(RTS 10 vs. 10) Wine Wars

Wine Wars

Game Mode: Real Time Strategy - like CTI

Players: 10 vs. 10

Playing Time: 2 - 3 hours

JIP-Readyâ„¢: Yes!

Respawn: 60 seconds at mobile construction vehicle or at buildings

Description of the old version; Read the handbook for an updated description

This is a fictitious fight between two opposing commanders in world where prohibition still exists and the people are yearning for a drop of wine. Yes, illegal wine has even become more worth than money and people would do anything for a drop of wine. ^^

Each team starts on Rahmadi/Antigua where they have to wait for the commander to choose a starting position on Sahrani. While looking on the map, you will see blue flags in every town, accompanied by black markers which are symbolizing the wine fields. This is where you will collect the ressources from.

After selecting a starting position via mouse click, the whole team will be teleported there. You will get a mobile construction vehicle and a truck at start.

The first thing you should do is to build a central storage. As a commander, you have to sit in the mobile construction vehicle (MCV) in order to access the build menu. This building will store not only the wine but also the weapons and ammunition that you have to buy seperately. There are already some weapons in the storage for the players to pick up.

In order to do that, you have to access the central storage menu. I found it easy to walk to the buildings door and stare at them for the menu to appear.

Once inside the menu, you have to select your weapons loadout. Dont forget to select the NVGoggles as night will come very fast (accelerated time).

After that, your soldiers should move to the closest town. Among the players you will have one wine expert in your team. His duty is to check the quality of the wine fields. He (or the commander himself) can do that by walking to the flagpole, which is symbolizing the wine field, and select "Check field quality". The higher the number is, the faster your harvesters will collect wine grapes.

The rest of the players should try to grab the flag in town. Just press "Seize town" to grab the flag.

Back to the commander. He should build a research facility and a refinery now. Keep in mind to have enough space around the refinery. It is your duty to ensure that no obstacles are blocking the way between wine field and refinery. Each refinery you build will give you 5 free workers. Each town you conquer will give you 1 free worker.

Workers are needed to transform wine grapes into wine bottles in the refinery. Each worker can transform 10 kg grapes into 10 wine bottle every minute.

In the research facility menu, you will have the option to research new buildings and technologies. There is also a black market option, where you can buy weapons, equippment and the ammunition for those weapons. You have to research the appropriate technologies in order to buy better weapons later.

The weapons you buy will be stored in the cental storage where you can take them out as described above. Keep an eye on the ammunitions count or you will soon equip your AI soldiers with AT weapons but without rockets. wink_o.gif

In the refinery menu, you can buy tractors which will harvest grapes for you. You have to control at least one town in order to do that. Once you have conquered the town, its wine fields will be listed in the refinery menu. Select a field and press build and a tractor will soon drive between those two locations.

Each time you build a tractor, one worker will be deducted from the worker count and the price for the next tractor will raise by 25 wine bottles!

After you have researched the barracks, you should build one nearby. Access the barracks menu and you will find a similar interface like in the central storge menu. You can chose the weapons and the player you want to assign the soldiers to. Up to 10 soldiers can be trained simultaneously and each soldier will deduct 1 from the workers count.

Because you will have no workers soon, it is time to hire more workers. Select a number of workers and press hire. Each worker will cost 50 wine bottles (Yeah, they are all alcoholics).

At the garage, you can build all kinds of vehicles, empty or manned. Shouldn't be too hard now to figure out its menu.

Same applies to the helipad (choppers) and airport (choppers and planes).

Notice that most buildings can only be accessed by the commander.

The barracks can be used by normal players if you have 5000 or more bottles in the central storage AND at least 100 workers.

The garage can be accessed if you have more than 15000 bottles.

The commander will have a small commander action menu to remote access all the buildings. Each time you build a new building, you have to exit the commander menu (by clicking back) in order to refresh the list.

