Sign in to follow this  
BloodOmen

OFP Vs Arma SP Campaign

welcome.gif I was just curious to see what people thought about which Campaign was better. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War or Armed Assault.

Personally in my eyes, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War was far better than Armed Assault, for these reasons:

- The Storyline was far more developed

- Alot more missions

- Alot more interesting twists

- Better Characthers

- Better Storyline Interaction

- Better Beginning & Ending Movies

Why i didnt like ArmA's Campaign compared to OFP:CW

- It was way too short

- It had a terrible ending & Beginning

- Nothing was explained in the storyline  ( Wont say anymore, due to spoilers)

- Characters werent devloped at all.

- Missions were too short and sudden

- Everything was far too plain....

Now give us your view wink_o.gif

P.S

I would also like to hear what Placebo thought of this, as he is a valuable member of the community, and we dont hear alot of his thoughts.

I completely concur! The new campaign is a big back of ****. I find it highly disapointing. The characters remain flat and are not developed, completely unlike the characters from CWC, and especially Resistance's Troska. Worse off, the missions are extremely unrealistic. The idea that u have to charge at 4 armoured units guarded by infantry using a reloadable AT4 and a satchel is ridiculous.

The campaign was obviously rushed, just made as something to add to the game so that it can be sold as a full game(and charge the full price accordingly), and not just an engine with some ready made units. I supose with ArmA were really just given the means, but the community has to make the ends itself.

Not that I want to be totally negative. I love the new ArmA, the engine has many fixes that I wanted OFP to be improved on. I think in about a years time this game will really start to reach its potential, with new patches and lots of new addons and mods!

My biggest problems with the campaign (besides the broken triggers I kept encountering) were the first and last missions.

The FDF mod for OFP did an EXCELLENT first mission for their Campaign. You were just sent out on a daily routine, didnt have to fire a shot. It set the stage for the coming campaign. In ArmA, in contrast, you are told to go investigate a lil' ruckus. I was expecting some drunk guy to have pulled a pistol in a bar or whatever... AND INSTEAD FIND A T72 TANK AND GUNMEN SHOOTIN' UP THE PLACE! Horrifying!

And the final ArmA mission was just awkward. The Mission Briefings for the last and 2nd to last missions were the same, damn it! I wasnt sure if I had encountered a bug with the briefings or what. And the mission construction was just awful, a waypoint says "Investigate the camp" but points to a bigass field... just a very awkwardly constructed mission.

Must agree with you on all accounts OFPs standard campaign was outstanding.It really sucked you into the story.ARMA's is seriously lacking.

OFPs CWC had heart, spirit and soul. (Red Hammer; Resistance)

ArmAs....?

Hmm, you people are all talking like you've finished ArmA, so i'll ask.

How the hell did you pass "The Great Battle"?

Tottaly agree ARMA campaign sucks quickly made it sucks OPF campaigns rule over Arma's campaign wink_o.gif

I was really surprised to see a campaign in ArmA be less story driven than the huge story that was included in the 1985 and especially the Resistance campaign.

The AA campaign starts off like I just hit fast forward in a Star Wars movie, and am suddenly watching the clone war. I was expecting a wealth of cutscenes for an introduction to the campaign.

- The blackhawks dropping the troops off on the island, a better introduction to the Island, an overview of the situation just like we saw in the 1985 campaign... "As the only NATO presence left in the area, it is our job to respond."

There was nothing like that. It was just click click boom. More and more I'm seeing ArmA was made in a very short timeframe.

This does not really dissapoint me however. I think we're likely to see an expansion pack - we have the 1985 and resistance campaigns being beefed up and ported into ArmA, we have the mod community eagerly anticipating those mod tools. All these wonderful things will happen.

Yeh I agree, there are no cutscenes at all! Just some very, very short clips. With the Resistance campaign, the first couple of missions are only cutscenes or you traveling around, it was all about setting the scene. Now your dropped into the deep end right away, there is no psychological buildup or anything. So dissapointing.

shift + [NUM-] + endmission.

before that, tried until stuffed.

I was very dissapointed with the ArmA campaign.

In OFP you knew the soldier you're playing as. You knew his name, you knew his oppinion about that war (thanks to notes before every mission) and so on.

In Resistance I even felt sad, when I sew the main character's death (sorry, don't remember his name).

And of course I have to mention about the bugged ending banghead.gif .

To be honest, I don't basicaly mind, as I bought this game mostly for editing and mutliplayer game smile_o.gif .

But a good news, at least for Czech and Slovak players, is that creators of CSLA mod are now focused to ArmA !

For the ones, who don't know this mod here's something about it:

CSLA mod 1.0

<ul>

[*]Several retextured units

[*]Few singleplayer missions

[*]A campaign, that was just a bit worse, than original one

CSLA mod 2.0

[*]About 400 brand new units

[*]Lots of singleplayer missions

[*]And of course a great campaign, that was probably even better than any other campaings

[*]Save/load function for campaign, that you can use unlimited times

[*]Artilery script

[*]Suply box drop script

[*]Helicopter extraction script

[*]Rolling (just like the one now in ArmA)

[*]Corner leaning

[*]and so on ...

Looking forward for ArmA stuff wink_o.gif

Operation Flshpoint: Cold War Crisis all the way.

The Armed Assault campaign i personally think is rather crap.

