Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

1.05 Server Appearing/Dissapearing

also our dedicated server has the same problem... Once it is on the list again.. Or I go by IP on it.. It will become full in 10 minutes... This is really sad...

i knw in the bug tracker Suma is assigned to this but is that any update to why this problem is occurring.

Matt.

We too have this problem with our server. Curiously enough though, when we ran arma_server.exe as a windows service (created by our providers control panel) the server remains in the server list as you would expect. The issue with that is that the service is not stable, for what reason I do not know.

So to try and get around the problem, we created our own windows service to launch arma_server.exe but using this method the although stable, the server seems to disappear from the server list almost as soon as a player connects to it. Ive seen myself join the server, quickly leave after about a minute only to find it no longer shows in the list. We can however connect to it fine using the "remote" option.

As with you guys, this is killing us!

I also have just found this thread after days of investigation.

What I did find was that after trying various servers a Windows XP box does not seem to have this problem. The trouble is most of our servers are Windows 2003.

actually i think this bug is related to GameSpy protocol or master problem ...

which affected also Unreal engine games with GS implemented and so on ...

in some case it was that query port number increased +1 after each map restart and so on ...

andyb28, just for information, our server is also running windows 2003 server.

We had same probs all last week with our server provider and from what i gather it may well be related to windows 2003 as well and thev'e put up test server with Xp and seems to be running fine atm so we are keeping an eye on it for a few days.

Well the issue was aknowledged and has been assigned to Suma.. but since then we've heard no word whether it has been fixed or not sad_o.gif

Jackal.. have you been running patch 1.06? cause i dunno whether it will be fixed in that patch or not... and hopefully in 1.07 too...

But as a temporary work around i will forward your investigation on to Nightmare who hosts the server for us...

Thanks guys, and vote for the issue on the bug tracker if you havent already smile_o.gif

thanks for your replies gentlemen.

Our Host machine runs Windows XP. It doesnt has something to do with the operating system i am sure. You might check if the server stays on the list after a couple hours/days. Sometimes our server pops up randomly on the list but vanishes again shortly after.

Ah sad_o.gif

Well i guess we've gotta hope its gonna be fixed for 1.07.. but it hasnt been announced as fixed on the bug tracker... i just hope they arent keeping up to date with it... to give us a bit of hope :P

Suma.. any news? wink_o.gifinlove.gif

How do you guys run your arma_server.exe? Do you use a windows service to call it, or do you just lauch it manually? Im just curious to see if there is a pattern.

4 days now our XP test server has been running for. People have come and gone during the time its been up. Certainly looks more promising than 2003.

On 2003, we have tried all ways of running an Arma. Desktop shortcut, Armatech launcher, TC Admin, etc. They all had the same problem where they would drop off the master list.

What's interesting is that when they drop off the master list they also stop pinging in HLSW, which makes me think this is to do with the query port, as Arma doesn't seem to use a secondary port for query, it must be something within Arma and not anything to do with Gamespy, which is kinda good as I can imagine that taking even longer to fix.

I have given it a lot of thought and can not think of a single reason this has started happening. I am sure servers weren't doing this last month, although it was all a bit new and perhaps we put it down other reasons. (Have even rolled back some hot fixes) Have not tried removing SP2 for 2003 as thats a bigger job and I don't want to risk it. But it could well be SP2.

Anyone got a 2003 on SP1 still that could confirm this?

Well XP does not fix it for us, ours has always been running on XP and it still dissapears...

Its got to be a gamespy problem as i know Nightmare went into a lot of depth in his investigation and all ports were opened and everything was setup correctly, packets just stopped getting sent and recieved by Gamespy...

I just really hope theres a fix for it in the next patch... Would be good to hear some news lol

Jack, I am pretty sure HLSW doesn't use Gamespy master servers to query them.

I am also able to query an ArmA server via our own control panel that uses Qstat as a back end. In both instances when the "dropping" occurs, the ArmA server appears to be pinged out. This I would say makes it internal to ArmA and not Gamespy.

Anyone who had this issue with 1.05/1.05+ had it fixed in 1.07 we havent tested it yet...

Im doubtful tho as nothing has been released in the changelog...

Andy thats a very good point abuot windows 2003 hotfixes. I was stumped as to why this happened "all of a sudden" when the server had been working fine for so long, as far as gamespy announcements go.

I was racking my brains to think of what I had changed on the server, only from an ArmA point of view and not an OS point of view. It could easily be a hotfix/SP thats causing the problem.

I am going to try removing windows 2003 SP2 from our server and see if that makes any difference. Its the only other thing that has changed on our server.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Removed windows 2003 Server SP2......no difference. Server disappeared within 10 minutes of the 1st player joining.

Damn, thats a real bummer.

Was hoping for better news than that sad_o.gif

I dont think its OS related, its strange, i think Nightmare hasn't been online in the last few days so im not sure if he is aware of the 1.07 beta... and so we aint tested 1.07 beta to see if its working..

Any of you guys able to try it? Or have tried it and got some results? (hoping they're positive!!wink_o.gif

Anything to report NIghtmare?

I have voted on the bug page, took my a while to find how to register.