Sign in to follow this  
Kevlar2007

Weird Graphic Errors

Hi All,

I have weird graphic problems. After some time of play I get some polygons all over the screen, sometimes this poliys seem to be shadows that are wrong calculated around the objects.

I can solve this problems sometimes if I switch to desktop and back after reloading this polygons are away.

Sometimes I get exactly the same failure in graphic also in scenes that are renderend behind the menu screen.

I have tried different settings but it happens allways after some time.

I have Arma German Version with patch 1.01 applied.

My Specs:

Pentium4 3.2 GHz HT

2048 MB RAM

Radeon 9800XT

Soundlbalster Audigy 2 ZS

Windows XP Professional

Does someone have similar problems or any idea how to solve this problem?

Best Regards!

Sounds like driver bug or overheating graphics card. I had similar issues in Gothic 3 as Asus likes to overclock their 7900GS's way over Nvidia reference design and I had to drop GPU clocks down a notch and it went away. It would only happen in some games that rely very heavily on pixel shaders.

If you're running the gfx card at 8x AGP speed try lowering it to 4x... Not sure it will work but there's a posibility.

Llauma's suggestion of lowering the the speed from 8x to 4x doesnt seem to work for me.

i installed the new patch and the whole polygons all over the screens thing is reduced alot.

also there is something you can do to get rid of it completely however it makes the game extremely slow. to do this you put -maxmem=*whatever amount of video memory you have* (for example i have 128mb so i put -maxmem=128) as a startup parameter. i used 100, 128, 150, 200, 500, and 800 with -maxmem and any value over 128 gives me the polygons all over the screen thing. so based on that i assume the value you should use is the amount of video memory you have.

my pc is made of:

P4 2.9ghz, 1024mb DDR ram, 128mb 9800 Pro

o and tell me if this works

EDIT: o and it seems that this problem occurs with the ati 9xxx series as ive seen it happen to several others with 9800 series and 9600 series cards

Do you have AGP video card? Some motherboards are completely incompatible with "AGP fast writes" and some ATI cards, I had all kinds of video corruption problems with my old 9600XT if I enabled that option.

Thank you for the replies,

I will try this later, I also watched on the Morphicon Suport Forum about this and it seems that there are many of players that have the same problem with 9800 cards pro and XT.

I do not have problems with overheeting, I have played all graphbic demanding games in recent time and I never had any problems.

I will try your suggestions later, now I don't have time to play.

Best Regards!

if this is in fact an overheating issue, you could always try leaving your cpu-case open. usually works for me (x1900xt).

however i never thought an radeon 9800 would overheat so easily...

Hi all,

I have tried everything you suggested but nothing helps here.

Thanks anyway!

No its worser then this, i can't play at all when it happens. If I look in some direction some wierd polygons seems to come from on point in the picture and cover whole screen, if I turn around and look in oposite direction everything seems to be allright.

It seems to me that it has something to do with shadows of the objects.

I get the problem much less since the patch, but it still occurs, mainly in the towns.

I've tried with shadows turned off, and the problem still occurs, so i think its more to do with the general polygon drawing than with shadows specifically.

Now I am sure we are beta testing it for the final release in Q1 2007. I think they didn't test it enough before release. I only hope they will quickly solve major problems so I can play it at all, because in current state I can't.

banghead.gifbanghead.gifgoodnight.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifhelp.gif

Pretty annoying error, tried allot to fix it without success.

Here's what it looks like if any of you guys are interested:

LikeWTFs.jpg

LikeWTF02s.jpg

LikeWTF04s.jpg

yeah I get it too mate - At first I thought my card was over heating so I checked the temps & as you can see the temps of my GFX card are fine

