Sign in to follow this  
WhiskeyBullets

OpenAL Performance

With Armed Assault using open source OpenAL for there sound and not using Direct X as Operation Flashpoint did is that what isleading to the big performance hit most are seeing?

Here's is the description of OpenAL

OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.

The library models a collection of audio sources moving in a 3D space that are heard by a single listener somewhere in that space. The basic OpenAL objects are a Listener, a Source, and a Buffer. There can be a large number of Buffers, which contain audio data. Each buffer can be attached to one or more Sources, which represent points in 3D space which are emitting audio. There is always one Listener object (per audio context), which represents the position where the sources are heard -- rendering is done from the perspective of the Listener.

Now here is the interesting part

To the implementor, OpenAL is a set of commands that affect the operation of CPU and sound hardware. If the hardware consists only of an addressable output buffer, then OpenAL must be implemented almost entirely on the host CPU. In some cases audio hardware provides DSP-based and other acceleration in various degrees. The OpenAL implementor's task is to provide the CPU software interface while dividing the work for each AL command between the CPU and the audio hardware. This division should be

tailored to the available audio hardware to obtain optimum performance in carrying out AL calls.

I have notice as well as other the sound issues with armed assault, could there be a bug or a conflict going on?

I've heard a lot of sound problems, like when turning the turret on a M1 I can sometimes hear the sound reflecting off something in the distance and coming back to me with a weird stuttering sound crazy_o.gif

Overall the 3D sound in OFP worked better then what we currently have in ArmA, the sound getting blocked out has issues from small objects. I've also noticed there's no performance gain when 3D sound acceleration is enabled, with OFP my Audigy 2 ZS has a decent FPS boost when 3D acceleration is enabled and it sounds far better overall.

From what i have read on OpenAl that if your sound device doesnt support OpenAl that the sound is then run threw your CPU. I could be wrong i guess the only way to know if those that are having issues using onboard audio or using a seperate card.

I guess another quesion i have is how OpenAl is used in Armed Assault, do you have to have a supported sound card for it?

I have done some research in reguards to OpenAl the version that game with Armed Assault is 1.9.3. There is a updated version with some bug fixes 1.9.9.

Updated Winter 2006 : Version 1.9.9

The OpenAL Installer for Windows will install the OpenAL 1.1 library, enabling support for core OpenAL operations as well as extensions such as EAX and EFX. The installer supports both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

DLL Version numbers:

OpenAL32.dll version 6.14.357.19

wrap_oal.dll version 2.1.4.0

Changes and Bugfixes

Fixed Windows 98 crash bug

Fixed floating-point related slow-down in "Generic Software" device

Fixed Source Gain problem on Stereo Buffers.

OpenAL Router search path now includes Router's directory.

Windows Vista Default Device and Device Enumeration fixes.

ALC Capture Extension can now be used independent of playback.

I will test this tonight to see if there is any differance in the sound issues.

downloading at the moment smile_o.gif

hope this helps to get rid of the few errors I've discovered

EDIT: somehow I can't download the file not with IE nor with FF

Having trouble downloading here too. If you could host this file, Whiskey, it'd be much appreciated. Might solve one or two things anyway.

Here's the Download link

http://www.minimenation.com/OpenAL/OpenAL_Installer.rar

To Install first remove the version you have threw the add/remove program in your control panel.

Then Install the new version

Then modify your player config file from soundEnableEAX=1; to soundEnableEAX=0;

Let me know if your have any issues

Whiskey, sorry for short reply, it's late and I have to be up in the morning, but that link has made a huge difference for me. The sound is no longer stuttery, performance seems to be improved, its great. Yes, you cannot play ArmA maxed out except on the most monster of rigs, but ArmA certainly is not unplayable.

(except the helo issue and that area is being addressed).

I'll try and get an idea of fps tomorrow when i've slept, but cheers again Whiskey!!!

Here's the Download link

http://www.minimenation.com/OpenAL/OpenAL_Installer.rar

To Install first remove the version you have threw the add/remove program in your control panel.

Then Install the new version

Then modify your player config file from soundEnableEAX=1; to soundEnableEAX=0;

Let me know if your have any issues

Why would you disable EAX?

seems this is an issue, enough for BIS to incluse this in the new 1.02 patch

so if the file remains down, people can just wait for the patch

Updating OpenAL worked wonders for me, hopefully now it will do similar for everyone else.

i didnt see this update included in the 1.02 patch. then only reference in the new patch was in reguards to the dedicated servers no longer require OpenAl.

There's a file named OpenAL_1990.exe in 1.02 zip wink_o.gif.