Sign in to follow this  
Chris Death

Crash to desktop

so set it to automatic? ok

Yes, that works for me and my frend from our clan. Beffore there was no possible to play this game more than 15-20min, than crash. Afther this change we both can play 3 hours withouth crash and that was not possible before...so try it.

Set the virtual memmory size to AUTOMATIC = let the windows system to chose self size of virtual memmory.

I tried setting the virtual memory to automatic, but it didn't work for me, the demo (built 5110) still shuts down.

Athlon xp 3000+

1GB DDR

ATI X800XT, 256mb, 1078-768 32bit

Sound: Aureon 5.1 Fun wave

Asus A7A266, ALi MAGiK 1 chipset (AGP 4x) (that baby is from 2001 btw biggrin_o.gif)

WinXP PRO SP2

Latest ATI driver (6.12)

Latest 9.0c (december 2006)

Latest OpenAL

Latest soundcard drivers, 5.12.0001.0646

It crashes between about 5-45 minutes, pretty random, but only in game not in the menus. Mostly it says shutdown in the bottom left, but sometimes also straight to the desktop.

P.S. I'm not bitching, since it's a free demo (thanks for that, I like the game a lot), just adding my experience with crashes.

I get frequent crashes to desktop in multiplayer.

Morphicon downloaded version patched to 1.02 with language patcher.

AMD 2800XP

1GB RAM

6800GT 93.71

Audigy 2

WIN XP PRO SP2

latest openAL, mobo drivers etc etc.

even playing on 1.02 dedi servers crashes me too, even though the patch readme claims to have fixed several CTD's

I tried setting the virtual memory to automatic, but it didn't work for me, the demo (built 5110) still shuts down.

Athlon xp 3000+

1GB DDR

ATI X800XT, 256mb, 1078-768 32bit

Sound: Aureon 5.1 Fun wave

Asus A7A266, ALi MAGiK 1 chipset (AGP 4x) (that baby is from 2001 btw biggrin_o.gif)

WinXP PRO SP2

Latest ATI driver (6.12)

Latest 9.0c (december 2006)

Latest OpenAL

Latest soundcard drivers, 5.12.0001.0646

It crashes between about 5-45 minutes, pretty random, but only in game not in the menus. Mostly it says shutdown in the bottom left, but sometimes also straight to the desktop.

P.S. I'm not bitching, since it's a free demo (thanks for that, I like the game a lot), just adding my experience with crashes.

I have same configuration:

Athlon XP 3400+ (3000+original), 1GB RAM, X800XT 256MB

sound card REALTEK 5.1 (in 5.1 mode), in game HW acceleration ON, EAX OFF.

But automatic size of virtual memmory works for me.

...and in same time i have denyed sending error report messages too. OK i try make some other tests. PLS post here picture with you error message.

sorry for double post.... heres my rpt file:

Quote[/b] ]

=====================================================================

== C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ARMA.EXE

=====================================================================

Exe version: Tue Dec 19 20:52:32 2006

Item LANGUAGE listed twice

Item LANGUAGE listed twice

Updating base class ->CAManBase, by ca\characters\config.bin/CfgVehicles/SoldierWB/

Updating base class ->CAManBase, by ca\characters\config.bin/CfgVehicles/SoldierEB/

Updating base class ->CAManBase, by ca\characters\config.bin/CfgVehicles/SoldierGB/

Server: Player info added - name [4IB]_MAJ_Sniper_Pilot, id 2 (total 0 identities, 1 players)

Server: Identity added - name [4IB]_MAJ_Sniper_Pilot, id 2 (total 1 identities, 1 players)

Mission WAR!!.Sara: Missing 'description.ext::Header'

No more slot to add connection at De61 (6952.9,8228.9)

No more slot to add connection at Fh71 (11466.8,6127.8)

No more slot to add connection at Fi71 (11613.7,6208.8)

No more slot to add connection at Gh57 (13524.3,8896.8)

