Sign in to follow this  
POISON

ARMA DISSAPOINTMENT

by the way im talking infantry only ctf here not tanks n stuff coop clans play it that way lol.  biggrin_o.gif

like i said too many coop players in here biggrin_o.gif

Well, it's because CTF didn't really play off of the strong points of OFP.  You couldn't lean, the G36 had god-like accuracy (and killing power), and the game wasn't really geared for close quarters combat.

There is a multitude of games that offer the CTF game mode. So If you're going to play CTF, why do it in OFP?

Quote[/b] ]Ive really got to say this game is aimed souly at coop players / clans.

This was the truth for OFP as well.

its like this m8 people enjoyed ofp in different ways be it coops ctf what ever but ofp had the controls system setup to perfection for fast ctf game play somthing that isnt in arma since my last post ive had 6 people approach me 5 are ctf players saying the exact same as me and another was a atef coop clan member offering his opinion still agreeing with my opinion of ctf play in arma its just lots of coop guys are really really pleased with the game and belive me so am i i think they did an amazing job!! although at the same time its a huge blow of dissapointment because some guys in my clan have tried it and said nope we cannot play like we used to in arma its just not the same plus the fact that people who do enjoy ctf and have arma are returning to gamespy because they are already missing a good ctf game which they cannot get in arma. to ctf players there ideal vision of arma was just ofp with a major graphics overhaul but its not the case and for alot of ctf players what they have done to arma its not what they wanted.

its like this m8 people enjoyed ofp in different ways be it coops ctf what ever but ofp had the controls system setup to perfection for fast ctf game play

Then stop crying here, open your options menu and change the controls

Jezus christ... rofl.gif

its like this m8 people enjoyed ofp in different ways be it coops ctf what ever but ofp had the controls system setup to perfection for fast ctf game play

Jezus christ... rofl.gif

its not that simple for god sake run ur ofp and quat with ur soldier put ur scopes on and run then u tell me if ur cursers splits like it does in arma then tell me if u can run and shoot with the same amount of accuracy and try walking also because that gave u more accuracy than running and does ur scopes come up automatically in arma NO! but they do in ofp might not sound like alot to some of u guys but to ctf players its what made ctf playable the way we liked it. now if you guys cant see the difference you must be dumb or never played the kind of ctf i did we used to use the curser as a aiming guide for fast paced play and you could run and shoot with some level of accuracy in close quaters u see alot of infantry ctf maps werent that big they had boundrys and a learnable path and were often a fast paced playing style.

If CTF-players just wanted a graphics update well... bugger ArmA then. Continue to play OFP. It's just crappt graphics. You can live with that right?

If CTF-players just wanted a graphics update well... bugger ArmA then. Continue to play OFP. It's just crappt graphics. You can live with that right?

yes we can m8 but we was also hoping for more advanced anti cheat measures and detections to be added youve heard of the resistance supercheat havent you that totally killed resistance off not to mention wireframe and speed software. non of which are detectable in ofp whichj is a massive shame cos id rather stop playing than cheat i have 5 years of experience behind me to use not like some people.

i am not a run and gun man, played CTF for a month or so after i got boradband in my room, then i find a coop only server which i have a good time in it, then never have a look on ctf

since CTI and Coop is the game mode that BI is focus on all the time its hard to make everyone happy, but the control can be change, and it takes time for developer to iron out bugs, improve control on different things and to perfect the game, so right now its too early to be dissapointed by the game(like the old saying: if we want the game as bugs free and as good as the good old 1.96, the game would have to delay to 2008, or becoming S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Duke Nukem Forever)

Jezus christ... rofl.gif

its not that simple for god sake run ur ofp and quat with ur soldier put ur scopes on and run then u tell me if ur cursers splits like it does in arma then tell me if u can run and shoot with the same amount of accuracy and try walking also because that gave u more accuracy than running and does ur scopes come up automatically in arma NO! but they do in ofp might not sound like alot to some of u guys but to ctf players its what made ctf playable the way we liked it. now if you guys cant see the difference you must be dumb or never played the kind of ctf i did we used to use the curser as a aiming guide for fast paced play and you could run and shoot with some level of accuracy in close quaters u see alot of infantry ctf maps werent that big they had boundrys and a learnable path and were often a fast paced playing style.

