Sign in to follow this  
EricM

MI24 HIND : is it worth starting one ?

I'm fairly new to Arma Addons but I'm a good modeler.

I wanted to make a hind, since there isn't any in the game, but I was wondering if that would be plain useless since probably 50 people or more already have one ready to fire (like RKSL Merlin or Afrographix Chinook), without mentioning the guys porting OFP:Elite stuff in Cold War Rearmed...

On a side note, if someone has a Good blueprint of the hind, that would be welcome (All I found so far are crappy gifs)

Thanks

Edit : I found some decent blueprints

Edit 2 : I'll have a look at the kamov

We try to port the RHS oen over but it caused some headaches so far but feel free to do your own version.

However if you wanna do something cool and usefull id say try make a Ka-27, always wanted to see that bird in ArmA.

Wikipedia link

or a Ka-60 Kasatka

Wikipedia link

I think noone of these are being made atm, some Ka-60s were in the making but it seems all got trashed.

mi26 would be able to airtransport a btr80..so i say that wink_o.gif

Actually, mi24 is my fav chopper, cant be too many of them =)

A Ka-60 would definatley rock, it looks quite cool.

Blueprints

Just find the Mi-24, shouldn't be hard.

Yep at the moment everyone seems to be making west side air power even stronger by modding Apaches etc.

For the sake of balance please make some working combat choppers for the east too. Which under AI guidance can sometimes open fire at something crazy_o.gif

I'll probably give it a go, be it only for learning purpose and practice my low-poly modeling skills.

If a better Hind comes first, I'll convert mine in a static rusty wreck to place in the editor...

wink_o.gif

IMHO for learning etc on low poly i'd go for the KA60, its got less sticky ou bits and is well more flush sided etc than the hind.

Just a suggestion. Regards HH smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]IMHO for learning etc on low poly i'd go for the KA60, its got less sticky ou bits and is well more flush sided etc than the hind.

But then where is the challenge ?

With good references, I'm pretty confident I can model a fairly accurate hind, my preocupation is to achieve it within a given polygon budget.

I'm not used to model for real-time engine. For pre-rendered pictures, it's not so much of a problem usually...

Guest RKSL-Rock
I wanted to make a hind, since there isn't any in the game...

Ok for those wanting Hind reference materials and schematics:

Mi-24 Hind Reference materials @ RKSL Studios 157mb

Now to those that keep emailing me now please stop bugging me and go make your own   nener.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Too bad you're a man, else I would propose...

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quote[/b] ]

Too bad you're a man, else I would propose...

Well, today i am thankful for something tounge2.gif

You're welcome.

Guest RKSL-Rock
ahh nice move.

Well i was getting a bit sick of please make a:

Hind A/B

Hind 24D

Hind 24V

Hind 24P

Hind 24RKR

Mi-35

SuperHind MkIII

I am going to finish the Mi24A and Super Hind V at some point just not anytime soon so releasing the plans seemed like a good compromise

whistle.gif

I did start modeling a Hind eventually, thanks to the wonderful references provided in this very thread.

About 8-10 hours worth of work over a week. I already blocked out the main shape and I am adding details/refining little by little, while trying to stay in my polygon budget.

So far, I'd say the exterior geometry is 80% done with around 7000 triangles. I need to detail the canopy and model the interior. I think I can finish the main resolution LOD while staying under 9000 polygons.

If I understood how oxygen works, then I will then go on modeling the cockpit and cargo LOD views with a bit more details.

Then UVMapping (it's dead boring but it's a crucial step), texturing (Color, specular, normal), and export and config to Arma (so far no idea how to do that without proper tools, but some people already did it, so I'll ask in due time).

So you see, still quite some time to wait, but it's in progress.

... i should continue working on my uh-1y , but low-poly modelling is so frustrating at my current skill-level ...

keep it on buddy , would really like to see a hind that isnt converted from ofp

LODSs and modeling I can understands,but how do you implement all functionality/flying characteristics, weapons, crew positions etc.?

Perhaps the makers of BTR80 or Apache could help.

Don't know much about that yet, but from what I gathered :

- Animations and crew position : in Oxygen, through selections and proxies

- Flying characteristics : In config file of the model.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Guest RKSL-Rock
- Flying characteristics : In config file of the model.

Alot of how the planes and helos fly is in the Geo LoD. Mass distribution is key.  The config is really just fine tuning.

Can't wait to get the Hinds airborne for SLA.

like that one?

smile_o.gif

Thank you to granQ and the others..