Sign in to follow this  
Scrub

LCAC team

Hi all, (I've held off as long as I can)

About a year and a half ago, I started an LCAC model for OFP.  With the help of others for scripting and texturing, it almost took off.  However there were the typical OFP roadblocks that limited full functionality (namely drive-on/drive-off capability on multiple terrain), and made the bar of success just too high.

I'd like to bring back the fully detailed model and features if there are dedicated scripters and texturers available.  Besides basic desire to work some magic and learn (like me), they would need good communication skills to bounce ideas and concepts back and forth, as this is a simple but daunting task.  The model details are going to be fleshed out for normal maps, so this is as close to a frest start as can be had.  I'm forming a tasklist to hit in as many places as possible (all I'm willing to do ATM as I'm on vacation  tounge2.gif ), and am completely open to input and ideas to make this a very enjoyable addon.  Thank you for the consideration.  smile_o.gif

footmunch and others had a working LCAC concept and released it - the actual 'addon' was bare and basic, but the concept worked and I succesfully applied it to a few models to see how versatile it was. It allowed for fast and smooth transition from land to water, as well as the sliding inertia that occurs on turning etc...

seeing as the scripting language is similiar if not the same for many parts, some adjustments to suit the arma engine should make this ofp concept a nice base to begin work from...

as for MP, the results were mixed i found, mainly due to the high velocity of the script loops.

Thanks to both of you. I'll send you the hitlist in a day or so Ironsight (for adding to or reducing). I'll contact Footmunch as a start to finding the basic code and it's feature list, and possibly approval to use snippets.. Or to have him take the project, as I just want a fully featured LCAC, not any fame (though that would be nice) rofl.gif . I have an odd but simple idea to allow driveon / driveoff accessability, so it has a better chance to work with the new collision detection, SP or MP... Lets hope.

Thanks again.

yeah - my best guess is the footmunch code with need reworking with the changes in arma in both script language, additions and also execution...

but till the tools are out, his method wouldnt be viable

Interested in helping Scrub, but I haven't practiced my ArmA scripting so I won't be very useful for a month or 2 smile_o.gif

Bit of a shame that BIS fixed the "boat drive onto land" bug, that might have been useful biggrin_o.gif

Scrub -

The hovercraft 'concept' PBO is here:

http://www.footmunch.org.uk/beta/rkt_hover.rar

It could work in ArmA with a few changes, and it may be possible to reduce the script overhead by using some of the newer

commands. I'll take a closer look at it once the new tools are up and running.

Please take any bits and pieces you want.

I love you guys.. uh, plutonically of course  crazy_o.gif

Thanks for all the great help.

Gnat & Footmunch, thank you!  And a month or two isn't bad at all.  That will allow time for some feedback from the public, time for us to discuss what we want to do, can do, and how to get it completed.

Edit: Gnat, about the boat driving on land.. Yeah, bummer there. That was what we were exploiting in OFP because there was a tendancy with the old 'F1' racing boat to drive on land, but it prefered water, was a perfect mix.

USMCRP3 has generously offered us some of his textures from the Marine Corps.  Big thanks there.

I'm taking off in the morning to head back home (2 day trip) so I'll be out of contact till then.  Gnight!

Dang, I remember this effort... A shame it didn't come to fruition, just like some others... The only "functional" LCAC ever released for OFP was Philcommando's, IIRC, which had a "contents-spawning-script" which made a platoon of M1's spawn when wanted...

Sure hope this time one can really get aboard the thing with a vehicle and take it somewhere else...

I'll be looking forward to this... thumbs-up.gif

Just as an update, [APS]Gnat has put his magic on Footmunchs' hovercraft script and created a wonderful platform for the LCAC.  Not sure of it's capacity in MP, will probably test in the next week or so. Thanks to both for without them this project is just a pretty picture ;-).  The model is going through revisions for increasing (can't believe I'm saying that) it's polycount for normal maps, and to smooth out those features that needed to sacrifice under the engine gods of OFP.  We've discussed some interesting approaches to cargo, and the now important loadmaster station on the port side of the superstructure (the fish bowl thingy).  Will keep you updated.

Cheers.

Ok, life's a B...  Busy thing..  yeah..  Anyhoo, here are some images of the new features (WIP greeble) and interior of the LCAC.  Trying to add detail here and there for maps and such as time permits.  Gnat's rework of Footmunch's hovercar script seems pretty darn good to me, it will feel damn nice crashing onto a beach in this thing!  Hats off to both of you  notworthy.gif.  I need to get o2 up and running ( banghead.gif  help.gif  Bresseb's install tut, OFPEC, and BIS sites not solving the problems) to get the model off to Gnat.  I'm hoping to have all physical details in within a week or two. I should have the model organized so I may strip it for LOD's, and have any features or changes that are requested to aid scripting within another week.  Enjoy, and let me know of any ideas or thoughts you have on this project.