Ill tell you a secret, last time i checked the splitting crosshair has nothing to do with your accuracy! It just shows you are runningand therefore shooting is almost useless, the accuracy stays the same (although i turned the crosshairs off after 10 seconds, corsshairs are for pussies)

And yeah i played a few CTFs, however i hated the fact that i was locked up between poorly placed editorupgrade102 objects, and im just a coop player and prefer realism, which is what OFP and ArmA are made for, when playing CTF in OFP i clearly noticed that the game just isnt made for it, if felt weird. confused_o.gif

in my opinion, realism is defined by graphics, sound and an enemy controlled by an human being and not an A.I. controlled by some algorithm. therefore are ctf, c&h, dm and cti's more realistic then a coop mission ever will be. Teamwork is a nice feature in coop, but you will find it in ctf's aswell. But you still need to be fast in all those mod's, so it concerns all of you.

guerilla @ Nov. 26 2006,03:22)]in my opinion, realism is defined by graphics, sound and an enemy controlled by an human being and not an A.I. controlled by some algorithm. therefore are ctf, c&h, dm and cti's more realistic then a coop mission ever will be. Teamwork is a nice feature in coop, but you will find it in ctf's aswell. But you still need to be fast in all those mod's, so it concerns all of you.

However, humans tend to trow all tactics out of the window and just play rambo, especially when they can respawn. This doesnt happen in coop and therefore coops usually turn out to be more realistic (Oh, and also because most coop players are a bit older, have a bit more patience etc)

Jezus christ... rofl.gif

Ill tell you a secret, last time i checked the splitting crosshair has nothing to do with your accuracy! It just shows you are runningand therefore shooting is almost useless, the accuracy stays the same (although i turned the crosshairs off after 10 seconds, corsshairs are for pussies)

And yeah i played a few CTFs, however i hated the fact that i was locked up between poorly placed editorupgrade102 objects, and im just a coop player and prefer realism, which is what OFP and ArmA are made for, when playing CTF in OFP i clearly noticed that the game just isnt made for it, if felt weird. confused_o.gif

like i said people got different enjoyment out of the game for me killing ai wasnt fun. for me it was the buzz of playing real people that had trained there skill and using comms and laying down enemy possitions to ur team m8s and feeling good when u take out a few guys and grab their flag and doing a home run back to score getting credit from ur clan and giving credit to them for covering you as u run to score the competition in ctf was like no other type of game play.. i started out doing coops and yes i did like it for a while i liked using all the weapons and veichles but i also saw how ctf had developed other peoples skill at moving and shooting with speed and accuracy ctf isnt for everyone it takes alot of practice to be a good ctf player and learning the map and the best way to play it.

I didn’t care for the speed in which the original ofp ctf modes were played, it’s one of the main reasons I kept to cti and coop. If ArmA has slowed the pace, I’m all for it.

Jezus christ... rofl.gif

like i said people got different enjoyment out of the game for me killing ai wasnt fun. for me it was the buzz of playing real people that had trained there skill and using comms and laying down enemy possitions to ur team m8s and feeling good when u take out a few guys and grabed their flag and doing a hope run back to score getting credit from ur clan and giving credit to them for covering you as u run to score the competition in ctf was like no other type of game play i started out doing coops and yes i did like it for a while i liked using all the weapons and veichles but i also saw how ctf had developed other peoples skill at moving and shooting ctf isnt for everyone it takes alot of practice to be a good ctf player and learning the map and the best way to play it.

Please, use more of these >> .

Or maybe trow one of these >> , in after every x amount of words tounge2.gif

And well,CTF is just different, its not that i dont like CTF, its just that games like OFP and ArmA were never built with CTF in mind, and therefore its quite logical that it may not be perfect wink_o.gif

Been playing since day one, and I have to say that CTF attracted way too many Counter-Strike kiddies. There were CS-style maps all over the place when I came back in '03/04. Not to mention all the CS cheaters/hackers which flooded Resistance. (I remember seeing Buses and Abrams' being spawned all the time on almost all of the CTF maps.)

OFP used to be fun in the early days, with the large tactical clan-wars and what not, but it has now degraded into a more realistic Counter-Strike.

I hope ArmA will fare better.

Ok i agree maybe flashpoint wasnt really made for ctf play and was made for coops on large maps but people did realise the controls system and the soldiers movement gave them the ability to play in such a way and they did make the game with a editor and all the other tools to make it so. And ctf became a very popular way of playing with lots of people and gaming clans. At the end of the day its b.i.s that loose out for not realising that ofp was open to a much wider audiance than coop players.After all ctf players made b.i.s money too by buying and playing for the last 5 years and i dont know a single one that hasnt waited for ArmA too but now some people are getting more information im starting to here ctf players saying they arent even going to buy it because ctf was there way its how they enjoyed the game and who can blame them they feel a mass dissapointment as do i.

ofp is older than css

I believe he was just referring to counterstrike (which is older than ofp.) The CS gamer mentality hasn’t really changed since.