No more slot to add connection at Hc39 (14473.8,12501.8)

NetServer: new player (waiting for ProcessPlayers) - session.numPlayers=0, playerId=693149453, bot=0, name='[4IB]_PV1_Jensen', |users|=1

NetServer::ProcessPlayers(): users.card=1, session.numPlayers=0, created=1, deleted=0

Server: Player info added - name [4IB]_PV1_Jensen, id 693149453 (total 1 identities, 2 players)

Server: received SelectPlayer

Server: Identity added - name [4IB]_PV1_Jensen, id 693149453 (total 2 identities, 2 players)

sending to 29509f0d

Creating debriefing

Server: Object 2:163 not found (message UpdatePositionMan)

Server: Object 2:163 not found (message UpdatePositionMan)

sending to 29509f0d

=======================================================

Date: 12/29/06 Time: 13:05:47

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0233000F

graphics: D3D9, Device: Radeon X1900 Series , Driver:ati2dvag.dll 6.14.10.6652

resolution: 1680x1050x32

Addons:

ZS_BDU_Woodland in zs_woodlandus\, Desert in ca\desert\

CAIntroAnims in ca\introanims\, CASounds in ca\sounds\

crbf_arma_markers in crbf_arma_markers\, CAWheeled in ca\wheeled\

Civilians_Addon in Civilians\, CARoads in CA\roads\, CAAir in ca\air\

CA_Anims in ca\anims\, CAAnimals in CA\animals\, CAUI in ca\ui\

CAWeapons in ca\weapons\, CACharacters in ca\characters\, CASigns in ca\signs\

CAFonts in ca\uifonts\, CAMisc in ca\misc\, CAPlants in CA\plants\

CAVoice in ca\voice\, CAData in ca\, HEP_USMC_MarPat_Woodland in HEP_MarPatWod\

CALanguage in ca\language\, CAWater in ca\water\

CA_Anims_Char in ca\anims\characters\, CATracked in ca\tracked\, Sara in ca\sara\

CABuildings in ca\buildings\, CARocks in CA\Rocks\

Mods: CA

Version 1.02.5103

Fault address: 0233000F 42FDF5E4:0061C000 Unknown module

file: WAR!! (__cur_mp)

world: Sara

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:00811D1E

ECX:0AC350AC EDX:00000001

ESI:0AC350A4 EDI:28045030

CS:EIP:001B:0233000F

SS:ESP:0023:42FDF5E4 EBP:00000000

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00010202

=======================================================

note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Documents and Settings\afia\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\ARMA.mdmp

...and in same time i have denyed sending error report messages too. OK i try make some other tests. PLS post here picture with you error message.

Thanks for your reply, I'll edit this post later with the error message. I see you have EAX turned off. I did try turning HW off, but not EAX, I might try turning that off to see if it helps.

Just for now I can say I get two kinds of error messages, one where windows asks if I wanna send an error report and another where I get a message like ArmA shut down we are sorry for the inconvenience (or something like that) but I will add them later.

EDIT: Turning off EAX does seem to make a difference. I played 3 rounds all lasted about 30minutes, whish was pretty unlikely before. One off the crashes was different than I had before with only a black screen which I could kill in task manager. Strange thing was when I started the game after the crash EAX was turned on again (this happened 2 times). However if I disable EAX, shut down the game and start it again it stays disabled.

With the last crash it said shutdown in the bottom left and then got the Microsoft message:

ctd1qi0.jpg

Could you use the data of error reports as well?

Yeah I totally cannot play MP still lol I mean I can play non stop for hours and hours in the Mission Editor, but 1 -15 min and i'm CTD. I thought it was my sound card but my friend still has the same problem and a totally different and new sound card. Probably has to do with sprocket sad_o.gif

Thanks for your reply, I'll edit this post later with the error message. I see you have EAX turned off. I did try turning HW off, but not EAX, I might try turning that off to see if it helps.

