Sign in to follow this  
Novusordo

jet planes rediculously unpredictable

ok so i have my jets with their pilots outside ready to man them on radio alpha and I set the move waypoint at the other end of the runway then another one a good 5KM infront of the runway then another going diagnal about 1KM from the target i want bombing and set this waypint to "LIMITED" so they fly low over the target.

Next I set two waypoints for each jet bomber with this in the ON ACT field...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">jet1 fire "BombLauncher"; and <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">jet2 fire "BombLauncher";, respectively.

Then finally i then set move waypoints right 5km infront of the bomb release waypoints then a final move waypoint miles and miles away out to sea.

I initiatly painted these waypoints right on the spots i want the bombs to hit but it soon became apparent that the bombs fall in a diagnol fashion and so it's required to set the waypoints a fair distance away from the spot u want bombing.

Anway, they are ridiculously innacurate and frustratingly random no matter how many tweaks and changes i make.

one time they will fly across the target perfectly and bomb the spots perfectly for a few times in a row then the next second they might just fly over the target nicely but the bombs will fall short/long then other times they will miss flying over the target by miles.

it's rididulous.

please reveal the secret of making accurate/reliable air strikes.

please reveal the secret of making accurate/reliable air strikes.

I got two words for you: Laser guiding. There is a current thread about this topic somewhere in this forum.

ok i tried lazing a target but it did not help.

am i doing it right? I equip the laser designator, paint an enemy vehicle in the base with it's corsshairs then hit fire.

do i need to hit fire then leave the designators crosshair painted over the target untill the airstrike is done??

damm theres not even any info on the designator in the game manual. ffs.

do i need to hit fire then leave the designators crosshair painted over the target untill the airstrike is done??

That's the way it's done IRL.

That's the way it's done IRL.

ok i removed the waypoints over the base that order the jets to release bombs and just made the jets fly over it and tried using the laser designator on one of the BMP2's in the base and the jets just flew over the base and diden't drop their load.

so laser designator was useless....

EDIT: OMG I just tried lazing again and the first bomber totally missed the base and the second bomber actually hit me and i was on a hilltop 1km away.

ffs why??

EDIT: I just changed position on the map so i could view the strike from a massive mountain top and fuck knows why but the jets went a completely different direction. i tried 3 times and it happend evertime.

then i changed positon back to where i was and the strike was fine. checked 3 times and it was fine on all 3 accounts.

then i changed position somewhere else and tried 3 times and each time it veered off a compeltely different direction.

W T F huh.gif

Please help.

Must be something with the pathfinding for the fixed winged aircraft. Idk but I have the same problem aswell.

Try setting them to fly in at a higher altitude. I think a lot of the problem comes from 2 things.

1. The aircrafts flyinheight is relative to the terrain so as the terrain height changes so does the aircraft. This causes the long and short problem with bombs

2. The aircraft tries to maneuver to avoid high terrain etc which gives you lateral variance on the bomb run.

I've had some successes trying to do this with aircraft with a 500m flyinheight and on a careless order.

Try setting them to fly in at a higher altitude. I think a lot of the problem comes from 2 things.

1. The aircrafts flyinheight is relative to the terrain so as the terrain height changes so does the aircraft. This causes the long and short problem with bombs

2. The aircraft tries to maneuver to avoid high terrain etc which gives you lateral variance on the bomb run.

I've had some successes trying to do this with aircraft with a 500m flyinheight and on a careless order.

thanks but it dident work, the inflightheight thingy. i tried setting to careless, safe, ect before with no difference.

this is painful mad_o.gif

Also remember the better ranked AI pilots do better than the default ones, might pay to play with pilot setting when you put your units on map locations.

DragoFire

yea i tried sergeant and ful skill/ect but no difference. lol i will try colonol or whatever the highest is once i get back home.

There are several things going on here.

First there is a posed AI Pathfinding bug that is acknowledged.

Second though computers are amazing things they cant prosess data the same way IE at the exact same time, every time due to other demands and glitches. Not to mention Windows its self.

You will find this task next to impossable. Espcially until BIS fixes the Pathfinding issues.

It was next to impossable in OFP and I dont expect ArmA will be much different. This has always been a very advanced endevor requiring alot of scripting.

Quote[/b] ]ok so i have my jets with their pilots outside ready to man them on radio alpha and[snip]
Quote[/b] ]thanks but it dident work, the inflightheight thingy.

Make sure you run the flyInHeight command on the plane/chopper and not the pilot. Didn't the plane fly higher at all, or was it just the bombing that went wrong?

welcome.gif Novusordo welcome to the club,

Actually, there isn't a method to make jet do it in current version, unless BIS release a new patch to fix this BUG.

unfortunately, it seems that BIS doesn't feel it is a BUG.

crazy_o.gif

Did you try with these WP configurations :

Combat mode : Never fire

Speed : limited

Behavior: careless

Quote[/b] ]ok so i have my jets with their pilots outside ready to man them on radio alpha and[snip]
Quote[/b] ]thanks but it dident work, the inflightheight thingy.

Make sure you run the flyInHeight command on the plane/chopper and not the pilot. Didn't the plane fly higher at all, or was it just the bombing that went wrong?

welcome.gif Novusordo welcome to the club,

Actually, there isn't a method to make jet do it in current version, unless BIS release a new patch to fix this BUG.

unfortunately, it seems that BIS doesn't feel it is a BUG.

crazy_o.gif

Did you try with these WP configurations :

Combat mode : Never fire

Speed : limited

Behavior: careless

ah now that is impossible since I must use an EMPTY Harrier in becuase otherwise the pilot moves immediately.

Damm, looks like we gonna have to rely on scripts, then.

Actually I don't think i tried "never fire" but i'm not using michaels airstrike script albeit heavily modified by myself to be more realsitic.

You should get that airstrike sript vom mr.murray and remove/change the radio trigger with your own trigger.

Set that objekt/marker a little before the area u want to hit.

It works for me .