Sign in to follow this  
jkandjdk

armed assualt weapons

does armed assualt have a TOW missile launcher for the HMMWV. I downloaded an add-on for OFP, but it wasn't realistic. The tube was good and the set up was good, but the firing wasn't good at all. With a TOW, you can track a vehicle moving left to right or whatever until the wires extend. a TOW is a tracking weapon, not like the LAW rocket.

It has but doesn't work properly. In full real mode it just follows slightly below line of site. There is not tracking capability so in a nutshell it's porked.

Same applies for the BRDM and BMP AT missiles!

icon_rolleyes.gif

BIS should really look at the WGL TOW, it's almost perfect, only problem with it is that when you track a moving vehicle perpendicularly at center mass it'll miss, you do not need to lead a target with a TOW.

BIS should really look at the WGL TOW, it's almost perfect, only problem with it is that when you track a moving vehicle perpendicularly at center mass it'll miss, you do not need to lead a target with a TOW.

No-one seemed to get it right (OFP's limitation most likely.), they all adjust their position too slow and start doing so at about 400 meters. That distance could be somewhat okay with AT-5 and other fast missiles but not with slower TOW.

Funny thing is that with Operation Frenchpoint-addon's missilesystems i remeber clearly that i was able to hit moving vehicles (about 40 km/h) relatively easy with both Milan and Eryx. Tested it about year later but result weren't good at all: If tank moved over 20km/h Milan- and Eryx-missile couldn't keep up. Well, it can be that i just remeber it wrong.

Is it really difficult for BIS to study what each weapon does and don't do to add to the realism. I spent 10 years in the Army as a TOW gunner. I'll still have fun playing the game, but it's the attention to detail that will set this game apart. This and OFP would be the standards for which all military games are judged if the pay a little more attention on accurate weapons.

Is it really difficult for BIS to study what each weapon does and don't do to add to the realism. I spent 10 years in the Army as a TOW gunner. I'll still have fun playing the game, but it's the attention to detail that will set this game apart. This and OFP would be the standards for which all military games are judged if the pay a little more attention on accurate weapons.

agreed 100%.

For me the tanks in ArmA was a horrible anticlimactic experience.

I'm sure they are well aware of how the weapons work.

Oh really? Then how come the aim point doesn't work, TOW's aren't steeable, there's no ironsight's for grenade launchers,

TIS screen for the TC, all weapons have tracers on EVERY bullet, the AT-4 is a rocket and so on and so on......

TOW's aren't steerable to certain degrees. you have to keep the site on your target until the missile hits it, and if you think it's easy..join the Army and try the real one. it doesn't shoot over water and if the tank or target goes behind a tree or other object..it's hard to tell where it will come out as.

TOW's aren't steerable to certain degrees. you have to keep the site on your target until the missile hits it, and if you think it's easy..join the Army and try the real one. it doesn't shoot over water and if the tank or target goes behind a tree or other object..it's hard to tell where it will come out as.

I am perfectly aware of all of those things, would you call the TOW in ArmA realistic? No, it's a rocket not a wire guided missile.

I think it can fire over water. I think that if you're using a thermal sight that the target going behind trees would make little difference.

edit: I think that since one of the primary users of the TOW is the marines that it would be a little irresponsible of them to invest in such an expensive weapon system if it couldn't fire over water.

edit: Also, they have fire and forget TOWs, top-down attack TOWs... strawberry TOWs... tartar control TOWs...

Oh really? Then how come the aim point doesn't work, TOW's aren't steeable, there's no ironsight's for grenade launchers,

I can't lase target's as tank gunner, there's no auxiliary reticles, no TIS screen for the TC, all weapons have tracers on EVERY bullet, the AT-4 is a rocket and so on and so on......

It's not like they don't know. You seriously think that BIS considers ArmA's weapons and vehicles realistic? crazy_o.gif

well if they know then why not make the weapons realistic? It just a case of a little research. Is it just to make a bigger distinction between this and VBS2? Because most people who buy this game are after the realism.

I think it can fire over water. I think that if you're using a thermal sight that the target going behind trees would make little difference.

There's limit for it shooting over water. Depending of couple of factors. Bushes/trees can cause troubles to wire, but individual trees/bushes won't cause trouble if wire don't get stuck to it... Tank hiding behind bush rofl.gif

@jkandjdk: How is the shooting so hard huh.gif I reached accuracylevel of 90% in first shootings (doing with laser)... Allmost all of my subordinates reached atleast same level and Our regular gunner never missed (stationary and moving targets)... Recoiless guns or AT-launchers are way more harder to aim and hit even to close ranges (less ~200 meters).

Hardest and most important part of TOW-handling is to keep that cubersome thing hidden and disassembling it as fast as possible, to get out from possible impactzone. I envied our AT-5-squads, as it's much faster to dissassemble, ofcourse when AT-5 turns around and guides itself back to missilesystem, i more happilly stay with TOW crazy_o.gif

Shooting by my experience is mildest part of whole TOW-thing. Really important work is performed before and after launching missile and when thet missile hits... So atleast i don't really care how ArmA does that: click-and-lock or guided.

well if they know then why not make the weapons realistic? It just a case of a little research. Is it just to make a bigger distinction between this and VBS2? Because most people who buy this game are after the realism.

To reduce the complexity of the program and its operation.

There's limit for it shooting over water. Depending of couple of factors. Bushes/trees can cause troubles to wire, but individual trees/bushes won't cause trouble if wire don't get stuck to it... Tank hiding behind bush rofl.gif

Haha, now that you mention it it does sound a little ridiculous.

Hardest and most important part of TOW-handling is to keep that cubersome thing hidden and disassembling it as fast as possible, to get out from possible impactzone. I envied our AT-5-squads, as it's much faster to dissassemble, ofcourse when AT-5 turns around and guides itself back to missilesystem, i more happilly stay with TOW crazy_o.gif

Wow! That's crazy! Under what circumstances would an at-5 get turned around? huh.gif

second wrote...

Quote[/b] ]@jkandjdk: How is the shooting so hard   I reached accuracylevel of 90% in first shootings (doing with laser)... Allmost all of my subordinates reached atleast same level and Our regular gunner never missed (stationary and moving targets)... Recoiless guns or AT-launchers are way more harder to aim and hit even to close ranges (less ~200 meters).

The real life TOW is hard to operate, not the game TOW. that's why we spend such a long time training with them.

The real life TOW is hard to operate, not the game TOW. that's why we spend such a long time training with them.

Yeah... I spent one year in AT-training and amout of time that was used to aiming and shootingtraining was minimal (we had more with AT-launchers and Recoiless gun).

Wow! That's crazy! Under what circumstances would an at-5 get turned around? huh.gif

Who knows, there's not manuals to be had anymore for it, so i don't know much about that system as it was trained/used in other brigades than TOW. But it isn't normal, something has to been happened inside guiding unit... And by my hearing it was only case, other times they just crashed ground.

this AT-5 Spandrel is little bit outdated confused_o.gif

systems in use are AT-14 Kornet and against MBTs like Leo/M1A2 the AT-15.

Whats up with LOSAT/EFOGM those weapons can be fired from HMMWV.... ?