Sign in to follow this  
sa8gecko

steerable TOW

Since the TOW missile fired by the humvee doesn't seem to be steerable, I've made a little modification to the actual one:

file

Put the .pbo file in your 'AddOns' directory: the unit can be found in the editor under 'BLUEFOR>Cars>modified HMMWV TOW'. It doesn't substitute the BIS one. Since this is only a try, the script is written in old OFP style (no execVM) and it spits out some globalchats for range and speed. The missile speed infact has been modified to match the true one and range (almost, but anyway better than before). Optics have been zoomed: default is 10x, minimum is 4x and max is 20x. Don't lock to your intended target, just switch to optics, pull the trigger and steer the missile using optic view. The missile should follow the crosshair centre: I was able to kick down a single tree at 1500 meters and a moving T72 at 1000 meters. As I said above, don't complain for globalchats: if you do, just open the pbo and remove them from the 'fired.sqs' script. Also, the AI probably can't use it properly or anyway will end up using it as the standard tow humvee. Not tried in multiplayer: I cannot because of my connection. Anybody is entitled to modify the script as he wish, if he found it useful. More will follow if interest is high enough.

some data:

max range: about 3700 meters,

flight time: 20 seconds

time to reach 2000 meters: about 8 seconds

max speed: 310 m/s in 1.5 seconds after launch

speed at max range: about 110 m/s

Credits: BIS

Awesome! Very nice work. Was able to shoot down a Mi17 too biggrin_o.gif

Cheers \o/

(may take a minute or too to be approved.)

That's exactly what i expected, thank you sa8gecko notworthy.gif .

According to me, Tows and at-5 are a big issue in arma, especially when crosshair is disabled because you are not able to know whether the target is locked :/, that's just odd.

Bis could simply resolve it in two way:

-the realistic one as your mod did.

-or the casual (gamer) way: as vanilla tows act (just adds tows hud even when crosshair is disabled).

By the way, can we expect your mod be extend to stryker tow and bmp-2 at-5?

and it spits out some globalchats for range and speed

crazy_o.gif

Isn't that a giveaway for PvP?

Omigod, just saw the video, alot of messages.

Any way to disable it?

Very nice addon though, this is usefull for mobile AT (and AA tounge2.gif),

wex

crazy_o.gif

Any way to disable it?

wex

icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]As I said above, don't complain for globalchats: if you do, just open the pbo and remove them from the 'fired.sqs' script.

Excellent addon, sa8  thumbs-up.gif  Huge improvement over the BIS TOW.

Yeb:

Quote[/b] ]can we expect your mod be extend to stryker tow and bmp-2 at-5?

If you're asking if it's possible to modify those vehicles in the same way of the humvee, the answer is yes. If instead you're meaning of the possibility for me to modify those vehicles, I can't answer yes at the moment.

The point is this: I believe sooner or later BIS will make the TOW like it is supposed to be. Mine is just a stop-gap for now, waiting for next Arma patch. Anyway if a few people find it useful, I can make it a little better (and removing the globalchats, wex-q wink_o.gif ). The goal should be to implement the real launch sequence: pull the trigger, the gyroscope is initialized and after about a second the missile exits the tube; and to lessen somehow the smoke, which at the moment gets too much in the way (real TOWs have two side nozzles). Since it has already been done for OFP, I can't see why this shouldn't be possible in Arma.

too bad bis cant do it right.. in config "manualcontrol, irlock, airlock".. its just the same thing.. ;/

Good work, but too bad its needed.

too bad bis cant do it right.. in config "manualcontrol, irlock, airlock".. its just the same thing.. ;/

Just adjust the the config file to lock, hit me up if you need assistance.

Just adjust the the config file to lock, hit me up if you need assistance.

Problem isnt to get it to lock, but to not get it to lock and still be useful and to make so you can lock on only air vehicle with a stinger.

crazy_o.gif

Any way to disable it?

wex

icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]As I said above, don't complain for globalchats: if you do, just open the pbo and remove them from the 'fired.sqs' script.

biggrin_o.gif

Missed that one.

Good addon, wasn't meaning anythign bad tounge2.gif

wex

smile_o.gif

Did BIS implement this or something similar in the patch? Just tried this mod and it works a charm!

One is hoping if BIS don't implement it then it can be modded for all the other Wire Guided Missiles in the game.

Excellent job!

So this makes a steerable TOW via a script or does it change some flag in the config.cpp?

Has anyone considered making the TOW missles track a LaserDesignator target and then have the TOW launcher also have a LD on it? It's not exactly how a real TOW work (the scripted solution is probably the most accurate technically) but it would allow steerable TOWs as well.