Im really looking forward to see Cold War & Resistance Rearmed. Itll be very interesting to see if they pull it off or fuck it up.

True, the Flashpoint's campaign was far better then the campaign from Arma :-( Like others said, the Flashpoint's campaign really gave u the feeling of being part of the game ,something that Arma seems lacking....Good thing there are plenty of people who make good missions, and afcourse we still have multiplay, but I would have expected more from BIS sad_o.gif

I stopped playing the campaign on mission 2 where you're sent alone with an AT4 to wreak havoc behind enemy lines. Whoever the mission-designers were, they should look up the meanings of "immersion" and "realism" in a dictionary.

shift + [NUM-] + endmission.

before that, tried until stuffed.

Hmm, Shift + Num - does nothing, let alone the "endmission" part.

Hold left shift and Num pad '-' at the same time, release, then type 'endmission' without the quotes.

CWC was a far better campaign, with a logical progression and real involvement and tension. ArmA's campaign was just too obvious as to what would happen.

I've played through about half the campaign. For the most part, missions were simplistic and didn't showcase the abilities of the editor in the way that Resistance or several of the user made campaigns did. Also had problems getting some to complete.

Still, I'm happy with ArmA. Most of my time is spent creating my own simplistic missions anyhow. Love that guard waypoint. biggrin_o.gif

What's worrying is when mainstream gaming sites come to review ArmA. They will highlight the lacklustre campaign as a major negative, while for the community this is secondary. And before anyone says "reviews don't matter". They don't matter to long time players, but they do matter to a developer trying to attract new buyers and attempting to make a profit. Which in the longrun will have an affect on Game 2.

i understand most of the stuff people are comlaining about here. but i have to disagree with the "character development" part.

the fact that you're not forced into the skin of some soldier with his own character/opinions etc. is perfect in my opinion.

perfect because i'm convinced that ARMA is supposed to be a simulation. imagine people complaining about Flight Simulator, IL2 or silent hunter III not having enough character development.

when you play a simulation YOU should become the character.

anyway i never liked games or whatever other media telling me what to think or feel.

for the same reason gordon freeman never opens his mouth in half life. it leaves the player to make up his/her own mind.

the original flashpoint campaigns are a good example why this character thing is not always a good idea.

the 1985 character was a complete dork. mostly because of the voice acting.

the red hammer character was better but he just HAD to turn over to the "good side" half way through the campaign didn't he? guess i should have seen that one comming but it still sucked!

the resistance campaign was pretty good all in all. but it felt much more like a game than a simulator.

The CWC Characthers were soo much better than anything from Arma lol.

I liked the voice acting,define which characther from CWC you said sounds liked a " Dork " i personally thought they all sounded good.

The soviet twist was brilliant, i really enjoyed that.

The resistance campaign had to be the best, the game really got into the character.

Im very much looking forward to CWC & Resistance Rearmed biggrin_o.gif

*may contain spoilers*

What ArmA misses (imo) are those moments that made OFP so memorable. After all, everyone who played CWC remembers the 'i spy with my little eye' conversation, and it was nice to see the same characters in different mission, it really 'pulled' you 'in' the game. The first few CWC mission really trew you in the game, you had no idea what was going on and where you should go, it felt like war. ArmA on the other hand..

Its more like, walk here, go there, shoot those people, OOOOH PLOT TWIST! *end campaign*

In ArmA ive seen what? 1 character? And you only saw her in cutscenes, everyone else where just anonymous and disposable. The ingame conversations (especially at the beginning of the campaign) is (partly) what created the athmosphere, and ill never forget names like kozwloski (spelling? tounge2.gif ) or berghof, and of course the names of the playable characters, but in ArmA.. Well.. There is noone to forget..

Oh, and the sidemissions sucked, they felt like someone made them in 5 minutes, they are quite ridiculous and dont add anything to the game (hell, they distracted even more from an almost nonexistent atmosphere).

The ArmA's campaign lack any relationship between player and character.

The team-switch makes it even worse.

If you die in some mission and then switch to another team mate who are you playing as in another mission.

Also it doesn't fits to me, that normall soldier is doing special mission deep behind enemy lines, but I can get over it. But it's totaly out, that same soldier is flying with heli or driving a tank !

You may say that it's a different soldier, what I personaly think so too, but it's never mentioned ingame.

I don't even remember someone mentioning character's name.

Maybe I'm wrong, so please correct me.

Actualy only name I remember is codename "Crossroad".

This is so odd against OFP. Even after 2 years, when I've played OFP, I still remember the name of one of 4 main characters - David Armstrong.

The CWC Characthers were soo much better than anything from Arma lol.

what are you talking about? there are no characters in ARMA...that's what i said i find so cool about it.

Quote[/b] ]I liked the voice acting,define which characther from CWC you said sounds liked a " Dork " i personally thought they all sounded good.

i was talking about david "dork" armstrong. i can't point my finger at it but i never wanted to identify with this character. there were a couple of good voices in CWC (the captain, the lieutenant, etc.) but just as many bad ones. (i.e. fowley, the guy who asks you if you "filled your shorts" at the beginning of the campaign...*shudder*)

generally i like the voices of ARMA better. they sound more believable. except for that sahrani officer that's interviewed at some point in the middle of the campaign...he's totally overacting. and of course the german voices are horrible but that was to be expected.