Sign in to follow this  
zyklone

Dedicated Server Crashes

I think than Netcode is not finished yet. Okay, sometimes there are guys hosting a server with DSL 1000 or so, so they cant bear more than 5 additional guys. Others with real good broadband-servers (100Mbit+) can't even host a 10-player-match ... feels like OFP earliest days.

Big Problem too: Even if you can't "feel" any lag, there is always some kind of "desync" lurkin' out there. Example: You can get killed by someone you can't see, just because he killed you 20s earlier. Coop seems to be fine, at least it doesn't produce "desyncs" that often. PvP is almost useless atm, especially because most weapons are way too accurate at greater distance (especially NON-sniper-rifles)

Just nice to know: ArmA is NOT using Dualcores properly (means BOTH Cores @ 100%). Hope BI will release a patch soon to support BOTH Cores at full speed @32 Bit.

Latest findings:

- Ingame voicechat doesn't seem to affect it, wrong conclussion..

- What seems to have helped is disable the server's firewall statefull packet filter (excluding arma or opening all ports did not help :S), and bind the server on 1 cpu-only.

- The server still seems sensetive for players joing while going from assigning into briefing, or joining while the briefing is on or it's just going from the briefing to the game..

Hello,

I have also 3 Arma Servers running,and the same problems...

Gamepower.at Public 1

Gamepower.at Public 2

Gamepower.at Public 3

the servers crashes on the way in the briefing... or after playing 10 mins on it...

server specs: Amd 64 4600+, 2Gb memory, 80Gb Sata2, on 2 1gb connections. Also arma cs in the drive.

Before the Patch 1.01 cames out the server crashed after 35mins playing... now they crash after 10mins or earlier...

i did a game today in the morning, on one server, for 48 mins and that was quite long... also with ingame voice etc... after 48 mins server crashed...

restarted again... and played again 48 mins....

intresting thing is only ppl with german versions played in the 2x48mins!! in my eyes it seems that there is a compatiblity problem with german and czech version...

in my eyes it has nothing to do with our servers and their hardware or the connection... seems a problem with the serversoftware...

btw one server crashed today with that message:

Subprocess monitoring failed due to subprocess is no longer active. The subprocess is probably dead. Restarting the process. Error detail: N/A

Regards STG77 Gamepower.at Team

STG77 @ Dec. 02 2006,16:05)]Hello,

Our server 1 now runs stable without crashes as reported in my post above yours, could you verify that you are playing under same conditions (Did you try setting the affinity of arma.exe to just 1 cpu? Did you try disabling stateful packet inspection firewall software, if you have it?), and also mind the part about where the server seems to crash when players join while the server is just moving from assignment to briefing...

We have been player for hours and hours, no more crashes

ive tried the game running on cpu 1 or 2 doesnt matter.... on both the same... we got a firewall, but the ports we use, are forwarded and open!

We got a Halo Server also running on it... Halo is running without any probs...

ive also tried to lock the server when im alone on it and went into the briefing... receiving data... server was gone...

also tried it with DEP, didnt help...

STG77 @ Dec. 02 2006,16:52)]ive tried the game running on cpu 1 or 2 doesnt matter.... on both the same... we got a firewall, but the ports we use, are forwarded and open!

We got a Halo Server also running on it... Halo is running without any probs...

ive also tried to lock the server when im alone on it and went into the briefing... receiving data... server was gone...

also tried it with DEP, didnt help...

Then all that remains is removing the stateful packet filtering firewall to see if it helps, opening ports was not enough, we had to remove it!

As that is the only real difference then apart from hardware itself.

SES server was having instability troubles for what feels like a while banghead.gif

Narrowed it down to RealVNC memory leak, stopped the service and all is well.

Maybe for others use task manager and look in running processes to see memory usage, if anything else is hogging the system RAM, then ArmA server will not be very happy!

Then all that remains is removing the stateful packet filtering firewall to see if it helps, opening ports was not enough, we had to remove it!

As that is the only real difference then apart from hardware itself.

Our final conclussion is the following:

- Firewall didn't have anything to do with it

- Making sure the game only runs on 1 cpu also after restarting is what all the crashes really quit

- Players joining, crashing or leaving otherwise during the moment the server goes from assign-->briefing or briefing-->game seems to have also been problematic sometimes, but besides that, our crashes on both servers are gone.

- As Goose noted, memory trouble can also crash your server, make sure you have enough free and monitor the usage/free while playing/testing, check for programs with abnormal memory usage

- Disable DEP protection, altough I think the server still crashed as much except with the DEP message :P

Quote[/b] ]- As Goose noted, memory trouble can also crash your server, make sure you have enough free and monitor the usage/free while playing/testing, check for programs with abnormal memory usage

How much memory is recommeded for a Armed Assault Server? We are looking to upgrade the memory on our server, plus I think some of our crashes are do to us not having enough memory. (Hours just has 1 gig)

Could anyone with a stable running server post there server.cfg? Want to make sure I did not do something with my server.cfg that could be causing crashes.

Quote[/b] ]Could anyone with a stable running server post there server.cfg? Want to make sure I did not do something with my server.cfg that could be causing crashes.

I would be interested in this as well