Your aim is:

-capture all blue flags

or

-destroy the enemy central storage, barracks, garage, helipad, airport and MCV

or

-drive them into bankruptcy

Each time you die, a certain amount of wine will be taken out of the storage as a penalty. If you don't watch out, you can go bankrupt!

My final aim is to change the graphical user interface more into something like in a classic strategy game. So keep an eye out for new versions. biggrin_o.gif

Wine Wars Manual

Wine Wars 1.00

I had the idea of having two seperate islands, each of them about the size of 3/4 of South Sahrani and each with 2 proper airports.

A nice big ocean seperating the two islands for epic sea fights with gigantic destroyers.

And then think about wine depots in the ground beneath the ocean , where you have to build a wine rig (oil rig) to pump the wine into a big tanker which in turn will transport it to the harbor. ^^ Lol...

It is sure not as feature rich as CTI or the REAL RTS that we know from OFP. I've just started developing on the mission from scratch a few weeks ago. But expect more to come. ^^

Heck, I haven't played CTI or RTS for a looong time so I don't know how far advanced those two mods are right now.

Maybe a short reply from me.

I played TiGGa's Winewars a lot already, and i think i may say my Winebottles and me are some reasons why he made this pretty cool mission smile_o.gif

We were waiting for CTI a few weeks ago and spoke about it and i drunk some nice Rioja whilst driving through Yoro, my personal Capital of Sahrani. Only few hours later TiGGa sent me a pretty nice Powerpoint presentation of "The War about the red gold". I was editing a mission of TiGGa atm, and was very sceptic if he is really able to do all this.

Few days later the first Tractor drove in front of my eyes from his Refinery to a nearby Field and then everything went pretty fast.

Today the version has already tons of stuff, i was just trying to look in the scripts and did not get fast through all this data but its very well done.

WineWars is a real Alternative in my eyes to CTI, since you also have to capture cities, build base strucutures and organize huge amounts of Troops. Of course main parts are still missing atm:

-AI Commander(i usually only play Coop and the AI in the cities is a bit "poor" atm.

-better GUI, which is working now, but newbs will be scared of the current Version

-The Addons for real Winefields instead of Flagpoles biggrin_o.gif

-Job sharing to take some work of the commanders shoulders

and last but not least

-the new real Wine-Islands

That shall not say its not worth playing WineWars right now. Its cool, its almost always different and its funny ! Watching the Tractors driving all around and driving in the night through them is one of the best things i've seen in ArmA so far.

If you have any interestes in CTI you shouldd defenitly try this!

Sounds really interesting! Always great to see some new missions of this nature out.

Hello,

yesterday I read about WhineWar and I knew I had to try it.

So I uploaded it on our CTI server and we played a 3vs3.

Here is my feedback:

1. Both thumps up for the idea. I mean *lol*, 'whine experts', 'harvest tractors', etc. made us all laughing plenty. Very well, as most players forget playing is mostly about fun and not easy winning.

2. I like the minimal start equipment. I mean, you got a pistol and thats it. When you want more you have to buy, steal or ask. Cool, because noone respawns and runs kamikazelike straight into the next town. I hate how well equiped fresh respawned players are in most CTIs.

3. Please consider doing this map on Saharani lite as the current one is way too big.

4. I love day-night changes and it is nice to build lamps.

But the night should be shorter.

5. The tructor drivers are dumb. I went bankrupt because none of them were able to return to the shelter. Instead they crashed against trees or buildings and, wtf?, went up into flames (and so does my money).

It is clearly not your fault the AI drives as she does, but you should take that into account. Relying that they are capable to drive trought the gate into a house is expecting too much.

Maybe make a fallback option like beeing able to build player controllable tractors. So the commander can harvest on its own when all AI tractors are burning or stuck.

Except these downsides, i love your mission!

5. The tructor drivers are dumb. I went bankrupt because none of them were able to return to the shelter. Instead they crashed against trees or buildings and, wtf?, went up into flames (and so does my money).

It is clearly not your fault the AI drives as she does, but you should take that into account. Relying that they are capable to drive trought the gate into a house is expecting too much.

