Sign in to follow this  
kutya

Eventhandlers

I used to create units in OFP similar to this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"SoldierWB" createUnit [getpos player, _currGroup, "this addeventhandler [{killed} , {_this exec {GDC_events\GDC_FrInfDied.sqs}}]", 1, "PRIVATE"]

In AA, it reports an error here: "this |#|addeventhandler", saying that string is expected instead of code.

I don't know what to do. Tried many things, but no success. Can someone help?

then try to rewrite it so you have a string instead of code:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"SoldierWB" createUnit [getpos player, _currGroup, "this addeventhandler [""killed"" , {_this exec ""GDC_events\GDC_FrInfDied.sqs""}]", 1, "PRIVATE"]

...but to tell you the truth, i am not sure whether i wrote it right, i am more used to this way:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_g = createGroup "West";

_u = _g CreateUnit ["SoldierWB", _pos, [], 0, "NONE"];

[_u] Join _g;

_eh = _u addEventHandler ["killed", {_this exec "GDC_events\GDC_FrInfDied.sqs"}];

You're calling the script with a string instead of unit/code (_this --> this), so remove  _  infront of this.

Okay, thanks guys.

IFAIK you can't use nested "-s because the parser doesn't know if you're finishing the previous string or trying to make a nested one. I think that's the reason for BIS to implement { and }.

Again, thanks! I'll try out your suggestions.

In AA, it reports an error here: "this |#|addeventhandler", saying that string is expected instead of code.

I think the problem is related to the quotes you are using.

Quotes are used for strings, but you need brackets here as you are using code.

So try {this .... } instead of "this ...",

Okay, I'll try this. Thanks.

BTW (_this --> this) didn't work.

Currently I'm using the solution to split the command into multiple lines as 5133p39 described.

BTW (_this --> this) didn't work.

Well, as I see the problem it should work. Look where lies the problem:

"this addeventhandler [""killed"" , {_this exec ""GDC_events\GDC_FrInfDied.sqs""}]"

thou I doubt this is the real/only reason for the eventhandler not to work, I think it's more because of those quotations you're over and not correctly using.

Put this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this addEventhandler ["killed" , "this exec {GDC_events\GDC_FrInfDied.sqs}"]

and I'm sure it will work.

Okay, will try. When I get home.

That won't work if you're trying to pass the eventhandler-_this, not the unit-this. _this is a private array in the eventhandler's scope and has the info about that single particular event.