Sign in to follow this  
Ares-son

Central Addon database

I was thinking, that in the OFP Days you had so many different sites releasing new addons, models and stuff, that it was impossible to keep track of all or to choose wisely.

But now that BIS released the community wiki, modders etc could post a short description, a photo and the download link. So that unified community rating can promote good buildings, weapons, vehicles etc and everyone interested in modding can choose the stuff he's interested in implementing in his Addon without needing to browse all web, or rebuilding all from scratch.

P.S: In order to Enhace quality and Game attraction Modders could send in stuff. The best would be voted Addon of the Month or other by BIS and released as official patch .....

Just My 2 Cents

Ares-S

Thats not a bad idea. Hardest part would probably be figuring out the organization on the wiki.

That would be really helpful and convenient. No more dead links and over-used search buttons biggrin_o.gif

The wiki oprganization would be sth like

Addons

|

|-Islands

|

|-Vehicles

| |

| |-civillian

| |

| |-military

| | |-west

| | |-east

and so forth

Is it possible to implement Rating in Media wiki?

Maybe ill have a try and make a hierarchy in the Wiki.

Can somebody else pease poke BIS about visitor 3? -evilgrin-

Ares-S

Guest RKSL-Rock
The wiki oprganization would be sth like

Addons

|

|-Islands

|

|-Vehicles

|       |

|       |-civillian

|       |

|       |-military

|       |      |-west

|       |      |-east

and so forth

Is it possible to implement Rating in Media wiki?

Maybe ill have a try and make a hierarchy in the Wiki.

Can somebody else pease poke BIS about visitor 3? -evilgrin-

Ares-S

I dont think segragating the Addons into East or west is a good idea.  Some of the stuff we have planned comes in East, West, Res and Civ versions.

Depending on the software used I would suggest its easier to agree a common info template and then use the wikipedia search functions.  That would keep admin to a minimum.  All you really needs in the way of sections would be the preset BIS ones plus a few more:

- Units

- Air

- Sea

- Cars

- Armour

- Support

- Objects

- Buildings

Create a searchable standard template stating the basic stuff:

- Addon name eg: Mi-17, AH-1K, AH-64D, M2A2, M1 Abrams etc

- Addon Version eg 1.0

- Addon Class eg Air, Armour, Building etc.

- Team who made it

- Team Tageg: BAS, RKSL, FLK, CSLA etc

- Team Website Where to download etc

- Side (i'd suggest 5 tick boxes)

--- Bluefor

--- OPFOR

--- Independant

--- Civ

--- N/A

- Release Date (will make finding releases easier)

Im sure there are other things people will want to add like mirrors etc but the above would be a bare minimum to provide enough to start with.

If there is enough interest and support from the community i'd be interested in helping out.

you might wanna talk to OFPEC guys or at least drag them here to this topic.

"some" months ago a few people working on a project like this which even at the level of distributed hosting of addons.

Also, now with the advent of ArmA one should think about a common addon names scheme like for instance the known and popular AN- Code.

And we need a site where you can search for the PBOs name, instead of guessing the addons name itself!

And we need a site where you can search for the PBOs name, instead of guessing the addons name itself!

Yep, nice, but you'd need the actual CONFIG names used as well to actually do a compare between the "Missing addon XXXXX" and the web search because the PBO name won't contain that info.

Probably need;

- Weapons

- Consules

- Misc

And if we can find so HUGE an amount of online storage (I have collected 12Gig after just 3 years, and thats not everything available! (like FFUR etc)) then we might as well include the smaller files like;

- SP Missions

- MP Missions

- Campaigns

I think missions are absolutely critical. One of the big flaws about the OFP community was that missions were always neglected. Some of this had to do with the fact that soooo many missions are terrible. Much of it had to do with the fact that hunting down the required addons was a huge pain.

When missions are posted on the biki, they SHOULD include links to required addons. Make it as easy and organized as possible to get what you need.

Guest RKSL-Rock

So will BIS let us use the BIKI in for this?

I've already started building a Mediawiki site to test out some of these ideas but if BIS will let us do this on the Biki I'll stop now.