Sign in to follow this  
Gunseraph

Area boundaries ?

I'm a newbie at editing and sadly, i couldn't find anything on this topic : how do i set area boundaries for a (multiplayer)mission ? Something that will prevent players from wandering too far in a deathmatch map for example. Thanks in advance smile_o.gif

First off you need limit the gaming area with square triggers that put a frame around your desired game region.

Adjust the size aspects of the triggers accordingly and choose "rectangle" from trigger setup.

Following options in the trigger setup screen have to be selected:

Activation: Anybody

Repeatedly

Present

In OnActivation field of the trigger use the following code:

"_x SetDammage 1" foreach thislist

This will kill anyone who steps into the trigger zone.

Make sure you set up some warning signs in the map or use markers that cover the deathzone on the map as people are not very happy to be killed without being warned.

Killing player without warning is rude. Why not give them a minor hit at certain time intervals + a warning saying that he should turn back? Sounds exactly like BF2, but it works.

Placing an inner trigger ring smaller than the killring with a hint or message displayed to the player in question or public is no big deal at.

Still, I guess Gunseraph will benefit from actually trying that himself. You don´t learn much if you got every bit prechewed.

Instead of killing the player, why not move him someplace when he crosses the line, for example on top of a building? It may add some new levels to your deathmatch as the border can be used to your advantage in some situations. However, warning someone isn't necessary when you have warning signs or road cones marking the area.

Why don't you just setup mine fields around the outer perimeter and use natural out of bounds areas such as cliffs or the ocean?

Whilst talking about deathmatch, I'd like to make some to add for our clans coop missions.It's just that I know how to make spawnpoints but one thing puzzles me:

How can I prevent notification of "friendly fire" if I as a US grunt shoot a player using also US character? thumbs-up.gif

Whilst talking about deathmatch, I'd like to make some to add for our clans coop missions.It's just that I know how to make spawnpoints but one thing puzzles me:

How can I prevent notification of "friendly fire" if I as a US grunt shoot a player using also US character? thumbs-up.gif

Put player addrating -1000000 in the script that activates every time a player respawns. That way the units consider each other renegades and legal kills. If you're talking about double kills, there isn't much to be done but the scores are given like they should.

In OnActivation field of the trigger use the following code:

"_x SetDammage 1" foreach thislist

This will kill anyone who steps into the trigger zone.

Hi,

When I tried this I get a "forEach: Type String, expected code" error.

Thanks!

Rick

don't use "...."... ArmA will read it as 'string' because... really... you wrote a string.

Use { } when using _x

I'm not an expert in _x. Read Wiki about _x again.

Oh... and...

Probably, Balschoiw, has a german keyboard... dunno if he really wrote {} but appeared " ".

Hallo B.

Really, give the thanks to all in this post. Remember, Balschoiw gave us the main light. Then we needed only to take the key to open the house. No light... no entering in house lololol

Ah... wow_o.gif ... idea...

Probably... Balschoiw is writting his scripts with a correct {} chars... hum banghead.gif hum banghead.gif but it seems that the ASCII codes for Verdana (the font in this forum-posts, at least, i see Verdana... maybe the 'bug' is in each Internet Explorer/InternetBrowser...settings under different default fonts) is not 100% compatible with the ASCII-font from your script written.

I noticed this change of {...} by "..." more than once in this forums... maybe a 'crossing' international ASCII issue with Verdana font ASCII codes?

pistols.gif

LynxEye @ April 01 2007,18:36)]Really, give the thanks to all in this post. Remember, Balschoiw gave us the main light.

Anybody who uses the Muppet Show's "Mahna Mahna" sequence as their icon gets my eternal thanks!

Rick

Heh, everybody! I was trying to say that Balschoiw has a cool image! smile_o.gif

another way to help a user see or get a sense of the "play area" for the deathmatch type mission use a rectangular MARKER i use the color of black and just make axis a like 5 and axis b as long as you need enough to cover over top of your trigger area that way they can see at the beggining where they can go before they see a perfect vantage point and right before the rock sets a boundry sighn.. as well im personnally interested in finding out how to keep the AI out of the kill zone of the play area couldnt find nothing for that