Just for now I can say I get two kinds of error messages, one where windows asks if I wanna send an error report and another where I get a message like ArmA shut down we are sorry for the inconvenience (or something like that) but I will add them later.

EDIT: Turning off EAX does seem to make a difference. I played 3 rounds all lasted about 30minutes, whish was pretty unlikely before. One off the crashes was different than I had before with only a black screen which I could kill in task manager. Strange thing was when I started the game after the crash EAX was turned on again (this happened 2 times). However if I disable EAX, shut down the game and start it again it stays disabled.

With the last crash it said shutdown in the bottom left and then got the Microsoft message:

[im]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2435/ctd1qi0.jpg[/img]

Could you use the data of error reports as well?

I have EAX OFF and HW SOUND ON, onboard REALTEK 5.1 sound card and that works fine.

Try reinstall game and then play only original/official missions from game and WITHOUTH MODs! . I was trying few mods, but with some i have crashes, but now when i play withouth mods, everything is fine.

I have too CREATIVE SB LIVE 5.1 card but only with standard windows drivers (from MS) and i use this card only for TeamSpeak (audio communication), because CREATIVE dont have good drivers for his sound cards.

As i sayd, you have nearly the same computer like me and now i dont have now problem, so we must find difference between our SW/drivers.

The CTD problem seems to be a reoccuring theme in the Sprocket Czech DL version.  There is a thread for that here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=55705

I have seen people post specs for very nice and mid range systems, so it can't be something as simple as hardware.  

Anyone out there smart enough to see if its maybe something anti-cheat related?

I dunno, I'm just grasping at straws here.  I'm getting tired of restarting so often.  About ready to give up alltogether.

The CTD problem seems to be a reoccuring theme in the Sprocket Czech DL version.  There is a thread for that here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=55705

I have seen people post specs for very nice and mid range systems, so it can't be something as simple as hardware.  

Anyone out there smart enough to see if its maybe something anti-cheat related?

I dunno, I'm just grasping at straws here.  I'm getting tired of restarting so often.  About ready to give up alltogether.

Im about to give up too...

I have the sprocket version too.... and it just keeps crashing! same with my other pals who got it with Sprocket.... re-downloaded and reinstalled multiple of times! Maybe its because they make us download it all at once, and not in sections like Metiboli...

Maybe its because they make us download it all at once, and not in sections like Metiboli...

I'm pretty sure it's something else than the one-part installation file.

Over the holidays we (myself and 3-4 other Sprocket users) tried almost every trick in the book to isolate the MP CTD's problem but concluded that something is broken in current 1.02 (Sprocket) version and probably only BIS can fix it. Me personally have given up MP until next patch arrives.

I hope that everyone that are experincing this problem (and others) report them to BIS so they gets enough data/facts to correct the problems.

Wiki link below gives info about ArmA crash files and where to find them etc.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Crash_Files

/KC

I've disabled both hardware acceleration and EAX and found a good local server with very low pings. Now I'm able to play 3 hours without a single crash, when previously the demo crashed on average after 10 minutes. I could try and isolate if the difference is due to the better server or because I disabled both audio options.

Guess what! I will be back with a happy MP report later...

I've been playing for several hours without a single CTD tonight using 1.02 Cz (Sprocket version) on a great server in Germany smile_o.gif

Don't know if I managed to scare or maybe kill a gremlin here at my place but I have my suspisions and wild guesses. Will give full report later today, to tired/drunk at the moment but one thing is for sure - ArmA rocks in MP when things work!

/KC

As stated above I had given up MP until next patch showed up but people who knows me also knows that I had to give it just another try, and I'm glad I did!

Last night I played multiplayer for 3+ hours without a single CTD and below are the things that are different before that "last try"...

- Joined a quality dedicated server running working MP missions (no JIP only old OFP style co-op).

- Didn't load the TIR 2 software.

