Sign in to follow this  
GimpyBassturd

Wheres the RTS

I think he means the Command View... confused_o.gif

It's there, bud.

Maybe he means the RTS mod?

It's a comin', don't you worry your nooby little head.

He means RTS type missions. They were't built in, they were modded in.

Alt+F4 takes you to the RTS commander screen.

rofl.gif i wonder if he'll actually do that...

to the original poster press 'del' on your numpad.

a gamer named Karrilion developed OFP missions that were RTS

where each team had a general who would build a base and the teams would fight to destroy each others bases ,, it was the best game ever , it was like command and conquer except first person,..... i heard somewhere that Arma would already have it installed... apparently not hopefuly karrilion is working on it , i noticed he has a server but i dont have his version so i cant ask

a gamer named Karrilion developed OFP missions that were RTS

where each team had a general who would build a base and the teams would fight to destroy each others bases ,, it was the best game ever , it was like command and conquer except first person,..... i heard somewhere that Arma would already have it installed... apparently not hopefuly karrilion is working on it , i noticed he has a server but i dont have his version so i cant ask

I thought that was called Capture the Island.

Where both sides start out with a Ural, and drive somewhere and start building their base?

Then you can train AI troops, make vehicles, etc. and then find the other side and kill them.

Or is that not what CTI was on OFP? Maybe it was something different, but it was fun. Weird, but fun.

I don't recall "capturing" much of the island come to think of it, I just remember killing the other team after looking for their base for a few hours.

The built-in CTI mission is nothing like the OFP mission I'm thinking of..

It was called just plain RTS. Not sure, but I think there was an RTS version before Karilion's RTS.

Then back in the day (before resistance got released), there was a 3 way RTS. CTI came after RTS.

yeah back in the day it was RTS fun shit then later CTI came along still fun shit

Talk to KaRRiLLioN. He makes RTS. Go find him.

He's a buddy of mine.. We've been playin together for over 5 years now on OFP. He says the new patch will bring a bunch of new things to the table and hopes to integrate it into the next generation of RTS. He's already layed the groundwork for his next version of RTS through suggestions from server regulars (myself included) and his own idea of RTS should be like, and since the patch aims to change a bunch of things, he doesn't want to start scripting something he'll have to change later. He's not taking (currently) open, public suggestions since many of them are... whats the word for it? Nah I shouldn't, I shouldn't speak for him. What I can tell you is: It isn't going to be just: Your base, Enemy Base, some towns.. and then wala. It's going to be more intricate and teamplay coordinated. -- However, he said a few weeks ago he wishes to port RTS3 1.52 from OFP over to ArmA to keep the RTS traditionalists happy.

It's coming, but keep your pants on.. Some CTI stuff took over a YEAR to make. KaRRiLLioN pioneered this stuff before any of this "CTI".. He can do it in a month or so (don't take my word on that). But give it time.. If your really that anxious, come to Karr's server and talk to him yourself.

Oh, so there was actually something called RTS? And that was different than CTI?

How confusing.

I wonder if that's what I played or not.

Which was the one with the "mobile HQ" which was a Ural that you weren't supposed to let get destroyed?

RTS and CTI ARE different. In fact, the difference is as such Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. KaRRiLLioN (at least in the past), had somewhat of a grudge against CTI, or whoever created it...apparently they *stole* stuff from his work (As I'm told, I don't ask Karr about his personal debacles) (I never asked why).

Most CTI Versions there is a BMP/Armorisk vehicle + a 5T Truck or troop carrier to carry the players into a town filled with resistance.

RTS: Has a MCU (Mobile Construction Unit) that carries troops and builds the base. Unlike CTI, there is no random enemy forces driving around the map aimlessly patrolling in or out of cities.

All in all, the main feel in difference is: CTI is much slower paced and makes you focus on numerous tasks, an example would be spending time taking towns with huge forces. RTS: Is a faster paced game (still lasting 1-2+ hours depending on play style) and releys not only on controlling towns (mining in later versions) but focuses more heavily on base defense rather than each and every required fortification of each town on the map.

What makes this even more confusing, is that now (in ArmA) we will have to distinguish between:

*BIS's "CTI: Capture the Island" (Let call that XCTI).

*The classic CTI from OFP.

* RTS from Karrillion & OFP.

*The New Strategy Mod's Coming Out.

*Plus, if Karr premotes RTS as CTI did, there will be many alternated versions of CTI and RTS like the previous:

***MFCTI (There's many more but I cannot remember)

***RTS: 3-Way by Mr. Zig and Company.

What used to be a simple feud between RTS and CTI, has not become a feud between A-Z and all in between.

It's a comin', don't you worry your nooby little head.

Hah Vindicated , ty victor,,, noob indeed

Yeah,, the RTS Im familiar with was earlier than CTI infact i wasnt familiar with CTI because i stopped playing OFP way back when it died out from the gamespy servers, i looked but wasnt able to find the servers that have been playing OFP up until about a year ago, and then my disk got a fatal scratch ..

Its such a relief to hear that Karrilion is still making RTS stuff

although im a little concerned about the flight controls (flying was my favorite) i cant seem to hit the broad side of a barn with the new planes....

Yeah I'm working on RTS-4 atm.

BTW, Vic, I never had a grudge against any version of CTI.  It's got its own style of gameplay which differs in some ways from RTS.  The more mods, the merrier, IMHO.

I made the original RTS sometime after the U.S. release of OFP, then followed it up right after that with RTS-2.  RTS-3 came out shortly after the first CTI and I stopped improving RTS-3 just a little before ArmA came out, leaving it at version 1.52.

RTS-4 will rely a lot more on strategy and choosing which territories you cap carefully, because of certain advantages you'll gain.  Destroying the base will still be possible, but it won't be the focus because if you don't concentrate on territories, you won't have anything to attack it with.

The goals will revolve around cutting off the enemy resources and then destroying their base.

I hit a couple of issues with bugs in some scripting commands.  I sent the info to Suma and hopefully they'll be fixed for the 1.05 release.  Otherwise, I'll have to script around the problems.  The most annoying part was that these issues only show up on a dedicated server so I didn't catch them until I started testing that.  Ugh.

In the meantime, I also have RWS Beta 9e (Real War Simulator) in working condition.  We don't play it much because it requires a LOT of teamwork, and most people don't have the patience for it.  It's similar to RTS except the bases are fixed and it doesn't matter if you destroy them.  The entire conflict is based on inventory management and territories, and the commander can assign squad leaders dedicated roles like pilot, tanker, infantry, etc.  You only have a limited inventory of vehicles and once you use that up--you're screwed.

Anyway, don't worry.  RTS-4 is about 90% to Beta 1 unless the new patch screws up something else.

biggrin_o.gif