Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

Server 1.05 Persistent Feature

After I was all enthusiastic about the newly announced persistent feature which was supposed to be available as of patch 1.05 I now wonder: is this working at all?

I do start my dedi server with the -persistent=1 parameter but the behaviour is unchanged - as soon as all players leave the mission closes.

Has anybody gotten this to work? Is it enabled at all?

Victor

After I was all enthusiastic about the newly announced persistent feature which was supposed to be available as of patch 1.05 I now wonder: is this working at all?

I do start my dedi server with the -persistent=1 parameter but the behaviour is unchanged - as soon as all players leave the mission closes.

Has anybody gotten this to work? Is it enabled at all?

Where did you add the persistent = 1 parameter?

I havent looked into it yet much, but I think persistent = 1 is on in our testing server and last time I left and checked with the ArmA Launcher it still showing playing and which mission was on.

Will test proper soon

The server identifies as 1.05, so that's fine. And this is how I call my server currently through a batch file.

ArmA_Server.exe -config=sample.cfg -port=2302 -persistent=1

I also tried to add "persistent = 1;" into the sample config file which doesn't work either. Tried as user and admin, all the same. As soon as the last player leaves, the mission ends.

Quote[/b] ]it still showing playing and which mission was on.

Probably sbd is lying dead on his keyboard with Arma still running and nobody noticed yet tounge2.gif

Victor

Add it to the config like what? This is how my short server config looks like:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

passwordAdmin = "xxx"; // Admin password

password = "xxx";

disableVoN=0;

persistent=1;

class Missions // list of missions that will be played in cyclic order

{

};

Is that what you meant? Does this work for you?

Regards,

Victor

Nope, that doesn't work here. The config is there and correct, but the mission would never continue. I thought it's maybe my mission but some other default ones would behave the same.

When I press ESC and choose to abort the game as a client I receive a warning that I will be bounced back to the lobby. I soon as I do that (being the only client) I can see the server closing the mission. That's somehow not the point.

So I repeat my question: has anybody seen this working? Apart from the theoretical settings that we apparently know about.

Regards,

Victor

I tryed the same procedure as you victor, and i confirm that :

1) we have to do something else more that simple persistent=1 into .cfg to make it working

or

2) it simply doesn't works

Thanks to correct us if we are wrong.

1) we have to do something else more that simple persistent=1 into .cfg to make it working

It works, but only with missions which use respawn instant or base, games with other respawn modes are never persistent.

Thanks Suma, that explains. I have used "instant" and it worked instantly biggrin_o.gif

Too bad though it doesn't really fit the needs for my mission (commando style, infiltration, objectives, extraction); endless respawn is not an option for our team. I thought the server could basically "freeze" the complete setup incl all variables and AI etc. Just as if somebody else would stay logged in.

Regards,

Victor

Too bad though it doesn't really fit the needs for my mission (commando style, infiltration, objectives, extraction); endless respawn is not an option for our team.

Given that we are restricted to respawn instant or base for JIP...

It should still be possible to implement limited respawn on a JIP server (or even no respawn for that matter), through some creative use of the selectPlayer command, combined with a spectator script.

This would achieve what I think you're after, Victor.

That's a good idea MadRussian. Even though you could realize a limited spawn concept by adding a limited number of new team members though time.

Plus, and this is more serious, I noticed that the newly spawned soldiers seem to be unaware of objects around them. After I spawned into a lightly armed soldier I could not pick up any weapon from other dead soldier lying around. Nor could I enter any vehicle. They rather seemed to be physical obstacles without any functionality.

Not nagging around, but I think this feature is not what I want. Maybe I'll just buy a 2nd license for our team and place a civilian in some house just to keep the server alive. That sounds like a much more appealing concept to me.

Regards,

Victor