Maybe make a fallback option like beeing able to build player controllable tractors. So the commander can harvest on its own when all AI tractors are burning or stuck.

The Tractor Drivers are dumb. No Question.

Its about experience to find out where to put the refinery best to get a good result for returning tractors.

My knowledge about it:

Dont place Refinery ON a road - the Tractors dont stop always when they reach the refinery and drive IN the refinerywall - they burn.

Dont place the Refinery IN a town, NEAR Fences, Near anything which could stop the tractors from begin moving. They spawn around the refinery and wont move away.

Look for Ways to the Fields, you can free some ways with your M113 by driving over trees walls and so on.

You will get a best result if you place the refinery about 150 m away from your first flag on an open field.

The Tractors usually dont drive in the refinery, they drive near it, stop and turn around if all is ok.

When Tractors are stuck they get new waypoints after a certain time, if they cant move any more at all theres only 1 way out: shoot em. (At least new tractors get cheaper).

Btw: its normal that they begin burning with 1 tree contact or something, even if i would like the idea to steal some tractors by shooting the enemy drivers out of their seats wink_o.gif But i guess Tigga is asking for Vehicle and Driver Status for calculating the new price...

Hahaha this sounds awesome. I finally mustered the time to read your post. Ahaha sweet stuff man. I have yet to try your mission. But hehehe, that would be sweeetness.

*I promote all types of RTS* Wether its Wine-Wars, RTS, or CTI. I want to see some more creative shizit going around as I have been over the last few days. With the new version of RTS and all... plus this Wine-Wars stuff. Sweeeet

This has to win an award for originality.

...n.

A group of us played a game of this last night. Was great fun, though most of us were a little lost to begin with.

One suggestion would be to have the drop down box default to your own name, when in the building screen. My name was first in the list and for a lot of the night, players would accidentally buy me gear, because they'd forgotten to select their own name first.

I don't know if it's anything you have control over, but the drop down boxes don't immediately stand out. It took a few minutes to work out that the "Private" in the promotions window was a drop down for example. Even after reading the manual again, while trying to do it.

As per SeppSchrot's request, I'd also request making the night shorter.

Finally, is it true that when you disband a member, that they stay alive? It was only near the end of the game, when we worked that out, but it would mean that it's possible to leave tons of AI all over the map, because you'd just disband them. Is there some upper limit, before they start to die off?

These are just suggestions, we'll be playing it again even if nothing changes. Fantastic mission concept.

Cheers,

Axek.

Time to push this up :]

TiGGa was quite busy in university but released version 1.02 in the Morphicon forums a week ago.

Based on that i was a bit bored with work and made a small coop version of WineWars 1.02.

The racs will build a very small base after the teams set their MCV and start building tanks and infantry squads and attack your base.

The cooperative end trigger is active when anybody destroyed the RACS base near corazol. You can still play on both sides (Opfor and Blufor) and Racs will attack both bases. You can also finish this "Coop" version by destroying the other base, but it will pull the normal trigger of course then. This also results in a loss of the whole game when 1 team is bancrupt.

I balanced the whole thing a little so i could finish the mission with 2 players in ~1hour with 3 times startstock and 4 times harvesting speed (should be ok with 10 players in standard settings).

Changelog 1.02:

-A10 for Harrier

-Transport Vehicles with UH-60 and MH-17

-Several Bugfixes

Changelog Coop Version:

-Added Racsbase

-Racs attacking MCV and Base now

-Added some more Patrols and Defenses outside the Cities

-Adjusted Prices for everything (i.e. Helipad for 75.000 Btls)

-A little more detailed Briefing (Still suggest to read the Manual, but the most important stuff can be found in the Briefing now too)

Download Coop Version here:

Download Down atm, fixing some serious things.

Download 1.02 (without Coop) here:

http://home.arcor.de/empe/wine_wars_1.02.Sara.zip

There is some work left to do with it, and playing it adversial can be much better but i hope you have some fun with this smile_o.gif