2) this is handle by the engine itself and works very very well which uses soundscapes with DSP effects built in.

The best sound engine for games atm is the source engine and thats no bullshit.

ArmA: 10 shots -> 7 kills -> battle is over.

Real fights: 1000 shots 7 kills -> battle goes on.

---

But yes, realistic sounds are important too.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

yeah we all know what you mean...

Its really anoying when it happens.

Ais fire better then the best human sniper.

anyway they fixed some sounds for this 1.07 patch.

wait and see.. smile_o.gif

Its not hard to make sound effects i live in the UK and dont have access to any firearms but good golly miss molly theres the internet with stuff like youtube you can get all the sounds you want from guns being blasted off by those crazy yanks.. I personnaly think the sounds in BIS could have been alot better and being paid or not being paid has nothing to do with it, its all a mater of experience and skill which this chap dont have. Just look at how messy the sound folders hes still left all the left over work which was supposed to be deleted.

About the reverb this should handled by the engine not by 3rd party or the sounds themselfs but the game engine like source engine (half-life 2) this is handle by the engine itself and works very very well which uses soundscapes with DSP effects built in.

You can't take low fidelity sources like youtube and expect them to sound great in a high fidelity medium. Moreover, you can't just plunder the internet for other people's media bits and then sell them for a profit. Your entire post is brimming with lies.

You can't take low fidelity sources like youtube and expect them to sound great in a high fidelity medium. Moreover, you can't just plunder the internet for other people's media bits and then sell them for a profit. Your entire post is brimming with lies.

How so? ive been a sound designer for almost 9 years now and in that time ive learnt alot of tricks to make audio sound better. Ive been using stuff like youtube and other videos from the net to do all my weapon sound designing after a bit of editing work and mixing them with other sounds they sound just fine.. And no im not talking about the shitty audio which is recorded with a crap built in mic i get the stuff thats been recorded with a proper microphone plugged into the recording device, you do know what the means dont you? icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh and btw this is kinda audio i work from

How so? ive been a sound designer for almost 9 years now and in that time ive learnt alot of tricks to make audio sound better. Ive been using stuff like youtube and other videos from the net to do all my weapon sound designing after a bit of editing work and mixing them with other sounds they sound just fine.. And no im not talking about the shitty audio which is recorded with a crap built in mic i get the stuff thats been recorded with a proper microphone plugged into the recording device, you do know what the means dont you? icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh and btw this is kinda audio i work from

That audio sounds pretty compressed to me.

And I hope you don't get caught for selling other people's property. Allegations like that can deep six your whole company.

Gotta agree with what is being said here. Normal mics on the videocamera are nowhere near good enough to capture the full dynamics of the sounds if that's the correct word to use for it.

Go to a shooting range and record the shooting while you remove any earmuffs or whatever they're called. Hell bring an expensive mic too.

Also reverb (which I assume means echo?) would be a nightmare to implement with all the different materials in the game. Like the echo when you're firing inside a wooden house, a concrete house, in a city, between a forrest and a city and so on.

I do however welcome any improvement that can be offered. smile_o.gif

I'll take a trip to Baghadad, with my trusty creative zen, and make the best sound mod ever smile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

That being said, however...you know, it doesn't take much to find a source in the states that'll record them for you. Hell, you could probably put an open request on these forums (or the NRA forums) and get enough sound bites to fill a dozen games...or if that is too cheap, I'm sure theres a studio over here that does Hi-Fi recordings of firearms. It's not like the distance is really all that much of an obstacle..that's why we have email...or, worst case scenario, it has to be sent priority mail on a dvd..gosh! icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anyone noticed in real-life some wild-life ambient sounds - like birds singing, butterfly fluttering, or maybe a gentle murmur of a brook - right after some SHOOTING? smile_o.gif

It's not just about sound samples.

It would be very great if Arma sound engine had a technology similar to the visual HDR.

Even small-arms fire makes threshold of sensivity of your ears much higher. An M136-like weapon shot makes you nearly deaf for some period of time. And explosions are really deafening.

It would be very great if Arma sound engine had a technology similar to the visual HDR.

It has.

Sound like good news to me smile_o.gif

But really i can't find this technology's effects in the game. For example, i can hear ambient sounds of nature right after firing a .50 cal machinegun. And even nearby explosions don't make my "player character" deaf.