And as for that guy saying all that about realism and then saying using scopes is for pussies well son they dont tell you that in the real army do they? and since when do you hold a rifle in the middle of your chest have you noticed the weapons are now more central were as in flashpoint it was in the right hand if you want realism shouldnt there be a option to switch hands? they did away with that by putting the lean function in.

I don't think we should rule out CTF/DM players,  ofp is a brand open to all players, and i can guarantee we have all tried the once CTF/DM in our time.

The controls are a lot "slower" in terms of moment i think, but this might be a good thing for co opers. But i think BIS should take into account other game types, as if ofp supported them, its only right that Arm A should as well, and considering how we all love the engine for map editing, the same can be applied for the no coopers who also wish to ulitize the engine.

Lets hope BIS or a community animator make some sort of "faster paced" movement system as well to support the "as large" CTF people.

(im not a ctf person btw, but im all for equal views :P)

Nick

Nick thanks alot for that post and finnally somone that can feel for the people that have lost out on this really beautifull game the graphics are amazing but some of it has gone beyond what some people wanted. lets just hope there is some sort of addon introduced later that give ctf players the movement and controls of the old ofp series so they can enjoy the graphics and the game just as much and open it up to a wider audience once again.

Before I begin I would like to say: many of you abuse the english language so bad it makes my head hurt. u kno wen yu get in a helo, itz cewl cuz you dunt have 2 walk AAhhhhh, stop it! Use full sentences, capitalization, punctuation, paragraphs properly. Do you have no respect for the people that have to make sense of your jibberish? Do you have any respect for yourself? No one takes you seriously when you can't be bothered to state your ideas to your peers in a half-decent way.

And don't give me "english isn't my first language" crap! I'm pretty sure that German, Czechslovakian, French, ect all have capital letters and punctuation in their languages!

Anyway, on to the topic:

The controls in ArmA are not BF2-fast. OFP had a rather clunky control scheme (how player inputs affected the player in a timely manner). Are you saying that ArmA is more clunky than OFP was? That's hard to believe.

I have not played ArmA, but how fast-and-twichy do you need the controls in the game for "CTF not to be ruined mad_o.gif"? It comes down to TERRITORY SIZE considering what OFP and ArmA offer over other venues for CTF, right? Are you trying to have a CTF in game in the size of a city block or less?

It seems you (and other CTF players?) want OFP-with-BF2-twitchy-controls? To myself, I find ArmA and OFP to be a haven, an oasis from games like BF2 where your character doesn't move like a soldier so much as a hummingbird. I want a game where you feel like you have 40 pounds of gear on and not like a 10 year old on a sugar high.

Without a branching of the game via modding, no ArmA is going to satisfy both camps. Hopefully both sides will be happy eventually, but I would never apologize for, nor sacrifice the realism-orientation of ArmA to accomidate a game mode square-ped-in-what-is-this-game's-round hole.

Before I begin I would like to say: many of you abuse the english language so bad it makes my head hurt. u kno wen yu get in a helo, itz cewl cuz you dunt have 2 walk AAhhhhh, stop it! Use full sentences, capitalization, punctuation, paragraphs properly. Do you have no respect for the people that have to make sense of your jibberish? Do you have any respect for yourself? No one takes you seriously when you can't be bothered to state your ideas to your peers in a half-decent way.

And don't give me "english isn't my first language" crap! I'm pretty sure that German, Czechslovakian, French, ect all have capital letters and punctuation in their languages!

Anyway, on to the topic:

The controls in ArmA are not BF2-fast. OFP had a rather clunky control scheme (how player inputs affected the player in a timely manner). Are you saying that ArmA is more clunky than OFP was? That's hard to believe.

I have not played ArmA, but how fast-and-twichy do you need the controls in the game for "CTF not to be ruined mad_o.gif"? It comes down to TERRITORY SIZE considering what OFP and ArmA offer over other venues for CTF, right? Are you trying to have a CTF in game in the size of a city block or less?

It seems you (and other CTF players?) want OFP-with-BF2-twitchy-controls? To myself, I find ArmA and OFP to be a haven, an oasis from games like BF2 where your character doesn't move like a soldier so much as a hummingbird. I want a game where you feel like you have 40 pounds of gear on and not like a 10 year old on a sugar high.

Without a branching of the game via modding, no ArmA is going to satisfy both camps. Hopefully both sides will be happy eventually, but I would never apologize for, nor sacrifice the realism-orientation of ArmA to accomidate a game mode square-ped-in-what-is-this-game's-round hole.