- Didn't load the TeamSpeak client.

- Didn't load my joystick software.

I talked with the admins on the server (thanks GDT) and was informed they ran missions with no JIP and no boats (boats seems to be an known issue for client side CTD's).

Their server was very stable, not a singel server crash/restart, a thing I've experienced on some other dedicated servers I tried the past week.

At least this proves that it is possible to get ArmA 1.02 Cz Sprocket version working in MP without CTD's on my hardware. More testing is needed, I will enable TIR 2, joystick and TS one by one and see what happens and if that works out OK my guess is that many CTD's are server/mission related, maybe it's related to JIP?

Time will tell - and whatever it is I'm sure BIS will fix it...

/KC

I agree on the boat crashes...dunno if jip is a problem.

All crashes me and other players\friends had were missions with boats.

We played 3 nights in a row without a single crash, a day later we played a custom mission made by a friend and crashes were random again...he used boats mad_o.gif

So boats are out of the missions we have whistle.gif

I first thought it was the sounds in the triggers I built in the maps, but now I think it can ben also the boats.

So in my oppinion the CTD are caused by the following:

- ALT TAB

- Sounds in triggers

- Boats

We will test this and come back with an outcome.

I agree on the boat crashes...dunno if jip is a problem.

We did a few more MP testings last night and for us it looks more and more related to how the mission is designed and maybe also JIP but all we can do is take notes, give feedback, have our own "wild guesses" on this problem and hope BIS are able to reproduce and fix it in the next patch.

Anyway, last night I ruled out that my TIR 2, TS, joystick software is/was causing the CTD's. I enabled one after one and played long time without any CTD's on my side.

Some things we noticed last night that increased the chance of CTD on the host was...

1. If one or more of the clients disconnected to the lobby and then reconnected and entered a ongoing game (JIP related)

The CTD's was not instant when client/s joined and could happend at random, sometime it was after 2 minutes other times it was after 20-30 minutes but a CTD was almost certain!

If we all entered the lobby at the same time and all started the mission after everyone "greened up" after all loading screens/map there was no/less chance for CTD's on the host even after flying 60+ minutes....

2. If the host entered the options menu while hosting a game.

The mission used for the test was a simple mission with some helicopters to fly, refuel/rearm/repair trucks and a bunch of static targets and enemy AI infantry for target practice. No boats, no WP's, no triggers etc. was used.

/KC

Last night the mission by this gamefriend was edited by him and the boats are off now.

No crashes, also not when I and others joined later in the mission(s) smile_o.gif

no more boats band.gif for us untill a next patch solves this whistle.gif

Good to hear ShadowY. Did players disconnect/reconnect several times during a ongoing game? Also where you running the mission on a dedictaed server or did one of you host?

Lets hope all this gets sorted in the next patch...

/KC

We are playing on a dedicated clan server or as hosts, depends on whom has new missions.

Nobody had disconnected\crashes, with some unknown players I can`t be sure on the dedi server but I guess they were just leaving.

I saw no loosing connection behind their names smile_o.gif

All missions we played last night none of the regulars or clan members had crashes, so we are happy. xmas_o.gif

Hello Folks !

I'm finished - I'll give up.

ArmA is unplayable - crashes to desktop at random after 2-15 minutes of play.

I installled a 700W be quiet power supply, switched my virtual memory back the hands of win xp, updated the sound drivers etc.

Nothing worked. I'm maybe too old for that, and I dont have time to fiddle around with my system. I'm tired.

goodnight.gif

I'll maybe would sell my computer these days in Ebay.

@ brabax: I know your pain but try to hang-in there and wait for the next patch!

Me personally try to focus on scripts/editor/mission designs until the dreadfull MP CTD's are fixed and I'm sure they will be.

/KC

My game is pretty much useless for MP so I tried something desperate.  Now I'm convinced of what was causing it for me.

If you have the Czech download verion from Sprocket read HERE.