Sign in to follow this  
breno2207

Dated audio

I just got ARMA today, anyone notice that they have recycled audio from OPFLASH? I mean it's taken them 6 years to make ARMA and they didnt update their audio bank to add to the immersion and realism of modern combat, even with EAX and hardware audio enabled, i'm not hearing bullets fired from behind which could suggest the audio hasnt been mixed in 5.1?? Other than this ARMA isnt too bad, take abit of getting into.

That's what I thought too when I first heard the sounds. It just reminded me so much of OFP that it didn't even bug me.

I couldn't turn on Hardware acceleration for audio in ArmA though, it'd crash my game all the time. Since switching to software mode, ArmA's been fine.

even OFP had some of the most pathetic sounds in its time no surprise ArmA's weren't exactly spectacular, but are a massive jump from OFP 1.00. They aren't bad with an X-Fi that has the crystalizer enabled at 100% and I couldn't understand why everyone complained, but then I turned it off and crazy_o.gif

As for your lack of 5.1 no idea whats going on there. Surround works perfectly for me, but the EAX sucks and doesn't really do anything other than lower and muffle sounds when they are behind (some) objects and terrain

to the other poster if you have an X-Fi make sure its in game mode otherwise the game likes to crash

Yeh my current PC is an Athlon 64 3500, 1GB RAM, 7800GTX with an audigy 2, on thursday it shall be a Core 2 Duo 6400 with 2GB 8800GTX and an X-Fi xtremeGamer i'll let you know how the sound is then with what? the crystaliser at 100%?

yes turn it on and off a couple of times, you'll notice when its off the sounds are very flat and bland like its muffled, the M4 well you might as well be tapping on your desk with your finger. Turn it on and it increases and improves the frequency range greatly, gives it a sharper and clearer crack with better bass. If the difference isn't astronomical after you've spent a good week or so fine tuning every setting then its a sign your speakers or headphones are just crap. It's like having a 12" black and white TV while watching HDTV its not gonna improve the picture beyond what the output device is capable of

I just got ARMA today, anyone notice that they have recycled audio from OPFLASH? I mean it's taken them 6 years to make ARMA and they didnt update their audio bank to add to the immersion and realism of modern combat, even with EAX and hardware audio enabled, i'm not hearing bullets fired from behind which could suggest the audio hasnt been mixed in 5.1?? Other than this ARMA isnt too bad, take abit of getting into.

Must be something wrong with your setup, then. I'm also using an Audigy 2 (no plans on updating) and positional audio works flawlessly here on my Teufel CEM 5.1 speakers as well as on my headset (with CMSS3D enabled).

I don't know where they got their sounds, but I'm quite certain that the good old OFP birdsong was used in Oblivion as well.

well personally i found most of the sounds somewhat bearable...

EXCEPT!. the M16 in ArmA sounds like the M4/M16 did in OFP. could've atleast used a new one or the ArmA M4 sound.

cause the OFP M16 sound is just horrible imho.

well personally i found most of the sounds somewhat bearable...

EXCEPT!. the M16 in ArmA sounds like the M4/M16 did in OFP. could've atleast used a new one or the ArmA M4 sound.

cause the OFP M16 sound is just horrible imho.

And the sounds of the AKS74UN (supressed) and M4SD crazy_o.gif ?

The sound muffling thing is a good feature but a little exagerated imo...

just got the FDF sound mod and while some (not many) of the sounds are better such as M24 and silenced M4, others such as the AK are just horrific crazy_o.gif it sounds like a cannon with a laser effect

Sticking to the default sounds

the sound i can't stand at all is that from the Ak or some rifle that is like pop corns roasting in a microwaves crazy_o.gif

One of the things that BIS got very right though is the way their sounds loop! There's nothing very obvious about the loops that makes it sound like something being played over and over, whereas some of the FDF sounds, for example, don't loop quite as well. I like the ka50 sound, though, I think it's a very interesting sound even if it's not so realistic (the actual kamov has a lot more rotar noise).

The recycled sounds OFP sounds are one of the most annoying parts of the game. It might be ok if the sounds were really good but they're not.