Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

1.05 Server Appearing/Dissapearing

Gah :|

Thats really irritating... we've been waiting months for this fix now :| And we aint had much of a response from BIS either.. the bug was aknowledged then assigned to Suma but that was the last heard on the issue...

*sigh*

This is going to seriously damage the pick up of ArmA in the UK.

I am suprised they have been so relaxed about the fix tbh. If people cant play online the life span of a game is cut down by so much.

Look at Prey, they forgot to make a dedicated server for it from the start, now there are no people playing this game online at all. The window was missed, people move on to new things.

ETQW is coming soon, this will kill ArmA stone dead if its not fully up to speed.

I really, really hope they fix this pronto. Alongside the warping AI, this is THE major bug in multiplayer in my eyes. It surely has to be something simple......he says.

Come on BIS....you can do it!

same problem at MIT server....thought i was the only one since i couldnt find anything about it on the net....

Sounds funny perhaps but im pleased that more people have this problem...

hope it will be sorted out...

I know im quite annoyed that it hasnt been fixed yet.. this was brought up after a few days of the 1.05 release and theres been no fix and we're onto 1.07 Beta now.

Not only that but there hasnt been an official response/update about this problem.. last i saw on the bugtracker it was assigned to Suma but since then BIS havent breathed a word to any of us.

Servers aint free. banghead.gif

Agreed Jack,

We have converted two of our Arma customers to other games as they have lost interest since getting this problem.

One customer we had to give them a dedicated server to control their server. TC Admin doesn't work with advanced profiles and they needed a way to control their server.

All in all, it's not a game we will be pushing hard in the future due to the hassle it has caused us.

Yeah servers are not free and if we cant even see it in the bloody list whats the point. wink_o.gifmad_o.gif

Not mentioned the fact that i almost accused my host from having shitty servers and shitty service....

I was told by someone that adding the IP address instead of the domain would work. It didn't for us, maybe it will for you guys.

Anyone heard anything else?

I was told by someone that adding the IP address instead of the domain would work. It didn't for us, maybe it will for you guys.

Anyone heard anything else?

How do you do that?

In the server.cfg instead of the "reporting' line?

Weve had the IP in the field for weeks with no luck  sad_o.gif

I think it might be time to terminite our 3 servers  confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

server 1 and 2 have the IP

server 3 has "master.gamespy.com"

Im really disappointed and seriously angry about BIS now. They discovered this bug in September 2006 and werent able to fix it until now. Yes maybe not every server does have this problem but ffs thats not an excuse to give it an low priority. My Squad is playing 99% of the time on other peoples servers now. We are in danger to fall apart not to mention the big money sink this has caused to me.

DAMN IT FIX THAT DAMN BUG NOW OR GO TO HELL !

We spent already significant amount of time on the problem.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult problem to address for many reasons.

We ended up with Gamespy with the following:

Would it be possible to get

an Ethereal/Wireshark packet capture of the servers that are having this problem so we can

debug the network traffic?

If anyone could arrange this from a server suffering with this problem it would possibly help Gamespy and us to address it.

From our internal diagnostics we were able to find out that gamespy keep alive system feels happy while our system already gets to a problem with

Quote[/b] ]

WSAENOTSOCK

Socket operation on nonsocket.

An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. Either the socket handle parameter did not reference a valid socket, or for select, a member of an fd_set was not valid.

and that's when the server stops be listed on gamespy.

We won't, but you go on vacation.

You must understand how hard this is for us he has spent proberly over 2K on these servers which we cant even play on, which is also destroying our clan, we already had two great members leave us.

And if you do such thing he cant send valuble data to BIS and if he goes i go too.

@ MARUK: Nightmare has already posted a ethereal log on the bugtracker months ago...

You must understand how hard this is for us he has spent proberly over 2K on these servers which we cant even play on, which is also destroying our clan, we already had two great members leave us.

And if you do such thing he cant send valuble data to BIS and if he goes i go too.

@ MARUK: Nightmare has already posted a ethereal log on the bugtracker months ago...

