Sign in to follow this  
supergruntsb78

Grandma Drives/sails faster

first if this post is in the wrong section i apologise for it (if so please moderators move it to the right one)

i try to make a mission where you will be transported by boat to a beach and be dropped there (the player moves to boat gets in trigger gets activated and boat sails away)

well that is the meaning but the AI boat drivers (some cars do that to) sail like my grandma drives on the highway (120 KM/h allowed in NL and my grandma drives like 40 km/h:P)

is there a sulution to the terrible slow movemenmt rate of the boats (i tried to set their speed to full and differant other settings but no luck)

thnx for any sulution reply

I also tried to do a boat insertion! biggrin_o.gif

But soon gave up on the idea when i seen the speed of the A.I driving! wow_o.gif

the driver need to be on mod "careless" for full speed

You could always use setVelocity wink_o.gif

I made a script for OFP to control the movement of cars with setVelocity. It was only capable of controlling one vehicle at a time though, and has yet to be properly tested in ArmA, but in theory it should work fine for your needs.

You can find it here .

The speed that i tested is still not enough tested but this was the test:

MP, me as driver with the command "speed" being shown as a Hint.

Speed in km/h.

Vehicle               Max Speed        Max Speed with turbo key pressed

Zodiac - CRRC:        54                             70

Zodiac2 - CRRC:      54                              70

PBX - PBX Boat:      58                              70

RHIB:                     50                              67

RHIB2Turret:           50                              67

Well, this speed is not so accurate, because it depens on several conditions:

- If the boat has the wind in its back, it will get more speed.

- If the boat is sailing with the waves in front (against waves) then less speed.

- If the boats is being driven to coast you will get more speed.

So, after this statements that i think i observed in ArmA, that list of speed is more or less accurate.

Maybe 1 or 2 km/h more. Not tested yet sailing about 10 minutes in the direction of waves. Just 2 or 3 minutes with each kind of boat, just to test multiple directions.

Actually, it is taking a lot to reach that speed.

Well, maybe not a lot, just more time that tractor reaching his max speed, as example.

Boats are 'eating' fuel as if fuel costs 0 Euros per liter...

Just take it into account when putting AI's inside.

I hope, this helping in your future tests.

LynxEye @ Mar. 26 2007,18:04)]Boats are 'eating' fuel as if fuel costs 0 Euros per liter...

Are the boats American? That would explain it, as they pay almost nothing for their fuel.

Think about Ford Excursion  banghead.gif

Looking at the config.cpp file of ArmA1.04.5121/AddOns/water.pbo the following maxSpeed values can be found:

RHIB                maxSpeed = 60;

RHIB2Turret   maxSpeed = 60; (inherits from RHIB)

Zodiac               maxSpeed = 60;

Zodiac2             maxSpeed = 60; (inherits from Zodiac)

PBX                  maxSpeed = 65; (inherits from Zodiac but overrides maxSpeed)

<s>I don't know if the values are the same in latest version and can't check now.</s> Checked and yes the values are the same in ArmA 1.05.5136.

Cheers,

Baddo.

Hopefully one day, we'll eventually be able to run AI boats up onto the beach at full speed just like in OFP. That was so cool for fast insertion.

I've also had ago with the Velocity script in Arma and it does look useful but without more info on how to control I carn't do much with it.

Another issue as a fact when human players inside boats.

You will notice that the frequency of the sound of the motor, is changing in some 'fixed levels'. Well, 'speed' command is demonstrating me that motor sound not always matching the speed of the boat, is more or less the same to say:

- You can see more speed under speed command than the motor sound is 'showing' you. If you are pressing the key for 'accel. up' , the command 'speed' will show you, yes, you are accel.'ing but the sound of the motor, sometimes saying you 'nope, this motor can't give more speed, sry'.

And the speed of the boat without showing Hint on screen, can give you an 'error of concept' about the real speed of the boat, because when you in the sea, and so far away from ground references, how you noticing the speed?... with what visual reference you 'seeing' the speed? with more sound reference than visual reference?. Of course, you can see the 'waves' simulation as a reference too, as well as the 'splash' effect of the boat over waves.

I'm thinking that ArmA is simulating the behaviour of the movement of boats in water as 'sliding' it, adding it 'inertia'.

I mean, each time you pressing the 'turn right-left' keys or moving the mouse/joystick/joypads... etc ArmA is changing the direction so slow comparing with cars as example.

So because this last i'm saying 'sliding it', 'inertia'...

My video settings is so low. So, please, correct me if you never noticing this 'errors of concept' sometimes too.

- Then, mostly of time you inside a boat, you feeling like the boat is extremely slow by the sound, and in fact, yes, i think boats is a bit slow, at least, RHIB's is so slow compared his real behaviours. In the real life speed in boats is not km/h, and i suspect when i'm inside ArmA RHIB's, that the ArmA behaviour of RHIB's is a 'bit' slow. Maybe i'm wrong.

Just think about it but only a bit.

@ XCess

Does your script work in MP?

I have seen what it does in Sp and it works a treat with boats.

Cheers

GC