Sign in to follow this  
quicksand

Armed Assault on the right path

unless I just couldnt see the hundreds of ai units hiding in the bushes.

Once again... the only limitation to the number of AI, in any game engine, is your CPU and the quality of the AI. Sure, you can have thousands of dumb drones that bounce off walls aimlessly but if you want them to have any intelligence, you need to sacrifice quantity in favour of quality.

Crysis has HDR that affects the gameplay realistically, clumps of trees have dark shadows that are hard to see into and looking out from a dark area into sunlight is blinding. ArmA really needed this: HDR that actually works.

Quote[/b] ]I'm not migrating to Vista for years (if ever).

rofl.gif Thats the best one I've heard all day tounge2.gif

BIS are taking good advantage of DX9 on in a very tasteful and effective way. I'm sure that if their next generation game features DX10, it will also take good advantage of those features in a tasteful and effective way.

Dear God please, no DX10 dependency! I'm not migrating to Vista for years (if ever).

Well game 2 wont be out for years.

By the time Game 2 comes out many games will be DX10 only. It wouldn't make sense to stick to DX9.

Ah, Armed Assault is just great... no question about it.

I think we just got too spoiled with the perfection Operation Flashpoint had reached. Now the hard work is starting once again.

Still, something that bothers me (and cant be changed) is the official campaign.. I mean what the xxxxx did BIS smoke when creating it?? I thought Resistance had taught us, that only a down to earth and authentic story would be appreciated by the community.

But instead they gave us this Sims reporter and those cliché Marines. I hated them from the first second onwards and was desperate to change sides and shoot that over ambitious woman. Every time I finished a mission I was afraid having to go back to these Walt Disney Cutscenes.

Is that how BIS thaught they could boost their sales in the US???

Guest Ti0n3r

It's getting better and bettter. I can just imagine what ArmA will be like in about a year or so. More patches, release of mod tools etc inlove.gif

Quote[/b] ]By the time Game 2 comes out many games will be DX10 only. It wouldn't make sense to stick to DX9.

What would really make sense is to switch into OpenGL for gfx. That way everyone's happy: XP, Vista, Linux and maybe even MacOS users.

BIS is indeed steadily working on improving ArmA

just the other day I got notified that one of the bugs (objects locking AI pathfinding) which I filed in the bug tracker got resolved.

I can only encourage you to bring specific bugs to BIS' attention via the bug tracker, as it is really useful

Quote[/b] ]By the time Game 2 comes out many games will be DX10 only. It wouldn't make sense to stick to DX9.

What would really make sense is to switch into OpenGL for gfx. That way everyone's happy: XP, Vista, Linux and maybe even MacOS users.

Only if OpenGL gets an update that can match DX10.

and when M$ gives up it's monopoly (wich is never)

There's no magic in DX10, it doesn't turn bad games with crap art into gold or anything. While it may initially support some gfx card features that OpenGL doesn't, I don't think any of those will be neccessary for a large scale sandbox like game as Game2 since it can't compete graphically with the Big Evil Companies'® Corridor Shooters™ anyway.

There's no magic in DX10, it doesn't turn bad games with crap art into gold or anything. While it may initially support some gfx card features that OpenGL doesn't, I don't think any of those will be neccessary for a large scale sandbox like game as Game2 since it can't compete graphically with the Big Evil Companies'® Corridor Shooters™ anyway.

It depends on what you want to see, Metal Heart... If you'd rather like to see vast battles across huge areas featuring almost infinite units, it'll rather be the case of said Big Evil Companies' Corridor Shooters being unable to compete with ArmA or Game2! biggrin_o.gif