Something is not right then.

As far as I know ArmA's "HDR for sound" is only good for making a Mi-17 silent when it passes behind a tree.

Sounds occlusion isn't high dynamic range.

The high dynamic range audio gives you real life decibel ranges... just like being in a bright environment and looking into a dark window makes the environment look normal but the room inside the window look very dark, or being in a dark room looking out into a bright environment makes the room look normal but the environment very bright, hdr audio normalizes audio levels.

If you're listening to some vehicle driving around in the distance, and a rifle goes off in your ear, the gun doesn't sound super loud, but you stop being able to hear the vehicle for a second. If there was a huge gunfight going on, you wouldn't really be able to hear that distant vehicle at all. It's a sort of Psycho-audial sound mixing system. If you're in a very loud environment, like next to a running abrams, other sounds, like the chirping of birds, will be very quiet in comparison.

So they actually can have a jet taking off as loud as a jet taking off, but without the hearing damage.

For the record, let us reconstruct the words 'high dynamic range' to get an understanding of what HDR actually means. It doesn't mean cool post processing, necessarily, or other special effects, or sound occlusion. A dynamic range is a ratio of values between the smallest and the largest numbers of a changeable quantity. So the range is both high (large) and dynamic (changing). That's all it means. It's a way of coping with huge ranges of decibel or light quantities in a dynamic environment.

And as for the complaints about weapon sounds... I don't really understand where they're coming from. I haven't fired nearly as many weapons as are modeled in ArmA, but I can tell you that the Makarov and SVD sound good enough that I can't tell them apart from the real thing [er, other than the obvious fact that no speakers will EVER sound like a real gun]. I think the key may be to get some good, loud speakers and turn the volume up.

You may be comparing the in-game sounds to the insanely overproduced hollywood type gun sounds you hear most everywhere else, which certainly mimic the piercing effect of a real gunshot. But this also misrepresents the actual sound. In reality, that effect comes from the VOLUME, not fancy EQ. So ArmA, turned way up, sounds more real to me than almost anything else. [i qualify with "almost" because I know there are still going to be better examples out there]

It has.

can you please inform since wich patch? smile_o.gif

edit: typo

It has.

can you please infrom since wich patch? smile_o.gif

Since version 1.3.5110 at the very minimum. I think since version 1.0.

i think HDR was core to everything including the AI (lookup glare, moon light, stuff like that and how they affect the AI)

i actually thought the default sounds are alright tbf, i havent tried that FDF soundpack yet

EDIT: i didnt really think what you meant by reverb, EAX is usually the choice of sound API to achieve this so i guess either newer drivers on a EAX card, OpenAL update or ArmA update

Sounds occlusion isn't high dynamic range.

The high dynamic range audio gives you real life decibel ranges... just like being in a bright environment and looking into a dark window makes the environment look normal but the room inside the window look very dark, or being in a dark room looking out into a bright environment makes the room look normal but the environment very bright, hdr audio normalizes audio levels.

If you're listening to some vehicle driving around in the distance, and a rifle goes off in your ear, the gun doesn't sound super loud, but you stop being able to hear the vehicle for a second. If there was a huge gunfight going on, you wouldn't really be able to hear that distant vehicle at all. It's a sort of Psycho-audial sound mixing system. If you're in a very loud environment, like next to a running abrams, other sounds, like the chirping of birds, will be very quiet in comparison.

So they actually can have a jet taking off as loud as a jet taking off, but without the hearing damage.

For the record, let us reconstruct the words 'high dynamic range' to get an understanding of what HDR actually means. It doesn't mean cool post processing, necessarily, or other special effects, or sound occlusion. A dynamic range is a ratio of values between the smallest and the largest numbers of a changeable quantity. So the range is both high (large) and dynamic (changing). That's all it means. It's a way of coping with huge ranges of decibel or light quantities in a dynamic environment.

My mistake. You are of course right. I just wanted to complain about the overzealous occlusion.

I still wish loud stuff sounded louder. And have you seen the VBS2 videos? The really long one showing off tracers a lot. It reallllllllly makes the ArmA sounds sound like sh*t by comparison. What percentage of sounds in ArmA are recycled from OFP anyway? 30%?