Sign in to follow this  
neswrossi

Suggestion: Linear AI

I've been building a few missions. In order to create some atmosphere I wanted cars moving around the town I was about to assault.

The trouble is, the AI gets too confused and they end up getting their paths mixed up and generally acting like idiots.

What I would like to see is an option in the waypoint screen for 'linear' actions. ie, tell the AI to not bother figuring out paths just follow the way point path exactly as it is on the map with no deviation.

This would make it easier for things like AI aircraft taxiing and AI vehicles where you want to know exactly how they are going to behave and move.

try different behavier settings, everyone will have actural effect on AI path finding(like if set safe the route would be more linear, AI wont go too away from their set path etc, but i might be wrong) whistle.gif

More of an editing related topic. moving.

Hmm i dont know if this will work properly but you can also try UPS script to create random patrols. I never used it on civis before so i am not sure how will they react but might be worth a try.

I support neswrossi's suggestion,

there is occasions where you want units to go straight to

a destination and not lay on the ground forever because there is an enemy tank 500 m away posing a threat.

It's all about the "COVER" state that the units are in.

I have with limited success written AI override scripts for choppers and tanks using setvelocity to just make 'em move where i want them to, but setvelocity doesn't work on infantry.

@andersson

"Careless" behaviour makes infantry shoulder their weapons and move very slowly which is out of the question for combat missions.

For years i wish BIS would come up with a command like that, especially for choppers to make them advance slowly and not fly straight into their demise when they are facing AA or for rapel missions.

MAYBE we don't need an option for that, MAYBE we just need some more info (or a little polishshing) on FSM

I think you guys just need to be more creative in your missions. I can honestly say I never have problems with AI that I can't solve in the editor alone. For example, getting AI units to run/walk in straight paths is as simple as using playmove several times with a walking/running anim. The game already has the ability to do most of what you want, you just have to know how to do it.