Sign in to follow this  
boecko

Enemy at The Gates in "Dawn Of Hope"

At the the end of this mission you're supposed to attack an atelry camp or something like that.

After killing most of them, there comes the next wave with soldiers.

This time WITHOUT any weapons.

Is this Stalingrad in Enemy At The Gates or what?

Embarrassing... banghead.gif

They probable came by boat - disembarked into water and lost all weapons. And AI just continued to next waypoint.

They probable came by boat - disembarked into water and lost all weapons. And AI just continued to next waypoint.

Didn't thought about that. Quite possible, but ... it's a bit wierd.

this is the only topic I could find on "Dawn of Hope"

it should be drawn to BIS' attention that the text in the selection map does not follow up with the preceding cutscene at all.

in this cutscene Marian Quandt finds herself in a dramatically escalating situation. The next thing you get to see is the menu with "oh well things are all improving and positive now". The missions themselves want to give another "unexpected dramatic twist". In sum, it's all too contrived and fails to add up convincingly.

now to Dawn of Hope itself: at one point, you get the message to protect a sector further down the runway. If you drive past some hidden trigger, it makes the helicopter parked near the hangar explode. There's about 4 BRDM's waiting for you to be killed. After having finished off three of them, a cutscene kicked in. It said that all enemy units were fleeing en showed us loading into 2 Strykers. During that cutscene I was of course killed by the remaining BRDM, which is not funny.

Anyone had a similar problem in this mission?

Can you make a video of this ... I would love to see it tounge2.gif

well further down in the mission I witnessed this

dawnofhopeenemycoastallqr1.jpg

9 soldiers were ordered to disembark and run up to the exact same spot

"close formation", anyone?

EDIT: let's also give BIS merit where merit is due: I can now confirm that the units without weapons-bug is no longer present in the 1.05 patch

I think that you guys are talking about the mission that I'm currently stuck in. It starts with the player avatar bitching about the rain as the report comes in that the Rep of No. Sahrani is taking the airfield, right? There's a 5T truck that leaves with a team in it right at the start.

Anyhow, I jump in the RACS 4x4 and head up the road right behind the truck on my way to pick up Alpha Team. Alpha Team boards, then joins my squad. The objective changes to head to the barracks compound to pick up Bravo Team. I jump out near Bravo Team, and the scripted orders get Alpha Team out of the truck and Bravo Team joins my squad.

We're already facing a massive attack across the tarmac of the airfield. There's at least one enemy squad, a BRDM, and a BMP headed toward the open gate facing the runway. There's a small U.S. squad already in place behind the sandbags that are defending.

Here's my problem: I can't seem to get my squad to good cover, nor can I survive the mission. I've run through this mission 6 or 7 times tonight with no success.

My best run was ordering the whole squad to target the BMP, then charging through to the sandbags after we took out the BRDM when it charged on its own. Other than that, I've never even come close to getting to the sandbags with more than one or two members of my squad. Most of the time we never get out of the compound.

Mind you, we have orders to advance across the tarmac to a point on the other side of the airfield in a Stryker. I'm not going to try that until we manage to kill a few more! Or am I just being overly paranoid?

What's the best way to tackle this mission? Take out the BMP, then get everyone aboard the Stryker and charge straight through?

Get to the sandbags and help defend? Did I mention that there's no cover on the two ends of the sandbags so there's a real danger of flankers? confused_o.gif

Stay inside the compound and set up a killing field using crossfire from the two teams?

How did you guys solve this one?

TIA

I think that you guys are talking about the mission that I'm currently stuck in.

How did you guys solve this one?

Here's how I did it. It took several tries, mind. tounge2.gif

On arriving at where team bravo is, I order half the men into a nearby M113, and the other half into a Stryker. Then I order these two vehicles into the "corners" of the fenced-off base so no enemy vehicles can shoot them through the gate, but any infantry that come past the gates get shot. While doing this I grabbed an AT launcher (there's one in a crate near team bravo, I think, or you might be able to gear yourself with one in the briefing).

At this point I saved the game. smile_o.gif

Next, I poked my head around the gate's corners and hit the nearby BRDMs with AT missiles. Once the immediate area is clear, you can creep around the back of the hangars and pick off more SLA vehicles.

Try to avoid the waypoint, because I'm pretty sure once you stand on it the next wave of enemies "spawn" down the far end of the airfield. So, only stand on it after you've loaded all your men into MG trucks, MG jeeps, working BRDMs, etc. and placed them in strategic spots ready to fire. Then stand on the waypoint and watch the carnage. pistols.gif

That should get you to the next part of the mission, and with it reinforcements to your squad and an auto-save. I'm sure there are plenty of other strategies too.

Just don't be tempted to use the helicopter, because as mentioned it spontaneously explodes when "wave 2" is triggered, and you certainly don't want to be flying it at the time... crazy_o.gif