Since when is direct-join broken and the handy tools as ArmA Launcher etc?

Don't get me wrong, I understand and agree that it's really shitty that the problem occurs, but your statement that people can't play on the server is imho false smile_o.gif

Since when is direct-join broken and the handy tools as ArmA Launcher etc?

Don't get me wrong, I understand, but your statement that people can't play on the server is imho false smile_o.gif

Do you like to play on empty servers?

When do the majority of people use a ArmA launcher to join a server..

If you have seen our server stats for players the last player that joined was Never.

The only people that join our server are the ones who have the IP and i dont see anytime soo that lots of public players are going to look for our IP to get onto the server that will be empty to start with.

Public - Join Server - Big Games - FUN - New Members to clan..

Without the publics theres nothing. i know there is a lot of servers that dont show on the lists, have you ever joined any of them, im guessing not.

Well, for me a clan server is a server where a clan plays together, a group of players etc. At 6thSense we're used to playing on closed servers, doesn't stop us from playing. But I was wrong and should not assume that the rest of the community works the same.

@Matt Rochelle

Whether or not Nightmare01 reported the bug eons ago, he still must treat others with respect. If you feel that you must leave, then you are under no obligation to remain here - that is your choice.

A demanding attitude is not the best way to get what you want.

Actually .. if I had spent the amount of money on server hardware and software for the sole purpose of playing Armed Assault, like Nightmare has .. I'd be pretty damn ticked off as well. I agree that people should treat each other with respect, but on the other hand I've worked in several support departments, for several well known IT companies, and regarding my experience, a professionally working company can deal with angry customers without kicking them out of the line or denying them access to support interfaces ( like this forum is one, generally spoken )

A server that can not be accessed by public players who are not aware of the IP address is of little to no value. And severely asking to give this bug a higher priority ( after 6 months ) has not so much to do with a demanding attitude, but rather with justified expectation towards a software company who is seeking to improve their product. The fact that we've been asked to submit an Ethereal packet interception log ( which we did ages ago ) makes me wonder if BIS is using a ticket system like Remedy or something at all. Personally I am very disappointed about the current situation as well I have to say.

@ Sickboy: Is there just *anything* useful you have to contribute to solve this issue ? Frankly, it does not really matter what your personal definition of a clan server is.

My two cents.

@ Sickboy: Is there just *anything* useful you have to contribute to solve this issue ? Frankly, it does not really matter what your personal definition of a clan server is.

I thought I did have: "Direct Connect" or use a "Launcher" in the meantime, as for me... not having the server on the list would be no problem whatsoever hence that was my (though stupid) reply.

As for making a wrong assumption in thinking that for any Clan-server this would be sufficient ... A guy can be wrong, can he?

Yeah maybe NM did post aggressively, but to be honest come on, we've been so patient with you guys and got nothing in return apart from an assigned 'message' on the bug tracker.

We've ASKED for a reponse, whether it be a fix or unable to be fixed, and no-one responded. I've even posted in several threads about this issue (ArmA is dissapointing etc) and never got a response.

Being patient and polite wouldnt work, and posting aggressively like that did. Maybe it was a little harsh, but its human nature.. if we were responded to beforehand when we asked then it would have been fine.

Servers cost a LOT of money. And Sickboy, if im honest SWAF has a fairly low member count, 99% of the people in SWAF have been together for many years, and most people dont have the urge to play together, the only time ive played with SWAF is on weekly gatherings. How is it possible to recruit on an invisible server? Though yes, for clan activities it was alright i guess, but with a low member count + an invisible server it was near impossible to grow wink_o.gif

But anyway, THANKYOU for the response! It IS appreciated, but please dont make us shout next time inlove.gif hehe smile_o.gif

As much as I understand his (and many others) anger, the way he expressed himself is simply not acceptable and surely doesn't make anything happen faster.

I doubt BI is sitting around twirling their thumbs, the reply from Maruk should pretty much explain that they're working on a solution.

I've noticed that only some servers do this, and others don't have this problem.

There is obviously something that's making it work or not work. If it was a GameSpy problem then every server would have this problem, right?