Sign in to follow this  
swtx

ATI users check this out !

I'm going to keep this short and sweet wink_o.gif

I have been researching this LOD problem and I may have found a solution.

I have tried everything from updating my drivers to the current version (7.3) to using the latest Omega drivers and still no luck with solving the LOD and corrupt textures bug until now.

I rolled my drivers all the way back to the 6.11 version (Nov. 2006) and for the last 48 hours I have been playing completely error free. Thats right, error free.

It's been absolutley amazing.  My FPS are running between 20-30 fps and the lods are not popping in and flickering like they were with no corrupt textures.

You can download the 6.11 drivers right here

Unfortunatley they do not support the X1650 card.

I hope this solves some problems for everyone as it did with me  biggrin_o.gif

My specs:

Intel P4 3.4 Gig

2 Gig 533 Mghz memory

Asus p5gd2 Mainboard

WD 105 gig HDD

ATI X800 256 Meg series GPU w/ 6.11 Catalyst drivers

Apple 23" Cinema Display monitor

Ingame settings:

Visabilty: 1200

Resolution: 1600x1200

Refresh: 60Hz

Terrain: Very High

Object detail: Very High

Texture detail: High

Shading: Very High

Post PP: Low

Anistropic Filter: Disabled

Shadow detail: Disabled

Antialiasing: Disabled

Blood: High

Again I hope this solves some problems for everyone.  Please post your feedback below.

Thanks for the heads up wink_o.gif But this has already been identified in the stickies!

6.7 is the latest version of Catalyst without a handle leak and without the LOD bugs...

It also supports more cards.

But if anyone is still getting problems with 6.7 try using 6.11 if ur card is supported smile_o.gif

^ the LOD bug doesn't have ANYTHING to do with a memory leak. It's an IN-GAME BUG that NEEDS TO BE FIXED. You still haven't figured that out?

In ATI Tray Tools is something like "Geometry Instancing" (Tweaks\Standard Tweaks). It helps with "memory leak" on all versions of drivers.

erm how GI can help memory leak ...

handles leak exists even with it on or off ...

GI enabled helps as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_instancing

all drivers from 6.8 up to 7.3 including 7.2 beta and 7.3 Stalker hotfix contain handles leak (yet since 7.3 only Intel platfrom users are affected)

I just installed 6.11 drivers and can confirm that the LOD bug doesn't seem to be as bad now... not sure if im getting the memory leak with these drivers but i don't think so.

still very poor performance though

I have a Radeon X1600 with 6.7 drivers and 512mb of memory. It STILL gives me the Blue Screen Of Death!

I will give the 6.11 drivers a try...

sad_o.gif

Ok, are you removing the drivers first or just installing over the top ? Use Drivercleaner to remove the drivers before you change them or you may have newer or older files left on the system that could effect performance.

Also, a great way of helping although I find it odd as it works 80% of the time is to put -maxmem=512 BEFORE the -mod=beta statement on your shortcut or batch file which ever you use.

Performance seems to increase with this. Drivers hopefully will be fixed in the coming months... anyone from BIS care to comment ?

yeah personally I made sure i done a completely clean driver install... since ive been installing about 10 different driver versions over the past few days if you dont clean out old drivers things can get muddled up...

so try clearing out ALL old ati files, registry files (check this guide if you need help: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html )

THEN do a clean, fresh install of 6.7

like i said though the problem is still there, just not as bad.

Ok, are you removing the drivers first or just installing over the top ? Use Drivercleaner to remove the drivers before you change them or you may have newer or older files left on the system that could effect performance.

Yep, I made sure I did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the drivers.

And I tried the maxmem=512 command. The graphics looked very slightly poorer, my framerate stayed the same and it still crashed! crazy_o.gif

My specs are

ATI Radeon X1600 with 512mb vid ram and 6.7 drivers.

1gb RAM

250gb HDD (90gb free)

Pentium D processor at 3.2 ghz

Quote[/b] ]The graphics looked very slightly poorer, my framerate stayed the same and it still crashed!

Try disabling your Catalyist AI. I read some where that it can cause blue screens and fatal errors. Hope this helps wink_o.gif