First off, im sorry for my lack of proper English. Thing is, the Danish grammar isn't the same as the English one. I do, however, agree with the "n00b, kewl, 1337" crap, since it does indeed also hurt my eyes.

Now, ontopic:

ArmA is, as OFP was, a very openminded game, And it's a shame if BI have left that out to focus on a single type of gameplay. I am in favoir of slow-paced coop/team play, and isn't a fan of the small CTF maps like hexen*** (or whatever it was called). But the very wide aspect of gameplay that OFP offered made the community a very wide audience, and that is properly what we are gonna miss out of here.

What about all the tournament sites?

Cheers

It's up to BIS to determine what direction they wish to partake in. Do they want to appeal to arcade-style, run-and-gun gameplay ala CTF, DM, TDM, and such? Or do they prefer to focus more on the coop community and sheer realism? Of course a balance is preferred, but as with any case of attempted balance, there will be those that whine, bitch, and complain about not getting it their way. Someone, somewhere along the road, has to eventually suck it up and accept it for what it is, or the feuding will never, ever end.

My two deci-units of sahrani currency,

- dRb

Daniel @ Nov. 25 2006,02:26)]Mahlkav

That was my first impression on this thread. But without having played Armed Assault, I can't give an opinion on whether the controls have been changed for the better/worse.

for the worst if ur a ctf player honest.

You are complaining about controls in general, but you didn't wrote any single example of what EXACTLY you don't like. I'm just curious, because i like ArmA controls more than OFP ones...

thats for sure, (so much better than OFP) {RIP OFP}...

hmmmm

only 3days left till i can see for myself how the controls feel!

I was mainly a CTF player in OFP, but i played all other game-modes too and i liked them all.

My brother and me created our own game-modes like CaptureTheTank or Capture&Kill and someothers lol.

The best on OFP is the possibility of writing ur own scripts and so u can make whatever u want.

So ArmA will be the same and i think its stupid to say: ArmA is made for COOPs only!

ArmA is made for making everything possible!

To be free of choosing what u like most.

Im sure we can get used to the controls and some patches will solve some other probs.

If the controls r really so bad, then we will find a way to change them for sure!

Up from Wednesday, i will make maps for ArmA and i will make a CQB-style CTF map too, just to see how it feels! wink_o.gif

I couldn't help but post: well said!

ArmA can be made into close to anything you want it to be, if your not happy with no CTF, make it! (Good stuff doesnt come without learning tho...)

Run and gun may ork i sme situations, but a stable firing position, suppressive fire and leapfrog manouveres work much better if you actually want to stay alive  wink_o.gif

Obvoiously that doesnt work if you want to grab the flag.

---------------------------------------------------

HAvent played the game i will give my opnion nevertheless.

Compared to other games OFP is very slow in its action gameplay mainly due to specifical gameplay and controls.

That isnt bad in a sort of way, people can like it or not.

I personally like it a lot, it was perfect for coops and perfect for CTFS making the action still fast paced BUT REALISTIC.

If people are saying ARMA is still slower then i can predict this game is dead.

In OFP CTF action as i say was perfect, not too slow.

And that is very sad, i had a lot of hope in this game.

The future of multiplayer is CTF, conquest etc... and you need fast action for that or at least the fast action there was in OFP CTFS, one of the best multiplayer experiences out there.

And as for that guy saying all that about realism and then saying using scopes is for pussies well son they dont tell you that in the real army do they? and since when do you hold a rifle in the middle of your chest have you noticed the weapons are now more central were as in flashpoint it was in the right hand if you want realism shouldnt there be a option to switch hands? they did away with that by putting the lean function in.

I said crosshairs are for pussies mate, not scopes/iron sights, and i couldnt figure out what the rest of your post was supposed to say, although i dont see whats wrong with a lean function confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The future of multiplayer is CTF, conquest etc... and  you need fast action for that or at least the fast action there was in OFP CTFS, one of the best multiplayer experiences out there.

The future of most games yes, but when i look at OFP i can safely say that after 5 years COOP and CTI are the surviving gametypes, CTF is a minority and DM almost completely dissapeared, i expect the same with ArmA.

Quote[/b] ]I personally like it a lot, it was perfect for coops and perfect for CTFS making the action still fast paced BUT REALISTIC.

I havent played 1 CTF that was even remotely realistic, ive nothing against using a game for something else then it was made (i love the zombies for OFP), but at least admit that you arent using it for something realistic. crazy_o.gif