2006-12-02 23:26:52 Application 'arma.exe' starting - 3D mode activated

2006-12-02 23:27:11 Temperature: GPU: 32.5°C GPU environment: 32.0°C

2006-12-02 23:27:41 Temperature: GPU: 42.6°C GPU environment: 33.0°C

2006-12-02 23:28:11 Temperature: GPU: 44.4°C GPU environment: 35.0°C

2006-12-02 23:28:41 Temperature: GPU: 47.4°C GPU environment: 36.0°C

2006-12-02 23:29:11 Temperature: GPU: 47.4°C GPU environment: 38.0°C

2006-12-02 23:29:41 Temperature: GPU: 49.3°C GPU environment: 39.0°C

2006-12-02 23:30:11 Temperature: GPU: 47.6°C GPU environment: 40.0°C

2006-12-02 23:30:41 Temperature: GPU: 47.5°C GPU environment: 41.0°C

2006-12-02 23:31:11 Temperature: GPU: 50.3°C GPU environment: 41.0°C

2006-12-02 23:31:41 Temperature: GPU: 50.8°C GPU environment: 41.0°C

2006-12-02 23:32:11 Temperature: GPU: 51.5°C GPU environment: 42.0°C

2006-12-02 23:32:41 Temperature: GPU: 51.4°C GPU environment: 43.0°C

2006-12-02 23:33:11 Temperature: GPU: 51.5°C GPU environment: 43.0°C

2006-12-02 23:33:41 Temperature: GPU: 51.3°C GPU environment: 43.0°C

2006-12-02 23:34:11 Application 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe' terminating - 3D mode deactivated

P4 3.6Ghz X850XT PE (AGP) 256mb, 2GB Corsair XMS3200, Creative X-fi

All drivers up to date, i've just uninstalled the game completely, and tested the GFX card which seems to be fine

Old cards might not handle Arma all that well, try to reduce display resolution and see if it still happens? High enders dont seem to be reporting this problem confused_o.gif .

Hi All,

I have weird graphic problems. After some time of play I get some polygons all over the screen, sometimes this poliys seem to be shadows that are wrong calculated around the objects.

I can solve this problems sometimes if I switch to desktop and back after reloading this polygons are away.

Sometimes I get exactly the same failure in graphic also in scenes that are renderend behind the menu screen.

I have tried different settings but it happens allways after some time.

I have Arma German Version with patch 1.01 applied.

My Specs:

Pentium4 3.2 GHz HT

2048 MB RAM

Radeon 9800XT

Soundlbalster Audigy 2 ZS

Windows XP Professional

Does someone have similar problems or any idea how to solve this problem?

Best Regards!

That's heat. If you are using an nVidia card then download the coolbits reg file and then underclock your video memory by 100MHz... that will solve your problem.

Also set the fan to be always on.

I am getting the same problems after downloading AA via Morphicon last night.I have tried everything from the lowest to the highest settings,still have the problem.

AA:1.01

Specs:

P4 3.2GHz with HT

2 gigs Ram

ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256 (6.11 cat drivers)

Soundblaster 24 bit Live

It is not heat I have checked this, and it is not an NVIDIA Card as you can see from my specs!

I used to get the same prob with my old X850Pro 256MB on OFP, and Farcry and Fear and then NeverwinterNights 2, so I ripped it out and got a 7950GT 512MB.

thats one solution I supose....

I did fix the OFP problem by winding down the settings in the driver, and tweaked the LOD setting till it ran smooth with a 2500mt view distance.

As far as the other games are concerned it seemed to be mostly about texture and lighting settings. They were at least made playable but for the occasional fractal wich sometimes multiplied into a total system crash.

There may be a hint in there but realy I don't think I'm much of a help.

Try to use Texture detail "Very Low".

It's possible that this may have some relation to use of main memory via AGP interface (which ArmA does if it is necessary) and this setting could limit memory usage significantly to allow the game to use only the GPU on board memory.

Try to use Texture detail "Very Low".

It's possible that this may have some relation to use of main memory via AGP interface (which ArmA does if it is necessary) and this setting could limit memory usage significantly to allow the game to use only the GPU on board memory.

I'll try it later tonight see if it makes any difference at all.

I also tried to reduce the basic settings quality level to low,

but after I tried it OFP kinda crashed to a black screen.

i got exactly the same error like Marss911. i got a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and i got the same strange things on my desktop, when moving my unit around...

i got the newest firmware, and still the error.

It is not heat I have checked this, and it is not an NVIDIA Card as you can see from my specs!

Well heat may be a wrong way to put it. Both of my old cards (geforce 6600 and a 6800 had this problem until I underclocked my memory. They were showing temperatures around 60-65 C) Try underclocking your memory... it can't hurt.

I am quite sure that this issue has absolutely nothing to do with the game (unless many games have this problem). I have experienced this issue in almost all my graphics heavy games with my two old cards after having played over 20 minutes. ALT Tabbing out and back in solved the problem for me for 5 minutes.

Underclocking solved it forever.

Marss I have the same wierd shapes as you.I cant play for more than 1 minute.

Will there be a fix for this.

I hope its not a problem with 9800 cards.