Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

hand signals?

For those who don't know/remember that great addon, here's the oryginal topic .

"...The HS system eliminates OFP's default squad control system and replaces it with a more realistic system, based on my training as a US Marine. It is suited for commanding infantry groups ranging from 4-man fireteams to 38-man platoons, and for conflicts ranging from the early 20th century to the present day(...)"

me: Are you planning to work on the handsignals for AmA?

GB: I have discontinued OFP/ArmA editing. So no, unfortunately I will *not* be working on HS for ArmA. I would very much like to see somebody take the mod, and recreate/improve it using all the great new scripting possibilities in ArmA. I would definately be willing to give some help to someone in that task.

Despite the fact that there aren't any tools yet, is there someone who plans to convert that baby?

I had been in contact with General Barron about a "light version" of his addon for Ofp which was to contain the radio scripts where you had to come close to the rto to use the squad radio and call support. Unfortunately I have never had the time to finish it completely (although I have a functional version on my hd...).

I try to port this stuff to ArmA but I really have to look in the differences between Ofp and ArmA for calling functions and scripts which is the main problem at the moment. Otherwise it sould not be a big deal - I am talking about the "light version" here. Don't know what is the story with those animations and so on in the HS core addon.

Reopening as funnyguy1 himself is working on this mod... smile_o.gif

Yeah, I try as much as I can to understand what should be done to convert it, but I really need help! Anyone interested in the project pm me, cause it'll take a long time before I figure it out by myself.

As soon as you'll know something about it, post it here! I don't want any credits, just this great mod to be converted, so the more people work on it, the faster It'll be in arma.

For I'm too busy recently I can only wish you good luck. But when I'll have some more spare time I'll try to help you as much as I can. ArmA's commanding system can't compete with GB's Hand Signals. Especially when it comes to mods which are not set in modern times but in times when squad leaders and soldiers didn't have personal radios and commands were issued by shouting.

In my opinion the main part of the converison would be about adjusting the way scripts and functions are called in ArmA compared to Ofp. Another big point are the animations, I don't know much about it so...

A radical approach would be to rebuild the HS from scratch but that would be banghead.gif

I think a simple conversion would be relatively... simple (though maybe time-consuming) for someone who understands the differences between ArmA and OFP scripting.

The dialogs would likely have to be reworked a little as well, due to differences between ArmA/OFP dialogs.

Radio model/configs would have to be removed or updated.

And last, the anims would need to be changed, which is something I know nothing about.

One thing I am worried about is the new FSMs, which I have heard can cause havoc with the 'domove' command. If that command doesn't work properly, then the whole system won't work at all. Aside from that, the only major issue is the anims, which can be left out temporarily, or placeholder BIS anims used, anyway.

-----

Quote[/b] ]A radical approach would be to rebuild the HS from scratch but that would be banghead.gif

This would take a ton of effort, but it really would be the best way to go. It would be the best way to fix the current bugs (such as buggy vehicle interaction, rally command, slow formations), and it would make it so much easier to add further improvements.

However, I wouldn't expect anyone to do that, especially anytime soon.

-----

I will give guidance to anyone who wants to seriously take on either of these tasks. whistle.gif