Sign in to follow this  
Commando84

Microsoft kills mod for c&c generals

Quote[/b] ]Dear Friends,

For the last three years, we've worked incessantly to bring you the best Halo mod that we could. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but somehow Halogen has always managed to come out kicking. The problem with using copyrighted intellectual property as a base for a fan project is that you're very susceptible to legal action. We always figured that since Halogen was such a different take on the Halo franchise, we might manage to make it without incident. That changed today.

Hours ago, we finally recieved the words we've been dreading since the mod started to get noticed. Microsoft has decided that we are infringing on the intellectual property of Bungie Studios and has asked us to stop development on Halogen.

I was going to write a big sappy letter here, but what's the point. So..that's it then, I guess. The forums, site, and Moddb profile will all be shut down within the week. I can't say it hasn't been fun. It's a shame it has to end like this, but I suppose that's how it goes. Thanks, guys, for all the time you've spent supporting us. It's been a pleasure. We hate this as much as you do.

- The Halogen Team

http://halogen.slipstreamproductions.net/

really sad news cause it was one of the mods for generals zero hour i was looking forward to play.. confused_o.gif

Pretty obvious that something like that was coming, they probably want to make a game like that themselves and need to get rid of the competition band.gif

Also making something in the same style and setting (including gameworld, characters and weaponry/vehicles) as someone elses game that is sci-fi (so you can't claim the "hey, but it's just modelled after real life") then you are bound to get shut down confused_o.gif

am i the only one who thinks Halo should remain a FPS? and not some run of the mill stradegy game?

am i the only one who thinks Halo should remain a FPS?

Any game should not be copied, as they are 99% of the times less fun then their original. I believe some HALO mods for OFP imported stuff, guess it's that time of the month to conveniently acidentally delete stuff from editing folders whistle.gif

You got to be stupid to base a mod on copying a best seller game without first making sure that it's okay.

Aw, come on! It was a non-profit mod. How can you not feel sorry for them for the hours they spent on this? Even if I hate both Halo and C&C: Generals and I wouldn't touch this mod with a ten-foot pole, I feel sorry for the mod team and all the work that has gone into it.

You got to be stupid to base a mod on copying a best seller game without first making sure that it's okay.

well how many mods for operation flashpoint are there that are based on copyrighted storylines? if this happened everywhere even legowars would have been closed, its really a kick in the shin for mod development. However one reason behind it maybe that microsoft are making a Halo game sililar to C&C.

aaah, thats where you're wrong... there's a very good reason they called it legawarz, not legowars

aaah, thats where you're wrong... there's a very good reason they called it legawarz, not legowars

ahh ok, but still, stargate mod etc...

If they were using copyrighted material (textures,models) from the HALO-Game, well, then it's MS' right to shut them down.

If they were doing their textures and models themselves, then it's very wrong, and MS deserves some bashing! tounge2.gif

As for Legowars/Legawarz: It's just the name, that disturbed Lego, not the Mod. In that case it's "just" a trademark issue.

Microsoft should know a thing or two about copying.

Of course not, they just buy the company that has a game that looks promosing. The difference is that MS doesn't mess up most of the companies and games they buy, contrary to what EA does.

Microsoft should know a thing or two about copying.

Of course not, they just buy the company that has a game that looks promosing. The difference is that MS doesn't mess up most of the companies and games they buy, contrary to what EA does.

Well, I reccomend you look into MS's history (well before they were doing game publishing) before they had enough money to buy everything.. tounge2.gif

Well, I reccomend you look into MS's history (well before they were doing game publishing) before they had enough money to buy everything.. tounge2.gif

"Back in the day" EA had good games too, but that doesn't help the unfortunate soul buying any of their "games" (to be called a proper game it should at least have some sort of "gameplay").

Todays lesson: things done in the ancient past don't mean anything right now when it comes to games.

To bad for the mod... I was following it for several months now... Thankfully there's still a great Zero Hour mod based the cold war crisis, and inspired by good old flashpoint smile_o.gif

Screw that, I want world in conflict (to which Larry "Harpoon" Bond is contributing to if wikipedia is to be believed) already to satisfy my fetish for cold war warfare! yay.gif

As long as it doesn't evolve into Legal Wars... icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, one sees this happen time and again, and it isn't only Microshit... LucasArts killed the BF1942-Stawars mod called Galactic Conquest, just to spring their own Battlefront games... At least EA didn't shut down the Eve of Destruction Mod since it was still active when BF Vietnam showed up...

I bet the HALO-themed Homefront mod for BF1942 was also killed by Microsoft...

Wait... NOW WE KNOW WHO RUINED MASTERCHIEF'S PC!!!

crazy_o.gif

Well, at least OFP seems still to be "small" enough so that the big bad companies don't come around to harass us and our beautiful mods too much...

I LOVE OFP!!! inlove.gifyay.gif

I guess it´s one thing to make a mod with new units and stuff like that and another thing to base a new game on an engine that is copyrighted. game engines are a market and basing an entire new game, how revolutionary it ever may be, on a game engine that is copyrighted, even for non-commercial purposes is not legal.

Of course could even BIS sue FDF if they take it too far, but the difference to microsoft is that people at BIS have open eyes and ears and do listen very closely to user-wishes and discover more by looking at such mods.

I guess it got out of control at some point with the Halo mod. It started as a mod and turned into a different game. I fell sorry for the guys. Maybe they can deal with microsoft, it wouldn´t be the first time that mods get bought.

BUZZARD @ Sep. 13 2006,17:05)]At least EA didn't shut down the Eve of Destruction Mod since it was still active when BF Vietnam showed up...

Last time I checked you could'nt own the copyright for a war.. yet. tounge2.gif

BUZZARD @ Sep. 13 2006,17:05)]At least EA didn't shut down the Eve of Destruction Mod since it was still active when BF Vietnam showed up...

Last time I checked you could'nt own the copyright for a war.. yet. tounge2.gif

What about the war of the Empire vs the Rebel Alliance... it may have been a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but it existed!! rofl.gif

You can still get that Star Wars mod for BF1942 from the battlefield filefront website, so it wasn't shutdown I think.

I know, but any further development was halted, so what exists is still available but the team quit developing the mod some time before the first of the Battlefront games came out.