Pic 1

img....e4.png

Pic 2

img....d8.png

Pic 3

http://img02.picoodle.com/img....MG]

wow, this thing looks stunning  wow_o.gif  so smooth...

you asked for ideas?

let's solve some problems first smile_o.gif

I asume you know LCAC's weight limitation, as i remember it can "lift" only one abrams...

so here goes ideas:

#1 cargo weight limitation

#2 propelers and tubes should rotate in angle depending on the steerring

#3 "landing" and "lifting" hovercraft with/without cargo

#4 correct cargo loading/unloading procedures(lowering ramps, ...)

#5 hovering over sea and land

#6 deffencive weapons? (.50cal as i remember)

hm... i don't remember more features which hovercraft has, it was long time ago when i was very interested in these, Ekranoplans took over everything except Kuznetsov and it's airwing inlove.gif

P.S. idea's numbers are not mean to show importance.

and i think it's my first post in arma forum  help.gif

Quote[/b] ]wow, this thing looks stunning    so smooth...

you asked for ideas?

let's solve some problems first

I asume you know LCAC's weight limitation, as i remember it can "lift" only one abrams...

so here goes ideas:

#1 cargo weight limitation

#2 propelers and tubes should rotate in angle depending on the steerring

#3 "landing" and "lifting" hovercraft with/without cargo

#4 correct cargo loading/unloading procedures(lowering ramps, ...)

#5 hovering over sea and land

#6 deffencive weapons? (.50cal as i remember)

hm... i don't remember more features which hovercraft has, it was long time ago when i was very interested in these, Ekranoplans took over everything except Kuznetsov and it's airwing  

P.S. idea's numbers are not mean to show importance.

and i think it's my first post in arma forum  

Actually here are the correct specs. on th LCAC:

Builder Textron Marine and Land ystems

Lockheed

Avondale Gulfport Marine  

Power Plant Four Avco-Lycoming gas turbines; 12,280 bhp;

two shrouded reversible-pitch propellers;

four double-entry fans for lift  

Length 88 feet  

Beam 47 feet  

Displacement 200 tons full load  

Capacity 60 tons/75 ton overload  

Speed 40 plus knots with payload  

Armament 2 - 12.7mm MGs. Gun mounts will support: M-2HB .50 cal machine gun; Mk-19 Mod3 40mm grenade launcher; M-60 machine gun  

Crew 5  

Range 200 miles at 40 kts with payload

300 miles at 35 kts with payload  

Availability LCACs per Day (from a total of 54)

Day One – 52

Day Two – 49

Day Three – 46

Day Four – 43

Day Five - 40

Operating Time 16 hours per day per LCAC  

Time per Sortie  Vehicle Load – 6 hours, 8 min

Cargo Load – 8 hours, 36 min

Sorties per Day for Vehicles 2.6 sorties per LCAC per day

Total = 104 LCAC sorties per day @ 40 LCACs per day

Sorties per Day for Cargo 1.86 sorties per LCAC per day

Total = 74 LCAC sorties per day @ 40 LCACs per day

Personnel Capacity 24 Troops

180 w/PTM  

Short Tons per Sortie  25 STONS

50 pallets (500 lbs per pallet)  

Vehicles per Sortie 12 HMMWVs per sortie

4 LAVs per sortie

2 AAVs per sortie

1 M1A1 per sortie

4 M923 per sortie

2 M923 5-Ton Trucks,2 M198 Howitzers, and 2 HMMWVs per sortie  

Time Details Transit (45 NM @ 25 kts) x 2 = 216 min

Well Deck Ops 62 min for vehicles

120 min for cargo

Beach Ops 30 min for vehicles

120 min for cargo

Friction = 60 min

Total = 368 min (for vehicles) or 516 min (for cargo)  

Unit LCAC Sortie Requirements Infantry Regiment

269 HMMWVs = 23 sorties

10 5-Ton Trucks = 3 sorties

Tank Battalion

58 M1A1 = 58 sorties

95 HMMWVs = 8 sorties

23 5-Tons = 6 sorties

8 Fuel Trucks = 4 sorties

LAV Battalion

110 LAVs = 28 sorties

29 HMMWVs = 3 sorties

23 5-Tons = 6 sorties

8 Fuel Trucks = 4 sorties

Semper Fidelis!

thanks for info u.s. marine core smile_o.gif

i did remember right, one abrams per one lcac smile_o.gif

thanks for info u.s. marine core smile_o.gif

i did remember right, one abrams per one lcac smile_o.gif

No problem bro, BTW it's Marine Corpssmile_o.gif

wow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gif

umbelievable!

how i want to play arma, but i need new pc sad_o.gif

P.S. I like progress of all navy stuff in arma... sadly there were nothing like it in ofp confused_o.gif

HOLY CRAP!!!!  

*cough*

I mean wow, you're good.  biggrin_o.gif  

Sure, don't pay attention to the forums for a weekend to install a new fridge, and you do this... Thank youThank youThankyou.....   notworthy.gif

Sweet.  I'll keep on truckin with the model details awaiting the dev's tools and we will have a nice unit.

Edit: And yes, I'll check the face normals next time  wink_o.gif

@ABS_01 Below: I have some sounds Somebloke got to me last time.. They're pretty good, we'll see what [APS] Gnat has planned.

Wow man, that's looking awesome!

Will it be possible to get rid of the tank wheel sounds?

Abs