Sign in to follow this  
deevius

LOD Bug

Laughing too hard at the bobbo or bozo or whatever his nick is has the texture bug after using a nuke but claims no scripts were running (how did the nuke happen then?)

Hi big boy

Ah... I should've known that there comes someone who doesn't understand that I was joking... I am sorry if I wrote my post so that it isn't clear that the nuclear warhead attack was a joke. I will never ever joke again here if I sense that you might be around.

And if you had taken the time needed to read and understand my post in whole, you could have noticed that I did not say that the visual problem visible in the screenshot I posted is a bug, as I said for two times in my post that the hardware I am using has insufficient performance for ArmA (and thus I can't say it is a bug). The screenshot is a good demonstration of what can happen if the performance of the hardware and ArmA's requirements don't match and that is the reason for the whole post, I wanted to show how ugly it can get when the computer is unable to provide the needed performance. Also I think it was a scene looking like it had been attacked by some big missile, which lead to the joke.

This is a forums for a highly technical simulation.

Armed Assault is a computer game, I am sure you noticed that...? If you look closely at the front page of these forums, you will find text:

Quote[/b] ]BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE GAMES FORUMS

ArmA is not professional software like for example Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, which can be quite big and complex monsters to use and to maintain, not even very experienced people can master those programs completely. If you are trying to say that Armed Assault is such a piece of software that it is only meant for some... hmm... big boy? user group then I think you are quite lost somewhere... as Armed Assault is, after all, a computer game only.

You must not have been talking about me when you talk about whining people, as I did not do so in my post and I tried to clearly indicate that my post is not a bug report and not whining, just a post about my experiences directly related to the topic.

Best Wishes,

Baddo.

BUMP

Goddamn I am SICK OF THIS BUG!!! I cant believe i paid money for this piece of crap game that looks like lego land or something...BLOODY RIDICULOUS

FIX THIS CRAP BIS!!!!

BUMP

Goddamn I am SICK OF THIS BUG!!! I cant believe i paid money for this piece of crap game that looks like lego land or something...BLOODY RIDICULOUS

FIX THIS CRAP BIS!!!!

Strange, new beta ARMA and beta nvidia drivers bug has gone.

So is it a bug or is ARMA showing up hardware/bios/technical issues on some PC's?

Arma is the best stress test yet!

both ATI and Nvidia cards both have suffered the LOD bug. But I had it and nows it gone.

hmmm....

it seems to be a variety of different factors. Ive got ATI video card, switched to 6.11 catalyst drivers today and its not as bad, but it's still there.... from the very start of a mission... 6 troops in a transport and they're all missing textures... its so damn ugly

the weird thing is it has been reported many times that before 1.05 patch there were NEVER any lod bugs to be seen, and peformance in 1.04 was BETTER than both of the new patches...

which means that performance is degrading with each new patch   crazy_o.gif

I have a Radeon X1600 with 512mb of memory. It crashes on me with 6.11, 6.7, 6.8, 7.1 and 7.2 drivers. 7.1 was the worst offender. I have tried turning all of the settings down to minimum, and I have tried the maxmem 512 command, but it still keeps crashing!

the weird thing is it has been reported many times that before 1.05 patch there were NEVER any lod bugs to be seen, and peformance in 1.04 was BETTER than both of the new patches...

Cant agree with you here deevius. I`v had the same problem straight out of the 1.04 box.

And no change in 1.05 or 1.05+beta (or whatever its called).

This is the most annoying bug yes. If you turn around a little (fast) (esp in towns) you'll notice it or if you binoc in out (fast). I've got two high-end cards and the prob is there. It loads/applies textures and models when you look "at" them it seems. I think these should be placed into some buffer. That way it will be easier/faster to read.

I found this in the changelog for Beta version of 1.06

5138 - Fixed: Measures implemented to avoid textures being placed in AGP,

which often caused degraded performance after prolonged playing.

Deevius, have you noticed any difference?

Thought not!

has anyone tried disabling AGP texture acceleration by running dxdiag.exe huh.gif?

I can't say I have ever seen this bug. I have only had ArmA a few weeks now and have played it quite a bit and haven't seen this yet. Most my settings are at high except post processing at low, I can't say I really the blurry look high detail gives me. And my AA is set to normal. Running this at 1024 x 768, I average about 35-40 fps.

Specs:

Intel P4 3.67Ghz Hyperthreaded- Abit AA8XE Mobo

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Nvidia 7950GT 512Mb

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Nothing is overclocked, stock setup from Alienware, except video card was upgraded a few months ago.

Still working it out myself, but I think it's mostly an 8800 driver issue, and the problem seems to be exacerbated with Vista. I get the bug whenever I put texture detail on anything above normal.

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I just want to add something here:

When I first bought ArmA, I had a 2800+ AMD, 1gig and a 6800 vanilla. The game ran fine (1.5), with no problems, but a slightly crap framerate; but hey, what did I expect?

I then upgraded to an e6600, 8800GTS 320MB, and 2gigs dual channel ram (Using XP, not Vista). Now, I am getting the LOD bug bigstyle, with blank textures, or at best low-res ones appearing more and more as time goes on. Perversely, the framerate is pretty rotten too.

This bug is most definitely a bug, no doubt about it. I doesn't affect everyone, but that doesn't stop it being a bug. As you can see, I had one system that suffered from it, and another that didn't. Anyway, just to clarify: This is NOT the textures taking a while to load, it is a wholesale failure of some, or most textures to load. They sit there blank or very low res, and it gets worse over time.

Now, all of the "Defrag! Set AGP aperture size (On PCIE?!)! You're doing something wrong, this game roxors!" crap in the world isn't going to do a thing, it's just irritating the hell out of those suffering this bug.

I would appreciate some news on how the next patch is progressing, and also, if this thread is to continue, the correct definition of the bug being stuck to, to minimise argument, and cut down on ridiculous technical "Advice" being given out.

I can't play until it's fixed sad_o.gif i know it sounds mad but i really hate playing on a pc i spent a fortune on with normal settings.

I've noticed the game stutters before the textures go bad for me though....

I changed my machine over about 1 month ago (as mentioned in signature) and it came with Vista and the game was pretty much unplayable, to which i thought it would be fixed by drivers/patches. So i went back to XP and the game ran fine with no LOD bug.

This week i decided to change back to Vista and update everything and nvidia driver to latest version (BETA v160.03), now the game runs really well now (performance wise) but the LOD bug is back even quicker (5mins).

I was playing Sahrani Virus and by the time it ended the only thing i could make out was the players, the rain and Blackhawk at the end.

I tried previous driver version (v158.18) and had the same problem, in XP i have none why is this?

Does this mean i can only enjoy this game using XP? confused_o.gif

Ok, well I'm using 160.03 drivers, but on XP. The LOD bug is there..

If people can get it working more often in XP than Vista, my suggestion is to dual-boot, as this isn't the only game that vista seems to crush beneath its bloated boot wink_o.gif

I have no intention of switching to the dreaded Vista until I absolutely HAVE to, but just to reiterate, this bug is occuring with XP too..