Sign in to follow this  
maxqubit

Xbox vs PC

I made a small comparison between playing Elite (console/controller) and OFP (pc/mouse&keyboard).

link

The limitations of the XBOX were disappointing. The significantly shorter view distance meant that some missions had to be altered. Sometimes enemy soldiers just kinda popped up in front of you and it was noticeable that they were put there on purpose by the mission designers to fill an empty gap. I liked OFP's tense periods where there were no enemy soldiers, but you had to keep an eye out for any hidden ones. When you close in the engagement ranges like that you take OFP out of its strong suit, especially while using a controller instead of a mouse.

(The voice acting could have been better as well.)

In more ways than one, it felt like a dumber version of the PC OFP. But, it was still a good experience for BI. They made improvements in a number of areas, so I'm still happy.

dude the xbox version blows, i tried to play that thing the other day, and after playing on a good PC with FFUR, i cant see how you could honestly stand playing that low res vanilla thing

I like playing Elite it's fun and the closest thing I have to ArmA.

dude the xbox version blows, i tried to play that thing the other day, and after playing on a good PC with FFUR, i cant see how you could honestly stand playing that low res vanilla thing

Because of the grass. OFP is 'wireframe' simulation.

Btw, i'm currently enjoying ofp + wgl, partly to toy with the admittedly superb editor (compared to Elite) but i miss the grass, is there a mod which has waving grass and bees, and butterflies??

If you happen to think 'wtf is that sh*t about grass' ... you will know as soon as you have to dive cause 2 enemy soldiers pop up ... the damned grass is partly blocking your view ... you really won't find that (immersive gameplay element) in ofp. ArmA will correct this.

To be honest after playing Elite and especially testing and playing the multiplayer aspects of Elite I really couldn't face going back to Opf huh.gif And I started off believing that FPS' don't work on consoles, nice to be proved wrong occasionally smile_o.gif

Highlight would have been doing a 30 player MP test between BIS and CM and completely thrashing them rofl.gif

To be honest after playing Elite and especially testing and playing the multiplayer aspects of Elite I really couldn't face going back to Opf huh.gif And I started off believing that FPS' don't work on consoles, nice to be proved wrong occasionally smile_o.gif

Highlight would have been doing a 30 player MP test between BIS and CM and completely thrashing them rofl.gif

Actually, I'm not very convinced on the FPS + Console match, although it may work for some, I'd rather play MGS or PES on a console rather than any FPS. However, I haven't tried Elite, I doubt it's pretty graphics and insects would pull me away from Resistance as I don't see anything else that is different to it.

Last few nights I've been playing (playing as in actual playing, not messing around with editor) OFP rather extensively compared to the rest of this year.

Day before yesterday, I got Brigade E5 after reading about it on dslyecxi's site, and I find it's gameplay very good, although it may put some people off with it's graphics. Definatley a keeper.

Also, I guess that humiliating loss to BIS should teach CM who the developers are. wink_o.gif

if I havent mentioned before, I prefer PC OFP. crazy_o.gif

Elite does have alot more emmersive fetures... But then look at all the addons and extra stuff in OFP for PC.

Hm, OFPE has a much better grafic than OFP and some things are also much better in it, but up to now I haven't learned how to command my soldiers right on X-Box and so I prefer OFP tounge2.gif

However OFPE is very nice... unfortuantely I can't play it at the moment because someone 'killed' my X-Box pistols.gif

xmas_o.gif

OFP on Xbox sucks because of the following reasons:

- I can't play with the controller

- I can't move with the controller

- I can't aim with the controller

- I can't command with the controller

Anybody noticed yet, that I'm a mouse+keyboard player? tounge2.gif

Apart from that I missed the multiplayer (no friends with console, don't want to pay monthly for Live), the full editor and all the addons.

Nevertheless I had much fun with it and it's a nice game if you can get used to the controls. I just never was able to finish a tank mission successfully and even 3-4 enemys were a hard fight and most often too much for me biggrin_o.gif

I bought Elite several weeks ago and played it for some time.

At first, the controls were indeed very very awkward. I basically kept searching for the button I wanted to use, but forgot that some buttons have doubled functions. But eventually I got used to them and they're quite good for a console shooter.

I love commanding in Elite. The AI is so much more usable. They actually do stuff I oftentimes couldn't get AI doing in OFP, without getting killed. But I suppose the limited viewdistance had some help in that (e.g. enemy tanks not able to shoot M113s because they're not in the view distance which is limited to something like 400-500 meters).

The only thing I dislike about Elite is the First Person mode, where for some reason the gun is 'hidden' away in your right side screen. For example, the M21, only the front of the barrel comes into view. I suppose it's some cheap fix to make Elite run better by making the FOV smaller.