Sign in to follow this  
FilPedro

Skaven's Mercenaries

mercs.jpg

Some time ago in OFP I've made some Mercenaries for the community, now I'm bringing them back to ARMA.

The textures need some work, but the configs for both the soldiers and the weapons are done. I'm giving them an HK21 a G3 a Fal and an M14, mainly "old" weapons, the camouflage is Russian.

The weapons are imported from CS, I don't know if I'll be using them (with permission of course) or if I'll be making new ones myself. It's kind of hard for me to make better than this ones but... depends on the time I have and skill cough cough, it's been a long time since I've made some addons biggrin_o.gif

Hope you like them so far wink_o.gif

I remember those.

The textures look much better this time around. biggrin_o.gif

Are you doing vehicles as well or just the troops this time?

mercs1.jpg

A frontal picture.

This time with my forum account, I'm just gonna put my brother in game and kill him a couple of times for using my computer, I'll be back soon... he won't wink_o.gif

Yes I will be giving them some vehicles, nothing too fancy I like the idea of having them using old equipment so... a BRDM an old Tank and probably an UAZ will do for now biggrin_o.gif

They look like normal national soldiers... would you make them more merc-ish?

Karazy that is more or less the idea biggrin_o.gif This Mercs will be an army in the future, I start by making the soldiers, the weapons and later the vehicles so I can make an independent (Mercenary) Army for my missions.

I never liked the idea of having this "sort" of US vs Russia cold-war theme, so I make my own army, I can fight or join both sides and give them a good fight, specially the US since the East/Russia/Whatever is in my opinion in a big disadvantage.

Once I am able to open a soldier model in O2 (once BIS releases the tools), than i will of course change them and give them a less National look like, the helmet for example will certainly be changed.

I thought on using the East Sniper model but, I really like this back pack and giving them a model without one would make the model extremely poor so... I'm sorry but for now this will have to do, later I will update them wink_o.gif

Excellent.

What about using the U.S. Rifleman's rolled up sleeves, though? That looks much more merc-ish with what he have to work with.

I'm so glad we're on the same boat, rofl.

The US Rifleman as no back pack so the model is a little bit poor for what I have in mind wink_o.gif The closest to your idea would be the Independent Royal Commando model.

I thought about using the Royal Commando but look closely to the back pack, it as bags attached to it which in my opinion look kind of weird confused_o.gif Still... it's an idea, I'll probably give it a try, thank you wink_o.gif

I think the beret soldier model is pretty "merc'ish" myself.

Troops in berets and russian camo using Hk21's, G3's and Fn's would look less USA.

EDIT: I agree with the "old" weapons but thats where the more modern looking US BDU/gear kinda conflicts with that.

Nothing terrible...just my 2 cents

But i'll for sure try these guys out when they are ready.  smile_o.gif

I will try other models as you both sugested, should be fairly simple since the base textures are made.

Thank you for your kind feedback wink_o.gif

They look good. Nice woodland cammo smile_o.gif

The idea to include new (“old styleâ€) weapons is nice as well. Btw if you cannot use CS ones', Vilas has already done a large complement of weapons you could use to equip your mercs, including the L1A (FAL) the M14 and an awesome L42 sniper rifle.

Looking great! I gather you're the same Skaven who made a lot of good looking addons for the original Flashpoint? Glad to see you back in the modding scene for Armed Assault! smile_o.gif Can't wait to see what you can make when we get the tools.

Thank you Hawkins biggrin_o.gif And yes it's me biggrin_o.gif

It's been some time since I made addons so I'm catching things back slowly tounge2.gif

They look good. Nice woodland cammo smile_o.gif

The idea to include new (“old styleâ€) weapons is nice as well. Btw if you cannot use CS ones', Vilas has already done a large complement of weapons you could use to equip your mercs, including the L1A (FAL) the M14 and an awesome L42 sniper rifle.

Yes, they're the smartest, most uniform-looking mercenary

unit I've ever seen. They must have an ex-Guards RSM or

something (joke! I do understand the current limitations).   biggrin_o.gif

Obsolete weaponry on a present day mercenary unit looks a

bit strange actually. Instead of a 1960s-era FAL wouldn't you

at least be better giving them the more modern DSA-58

variant?

The notion of any present day mercenary unit using a British

L42A1 rifle is ridiculous (in fact, they'd never have used them

even in the 1980s - because even then they were, frankly,

old fashioned and obsolescent). Nowadays an L42A1 rifle is a

rare and highly-sought after collectors item. An example in its

arms chest without any other accessories will easily sell for

about 4,000 pounds (just be careful not to get trampled by

the stampede of drooling Lee Enfield collectors! )

I see your point. And fully agree (thanks for the info btw). But I'm not sure Skaven intended to do modern mercs (maybe his mind is not set yet). Modern mercs (ooops sorry "contractors") look different, a bit like this guy wink_o.gif for example.

And I'm sure you would agree with me that L1A1 and L42 would be perfect to do a "Wild Geese" mod. wink_o.gif

Well to be honest I'm not thinking on making modern mercs, still.. I can make one or two more weapons to satisfy both needs or I may ask someone to make some for me I really have no problems in that, as long as it's one or two and not 10 or 20 more weapons. Than It's all a question of grouping them in the editor by age/era and definning Group Classes for easier placement. However the vehicles will be old and that isn't negotiable.

Now my first priority once we have the tools is to be able to change this model into a more merc-ish one, like changing the helmet, some of the equipement and putting a handgun in the holster.

There is still much to do as you can see biggrin_o.gif

nice work mate!

(and nice to see you again after all theise years smile_o.gifwelcome.gif back)

Look if it's not my favorite Danish addon maker biggrin_o.gif

It's nice to see you still here Frandsen and thank you for your kind words wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Well to be honest I'm not thinking on making modern mercs

Just another thought.

Mix your camo in with some OD or some other type to get the non uniform look.

Although a more uniform Merc army is a cool idea as well.

mercs2.jpg

Model suggested in game, arm patch replaced wink_o.gif

mercs3.jpg

Can't take more pictures, look at their faces they are mad at me icon_rolleyes.gif

Those look very nice Skaven.

May I suggest using subdued medic patches though. His fellows will still be able to identify him but he wont be a sniper bait anymore wink_o.gif

any chance for you to add civilian pick up trucks from arma with Mg and grenadelaunchers to make them look a bit merc style? smile_o.gif

would be very cool if they had their own ships, cars and stuff like that.

I will be giving them some vehicles, the ones you mentioned will also be taken in consideration, thank you for your input. wink_o.gif