Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Mr Murray's editing guide in english ?

I discovered that Morphicon realeased Mr Murray's editing guide... in German. And so far it seems the only complete and structured ArmA guide on the market.

Though I can understand some German from what I learned years ago in school, I don't know if I'm ready to read hundreds of pages of it just for fun.

Does Morphicon has exclusive rights over this guide ? have there been any move of 505 Games to make an english (or french or even spanish) translation of it ?

If not, are there any plans to translate it ? Maybe a collaborative effort would do the trick. I know I'd be willing to pay a fair amount of money to get a comprehensive an clear guide to scripting/addon/mission editing in a language I master more proficiently.

Thanks

Eric

The very fact you have found these forums ,means you dont need a guide smile_o.gif.

all the info you will ever need is sourced at some point from this site or a site linked to it.

and the beauty of it is here you can simply search the subject matter.Unfortuneaely ofpec is down now and it would seem the wiki is becoming more efficient (maybe linked who knows).

but the fact is you shouldnt need a guide if you know this forum adress wink_o.gif.

To get your question definately answered, you shoul ask Mr-Murray himself,if he doesn´t reply here, you can reach him by his mapfact email @ www.mapfact.net

wink_o.gif

Deanosbeano is right in what he is saying but i can understand that you want to ve a kind of bible to get certain easy things quickly readable u don´t have on the screen atm.

Hi all

Currently I´m not really sure if it comes in english. But I work on it! I think it would be a good way if it´s available in english and german. Please gimme one or two weeks and I got some more informations about it wink_o.gif

@deanosbeano

Of course there are all or some informations in the forums and wiki. Thats real. But often noobs have a lot of problems with the realization of some things. Additional to that u have it in paper and it lies beside your desktop. I think it´s sometimes a better way to work. There are a lot of solutions and tips for a lot of problems included. I´m sure it´s not only for noobs. It´s good for every editing-dude. Sometimes myself have to take a look into it but i forget something...

Regards,

Mr-Murray

A long time ago i asked Daddl to help me getting into the "Scripting thing", as i called it back then. Because of my request (and others) he wrote a guide that help me in the early days.

That guide still exists in PDF format, and its content its still valid for ARMA, althought it was written for Operation Flashpoint.

Keep in mind the guide its only intended for beginners and for those who want to understand what the heck is this "scripting" thing. It might be usefull for others as it was for me.

Finally keep in mind also the guide was made with the SQS scripting synthax in mind, althought there is some hints valid for functions, that use the SQF synthax.

All credits go for Daddl, aka as Joltan.

His main site is still up and i suspect it will have more good things for ARMA in the future, the link is http://daddl.net/

@deanosbeano

Of course there are all or some informations in the forums and wiki. Thats real. But often noobs have a lot of problems with the realization of some things. Additional to that u have it in paper and it lies beside your desktop. I think it´s sometimes a better way to work. There are a lot of solutions and tips for a lot of problems included. I´m sure it´s not only for noobs. It´s good for every editing-dude. Sometimes myself have to take a look into it but i forget something...

hey wasnt knocking ya book m8.

just that i guess the thing about getting info from here or wiki or related sites is, when somebody wants help , they can link us to the page they got original refference or copy paste smile_o.gif.

problem is with learning from a book ( not a big prob) you would have to scan the page in order to remove any doubt the questioner has indeed typed ,exactly what the book says smile_o.gif.

good book and even more kudos you did it outside of english ,albeit your native language ,my guess is you had to translate from english to german the code you refferenced ,so big job .

Quote[/b] ]That guide still exists in PDF format, and its content its still valid for ARMA, althought it was written for Operation Flashpoint.

Thanks a lot mate, will look into it.

Quote[/b] ]Hi all Currently I´m not really sure if it comes in english. But I work on it! I think it would be a good way if it´s available in english and german. Please gimme one or two weeks and I got some more informations about it.

You rock, man.

Quote[/b] ]

The very fact you have found these forums ,means you dont need a guide .

This forums are good for a specific question. But I still think a guide like Daddl's or Mister Murray's are must have's to know where to start and understand 80% of the basic stuff for 80% of the people.

I don't want to bother you or everybody for any basic doubt I have. When it gets too specific or technical to be included in a general guide, then the forum is the way to go, I agree.

(Actually something like that should be in the download section of Armedassault.com or in the Wiki)

You can learn fast with a good teacher or spend a lot of time self-teaching you. I prefer the first way if it's affordable.

One of the biggest issues of the community in the past was if the guide could be released as a printed and hardcovered version and not only digital.

The problem was that the old tutorial was very big and now the new one, too. A lot of people printed it with their home printer and it wasn´t really good.

If you want to print nearly 250 pages your printer will going crazy and needs holiday, maybe wink_o.gif

It think it´s an individual thing. One works better with a book and the other one works better with forums or the Wiki.

As well you have the guide the Wiki and the forums are an important complement for it. There will be no outstanding question in future wink_o.gif

The Wiki is very great improvement of BIS! ArmA is so big and got so much possibilities that the community needs sth. like this.

My concern is to support people with solutions and to help them with their problems about ArmA. I want to show new ways and give them new ideas for their missions.

ArmA is not a game. ArmA is love just like OFP  wink_o.gif

Regards,

Mr-Murray

I liked the editing center where there were lots of example scripts on how to do many things. If I had a problem that I wasn't sure how to script I would check there first. The other scripts there gave me new ideas that I sometimes added to my mission.

I wish we had a forum section just for scripts. Not to ask questions but just script after script. One script might be named unit patrols and another mission timer ect ect...

A Dream

P.S. I'm not going to ask every question I have about scripting on this forum. I would clog the forum. But this is a great place to search for answers and ask for help on some problems.

I am new to scripting and mission making but recently I was trying hard to learn it. I am trying to create a script which will enable pilot1 to enter plane2, a jet as the pilot. now I know the command, it's something like this

pilot1 action ["GetInDriver",plane2] .my question is, how can I put this in the form of a  script. I can do it internaly without the the script by using the Activation thing but I want get alittle more into scripting so can anyone help putting this in the form of a script and explain it? it will help big time. Thanks

Quote[/b] ]I don't want to bother you or everybody for any basic doubt I have. When it gets too specific or technical to be included in a general guide, then the forum is the way to go, I agree.

Thats how i feel. Am new to these forums and just started out making mission,etc. A guide in english for the noobs (like me) would be great!

- IC3FIRE

Quote[/b] ]pilot1 action ["GetInDriver",plane2]

my question is, how can I put this in the form of a script. I can do it internaly without the the script by using the Activation thing but I want get alittle more into scripting so can anyone help putting this in the form of a script and explain it? it will help big time. Thanks

Any help?

It´s finalized wink_o.gif

@killerwhale

Did you get my message?

Regards,

Mr-Murray

Quote[/b] ]It´s finalized

First of all : notworthy.gif

Then : Where/when can we get a copy, please?

Thanks a lot

Eric

I'd pay 20 dollars if it were in English. Make it $30.00. If its good, maybe even $40.00. I'm lost without a properly, neatly version of a mission editors guide. I've read so many... and when I hit page 75, they started talking in Arabic or something that was almost impossible to understand due to poor translation. And now I'm more confused than when I started... I'd ask on the forums but talk about a large database thats completely unorganized.

The beauty of having the book is having the ability to just look @ the contents.. and that alone will give you ideas for a mission. A forum filled with different scripts (which may be called "Tomayto" and you search "ToMoto"..You wont find anything..