Sign in to follow this  
LukeyJ

Re Spawning?

Hi Ya Everyone!

I am currently trying to make a mission in the ArmA editor. It so far runs pretty fine and is looking to be quite good. The issue is that no one can respawn when they die. I have set all the required troops as playable. I have also tried when hosting in multiplayer mode to disable AI troops that are set as playable in the mission editor. What ever I have tried so far has not worked, I keep ending up as a seagul.

Does anybody know how to overcome this problem? If so, would you please be able to help? Thanks!

I have had a little bit of a look on BI Wiki pages at scripting, but I'm a bit unsure on what codes to use and where/how to use them (where to put them and how to relate them to specific troops or specific parts of a mission etc!?)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

LukeyJ

Create a file called description.ext if you don't have one. In there, you should put

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">respawn=1

Replace 1 with one of the following:

Quote[/b] ]

RespawnType Description

0 or "NONE" No respawn

1 or "BIRD" Respawn as a seagull

2 or "INSTANT" Respawn just where you died.

3 or "BASE" Respawn in base. Requires a marker named:

respawn_west

respawn_east

respawn_guerrila

respawn_civilian

4 or "GROUP" Respawn in your group (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull).

5 or "SIDE" Respawn on your side (if there's no AI left, you'll become a seagull) - planned, but was never implemented.

Lots of useful information

Thanks for your help so far, but I am still unable to get a respawn to work!

What programe should I use to write these scripts? Are scripts readable by ArmA when written and saved as a notepad file? (I did call the file "description.ext" - will I need to set windows to read ext,If so how do you do this?)

I am also unsure, where exactly I should save the file to, so that ArmA can find it!? banghead.gif

Hi LukeyJ

All scripts in ArmA are in the main like OFP and go in the editor version of your mission folder. When you export them to single or multi-player they get PBOed for general use outside the editor.

The editable version of your missions are in your My Documents/ArmA/missions folder or in your My Documents/ArmA other Profiles/user name/missions folder. Each mission has its own folder which ends with a dot extension denoting the island it is on; so .sara for Sahrani

You can learn how to script by reading the tutorials and references scripts here.

http://www.ofpec.com/

Start with these tutorials for OFP, ArmA has some differences but in the main this is the basics; there is a Respawning Tutorial by Planck half way down this page:

http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/tutes.php

The link in the post above by HulkingUnicorn gives you the official wiki for all the BIS editing. That tells you about any differences between OFP code and ArmA code. Over time a lot of the OFPEC stuff will migrate there.

Scripts can edited in notepad or which ever text editor you prefer. There are lots of other tools about there may even be some nice OFP script editors. Have a look at OFP info and OFPEC

To begin with just find a mission that has a re-spawn in it; DePBO it (You will need a DePBO tool) and copy the required scripts to you mission and then edit them to suit.

I suggest you hunt out the ECL MP scripts by Terox as they are templates designed for mission makers who do not want to get too much into coding. They are well written and include loads of simple examples as well as good solutions to complex problems a beginning mission maker is going to find hard.

Be aware you are entering the world of programming here. Keep it up and you will become a game modder the people who eat h4x0rs for breakfast and talk in pure math.  biggrin_o.gif

I will ask a moddie to move this thread to "ArmA - MISSION EDITING & SCRIPTING" which is where it really should be and is probably the best place for people to answer your questions.

Be nice and loose Mr Angry it puts people off from answering your posts  wink_o.gif

Kind Regards Walker

Thanks a lot, that will be very helpful for me, and others i'm sure.

I shall have a good look at some of these things when I get the chance. I would love to become a modder eventually, as I have lots of ideas to make some realistic improvements and addons, that I have not yet seen in Operation Flashpoint or ArmA.

In the mean time, does anyone know where I can post ideas for good modders to consider working on?

My bad for bringing back a deceased topic but my questions really short.

I'm havihng difficulty with having a vehicle as a respawn point, I though it'd be a simple job of setting the vehicle i want to respawn as BASE in this case but nooooo...

Respawn = "BASE";

RespawnDelay = 25;

thats what i have in the description.ext so yeh any help on making a vehicle (5t truck) a spawn point will be super, i'v looked for an answer but having difficulty locating the appropraite anwser

While we are on this subject, how about setting spawn point that one can choose? Let say we want to have 4 spawn points for each team in MP, and I want the player to choose where to spawn?

BTW, thanks for everyone who helps others with these scripts. I see lots of people working together to help make AA a better game. Cheers to you all.

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Hey, I tried to get a multiplayer respawn to work but so far no-joy sad_o.gif I used notepad to create a file called description and in it I wrote respawn=4, clicked save as, type:all files "description.ext" and put it in my mission folder for that mission under user missions. Made all the units for blufor playable and exported the mission to multiplayer but when we played it, we still became seagulls.

Anything obvious I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the help smile_o.gif

Rick

Notepad has a nasty habit of making files txt. If you can see it says "description.ext" but no other file has an extension and it has the Text document icon... it is still a txt file.

While looking at the file, go to Tools --> Folder options --> View Tab and uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types".

This should clue you in.

Secondly... Why the hell hasn't BIS added the ability to change the default description.ext parameters from within the editor? I mean seriously... respawn, showgps, showmap, etc...it's tedious as hell to set these values everytme we make a new mission.

They can give VBS2 customers the ability to edit from within the engine, but god forbid they give us the ability to set the respawn mode....

Notepad has a nasty habit of making files txt. If you can see it says "description.ext" but no other file has an extension and it has the Text document icon... it is still a txt file.

While looking at the file, go to Tools --> Folder options --> View Tab and uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types".

This should clue you in.

Rgr. So basically, my file is correct, it just may be in the wrong extension? The file is blank except for the respawn command. That's the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks!

Rick

edit: ok, so I checked the file extension and it seems to be ok, but I still go to seagull mode, even with multiple playable positions in my squad. I am putting the file in the used saved folder in the individual folders where the briefings go before I export it to multiplayer. Is this the correct way to do it?

Thanks!

@RickRawlings:

Did you put a semicolon after respawn=4?

Not sure if it matters, but did you put

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">respawnDelay = 5; (the number being your choice)?

@Night Wolf:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[car respawnVehicle [5.0, 3]

<s>respawnVehicle</s>

Oops, didn't read your post well enough Night Wolf... To put the respawn point at the truck, have a script constantly set the marker position at the trucks position.

Once you know how to do it its really simple.. Just take your time in reading tutorials and the BIS wiki and you will soon get the hang of things dead easy.

I have a query about this.. I have implemented respawn=5 (to respawn as one of the AI in my side).

However, the mission I am making has two squads (All BluFor).

I can only seem to respawn as a member of the first squad with this option.. I never respawn in the second squad - the mission ends when the first squad are all dead.

Any ideas? Having problems with end mission cutscenes due to this.

EDIT.. Ok. Ive read that respawn=5 doesnt work..

Anyone know any way - by way of scripting - to determine whether there are any human-controlled units still active?

Cheers smile_o.gif

#C

Ok im doing a mission and i want diffrent spawnloc

for diffrent groups/squads.

I have this Base.HQ INFpatrolsquad. They are supposed to

spawn at one location.

I have couple of Pilots suppused to spawn at a diffrent Loc.

I have Several OPFOR units/squads that i want to spawn

somwere else...

Im gonna try the TUT and Wiki first but ill probly return

here  rofl.gif

Well: First problem...

The units i want to respawn isnt allways playeble.

Some of them are AI. With a bunch of waypoints

and stuff.