Sign in to follow this  
Easy_tiger

The Demo Co-Op Whats your casualty rate?

Hi All,

As i suffer from a rubbish ADSL line and dont have a PC powerful enough to produce the FPS needed for online play i decided to have a bash at the co-op using only AI.

at the moment I can finish it but only end up with 2 of my AI team left crazy_o.gif lol

If you havent tried this yet, give it a go its a geat way test the AI (which is waaaay better than OFP AI biggrin_o.gif ) and your ability to command wink_o.gif

Hi

At start I lost all my squad most of the time when trying to approach the city or enter it.

Then I started to look for tactics which enabled my team to do a better job. I started making attacks from certain good spots in the terrain, even something like 300-400 meters away from the enemy, whole team in prone position in line formation. To my surprise the AI team members could take down enemies from that distance relatively easily. After doing a hit with this tactic, I "evacuated" the whole team into a safer spot to avoid too many casualties when the enemy comes after us. Then another similar strike from some other spot. That way you can avoid casualties and take most of the enemies out. When you go into the city then it gets harder to keep the AI's alive. One tactic inside the city is to use a hummer. Put an AI into gunner position and drive the vehicle through the city in a rapid pace, you can get good results doing that (if not hit by the BRDM or rockets) because the AI gunner is quite good in spotting targets. Maybe not what you would do in a real battle but it works in OFP/ArmA so why not. The BRDM's give up quite easily if you get your machine gunners fire at it together. Heavy machine guns are what I give my team, they are much better than the M4's in this mission I think.

When inside the city I found the pistol to be a quite effective weapon, I think it's more usable than in OFP.

If you want to adjust the difficulty level you can open up your ArmA profile file in Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\ArmADemo\armausername.ArmAProfile and find the difficulty values

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Difficulties

class regular/veteran

skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.850000;

precisionFriendly=0.850000;

precisionEnemy=0.850000;

Adjust skillEnemy and precisionEnemy to a lower value to make the enemy not as tough opponent. Of course you can also raise skillFriendly and precisionFriendly to make your team mates better.

Cheers,

Baddo.

Realisticly speaking, 40 odd infatry and 2/3 brdm's against your 8 men with hummers.. you shouldn't come out alive at all smile_o.gif

Its interesting that the ai can now engage from further distances, i'll have to try that out.

At the moment i toying with the tactic of leaving 5 guys (4x SAW 1x AT) on the hill South of the town to cover it from west to east (to avoid flanking). These guys then sit there and engage all targets.

once they have opened up and drawn the ai after them i then assault the town from the east with 2 other AI (with silenced M4's)

It all goes swimmingly until i get into the town or the 3rd bdrm gets started up (at the moment im only able to hit 2 of the 3 bdrms)

Anyways anyone managed to get their team home without the use of bodybags? :P

Yes I completed the mission once without any casualties but that took quite many attempts and plenty of time to move carefully enough in the city. Several members of my team got injuries during that attempt, a medic tent in the city helped tremendeously (you noticed that didn't you?). But everyone was alive when the mission ended. It takes a lot of time and patience to go through it like that.

Baddo

Meh if i send AI in with me in formation, or order them to move by themselves they die in 1 minute as they run into the open main road... :P

I leave them all halted on the hill where those 4 OPFOR move to at the beginning.

I just use them to respawn into and i do it myself.

Thats all theyre good for wink_o.gif sometimes i bring one along with me as a meatshield or something like that. :P

Jack-UK I have to disagree with you, AI soldiers are very capable of turning a battle into your favour. It just takes a bit more time and patience to give them the necessary orders. You can't see much compared to what the whole team sees when you move in formation. Maybe even give some team members specific directions to watch. Talking about firepower. How are you going to take for example a BRDM out if you don't have an AT weapon and you are on your own? With an AI team you can achieve it relatively easily, just order machine gun fire against the BRDM and that's it. Works well in the demo coop mission. I'm not going to attack the city without my faithful AI team members giving support.

AI soldiers are very effective killing machines when you use them right. I have always, since the first multiplayer sessions I played in OFP, wondered why people are so eager to get rid of AI team members.

my best so far is just me, taking down around 27 guys. no bdrm's. Seems like eventually some lone badguy finds me:(

BTW, when editing the setting values, does a higher number denote higher capability?

BTW, when editing the setting values, does a higher number denote higher capability?

Yes.

@Baddo

Thanks for the precision values! By lowering the enemy's skills, this game is much more enjoyable and I've actually suceeded in entering the town -haven't beaten yet, but I only tried like 3 times before because it's no fun playing against 'aimbots'. Also didn't realize you could gear your guys up before the mission icon_rolleyes.gif  thats made the demo a whole lot more enjoyable.

@ Baddo

lol yes i have seen the med tents, they've saved my skin on a few attempts at the mission biggrin_o.gif

What ive found hardest about the mission is mopping up the last 2/3 soldiers in the town , however i have found a cheeky little workaround. As all the enemy soldiers carry RGO frag nades i just pillage them from all the corpses and use them to clear an area i am investigating prior to moving in. As there are soooo many nades lying about it makes clearing the last remaining ai alot easier.

Unfortunately i can no longer play the demo because in a desparate attempt to up the performance of Arma i overlocked my Radeon 9800 a little to much and now its buggered (Artifact central!wink_o.gif lololol

Woo Hoo,

looks like me gfx card wasnt buggered! (tho for some strange reason i have to have anti aliasing turned on and the screen res set to 1024x768) to be able to play the game now! lol

Anyways Ive had a few more bashes at the co-op using only AI and have managed to complete the mission losing only 3 peeps.

On a previous attempt i managed to almost complete it only losing one but as soon as i got into the town my AI all got shot up. (that really pissed me off as they all died walking round the same corner one-by-one into live fire, so much for improved ai....)

anyways next time i'll leave all my ai out of the village and go in alone to finish the job meself!