Sign in to follow this  
txalin

BF2 - Realitymod v 0.5

PR is truely amazing I was playing earlier and its absolutely fantastically better then BF2, afew things I disagree on. Slightly more lag and start-up time then the retail version but hell its worth it thumbs-up.gif

Having never played BF2, I am curious

What is the approx scale of the BF2 playing area? (largest example would be nice)

smile_o.gif

mmm.... Imaging one of the cities in the north of the south part of Sarahani, more or less that's the default size of the city maps, good for urban infantry combats with one tank and one apc.

Regarding maps in open areas i can't tell you, but you can play with two choppers, one plane, one tank, one apc and several jeeps/trucks per side without problems.

Anyway the PR maps are biggers, you can play with 60 people and you are not going to be shooting like hell (or cs) everytime smile_o.gif

It's something between bf1942 and OFP regarding size maps.

Here you have one vid showing one urban map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pojpCOmdDLg

And here it is another one showing open map:

Actually BF2 maps can be made to be 8 by 8 km big with a little tweaking in the editor, PR is planing to make some maps that are that big.

Here you have one vid showing one urban map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pojpCOmdDLg

Still looks arcade to me confused_o.gif .

Check this one out, its a very realistic movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwaMHJzruDU

Well...it is rofl.gif .

PR doesnt seem enough to convince me about giving money to EA.

The vids was from bf2 original gameplay, proyect reality is totally different, bigger maps and realistic gameplay.

Btw, the spec ops is.... rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

I've been playing OFP for over 5 years and have hated most FPS games. However, after buying BF2, I was convinced after I played it that I would never play it again. A friend of mine recommended I play this mod. After 1-2 hours of getting used to the changes (and getting a dozen teamkills), I can honestly say it's very good. It'll definately tie me over from playing ArmA (until the patch comes out that is.)

OFP/ArmA players, yall should add me to your xfire, we can play smile_o.gif PM Me if interested. We can call ourselves the [OFP] Clan lmao.

Bah I downloaded the previous Reality Mod version, in all its 1gb glory, only to find that it was only for MP sad_o.gif

Looks really impressive and I'm jealous now sad_o.gif

Not entirely true... http://realitymod.com/forum/f101-single-player-topics.html

I am a realitymod.com moderator btw. :P har har. Hope you all find our mod up to your standards.

Oh great, cheers for that thumbs-up.gif

When I downloaded it, it wasn't SP or coop compatible

Hey Gents,

This is eggman from the Project Reality dev team. THANKS for taking the time to check out the mod smile_o.gif

I concur that the thing that makes a game / mod is the player base. With v0.5 PR gained a lot of popularity and along with that a lot of new players.

In prior releases what would typically happen is that the new players would dislike the mod because they would spend so much time in the respawn state. Some players would adapt and overcome .. others would fond the mod not to their liking.

What we saw happen with v0.5 was that a lot of servers starting running with short spawn timers and in some cases heavily modded versions of the mod were being run by admins.

We feel this really damaged how we have typically grown our player community. We absolutely do NOT want PR to be a mainstream mod. It's an acquired taste and has a significant learning curve. It's also got a frustration factor that is equal to the enjoyment factor... the game is quite exhilarating to play with a good squad and a high level of teamwork .. but it can be heinous to play without that.

So when you have the MOD adapting to players .. as opposed to the players either quitting the mod OR adapting to how it needs to be played .. what you end up with is a very BF2 style player base clashing with a more OFP style player base. I don't see the two as being compatible. The latter is the kind of player we want to appeal to.

We're going to continue to mitigate the gheymeyness out of BF2 and PR and continue to add in realism and teamwork elements but still keep it fun to play. Our v0.6 release will hopefully hit open beta in April.

Thanks again for discussing the mod in a constructive way smile_o.gif

eggman