Sign in to follow this  
Shinkansen

Pirates

BUZZARD @ July 28 2006,23:33)]J W, have you seen "Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest" yet?

Yes, why?

You must have noticed that the "Flying Dutchman" had white sails and the "Black Pearl" had black sails. wink_o.gif

I think that even in the first movie it was mentioned that the "Black Pearl" was the only ship that had black sails, though I'm not sure. smile_o.gif

Then you got the good ole jolly rogers,I'm wondering if there will be a ghost ship as supposedly seen in real life,an eerie ship with a crew,the ship in a somewhat worng state,doomed to sail the earth forever and bring death to most of those whom see it. For whoever sees it,lies a horrible death.

Or thats how the story goes,to be honest I would love to see if the rumors are true,the idea of seeing a ghost ship in real life is quite intriguing,though I can't say I'm much for the death part.

If not I was going to ask permission if I may modify one of the ships to create a very old ghost ship,holes in the hull sides (or atleast one) with torn sails.

If not I was going to ask permission if I may modify one of the ships to create a very old ghost ship,holes in the hull sides (or atleast one) with torn sails.

Hi, you are highly welcome to modify everything and every ship of course.

Then you got the good ole jolly rogers,I'm wondering if there will be a ghost ship as supposedly seen in real life,an eerie ship with a crew,the ship in a somewhat worng state,doomed to sail the earth forever and bring death to most of those whom see it. For whoever sees it,lies a horrible death.

The Jolly Rogers is supposed to be the "unique menace" of the "Pirates of the Caribbeans MMORPG" that is being developed now - although both the "Black Pearl" and the "Flying Dutchman" will be featured... Saw it on a presentation video. smile_o.gif

BUZZARD @ July 31 2006,17:38)]
BUZZARD @ July 28 2006,23:33)]J W, have you seen "Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest" yet?

Yes, why?

You must have noticed that the "Flying Dutchman" had white sails and the "Black Pearl" had black sails.  wink_o.gif

When did I say that the Flying Dutchman had black sails?

The "Black Pearl" had black sails in the Movie and at the moment the modell has the standard white generic sail textures. Please wait until meyamoti will turn this modell into a true ghost ship.

@ J W

I didn't say you said that the "Flying Dutchman" had black sails - you only suggested there be a ghost ship that would have black sails. Would be even scarier than the "Flying Dutchman" and the "Black Pearl" together I guess... smile_o.gif

BUZZARD @ Aug. 01 2006,17:02)]@ J W

I didn't say you said that the "Flying Dutchman" had black sails - you only suggested there be a ghost ship that would have black sails. Would be even scarier than the "Flying Dutchman" and the "Black Pearl" together I guess... smile_o.gif

Ah, ok, I missunderstood.

tounge2.gif

@Dave: rofl.gif

Could you send me the shark for testing? I was thinking about implementing fish in to the Cast Away Mod. So i think this could get usefull.

@shinkansen... sorry I also can't provide you any pictures. Maby you could use side top and back drawings from modelkitships?

Anyway I also find a nice piratesong... maby for the intro?

You can listen it here

It's called Weird Beard, from Mad Caddies.

smile_o.gif

Hi, nice song, but I won't make use of it, because I think it will be a copyright problem, or is this song released for free?

There are a russian and an hungarian side out there with awesome plans for ships. Unfortunatly the hungarian is really slow and downloading is something like gambling.

http://shipmodeling.uw.hu/

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/rus/models/drawings/index.htm

The newest modell is the famous Golden Hind modelled after a very good plan. The result of using a very good plan is saving points without end. Now the inner and outer hull is finished and the first holes for guns are cutted in the structure.

pirat10ev0.jpg

great ships shinkansen smile_o.gif

I suggest you contact ruud over at military-meshes, he made a stunning model of the Batavia

Batavia

he probably has refs for you

great ships shinkansen smile_o.gif

I suggest you contact ruud over at military-meshes, he made a stunning model of the Batavia

Batavia

he probably has refs for you

Cool picture! Thank you very much for this hint, I will contact him.

Here the newest progress on the Golen Hind, now having spent 2000 points.

pirat11dy0.jpg

Nice one! Will the canons work? Like in the PT boats?

For naval combat it is assumed that one player will controll one ship as Captain. If the ship is a smaller one with one open gundeck the guns will work like land based guns but a number of ten guns is the limit (you can't control more guns).

If the ship is a bigger one with a lot of guns out of sight of the player's view, the invisible guns will be faked to save performance.

Other ideas for naval combat is to include a script for sailing that will control speed in relationship of wind direction and sail damage.

And the main idea is to splitt the ships between PC (player character) and NSC (nonplayer character). NSCs will suffer minor restrictions of the speed control script and will get more damage for their guns.

So a player character must have a good plan and skills to navigate his ship, but he has the advantage that a player can select targets and can try to kill the masts to disable an enemy ship.

An NSC (AI controlled) ship will always fire on the hull and needs a lot of time to inflict enough damage to sink it, but maybe from indirect fire it can also hit the mast.

Again the ship will have a lot of damage scripts that will create a lot of pure black smoke and fire. If a ship is burning it will be very, very difficult to stay in battle, because players can't shoot on something they can't see.

Any suggestions are welcomed! smile_o.gif

This mod is looking awesome, great work!

I'd just like to add, the Dutch harbour where they rebuilt the ~50 meter long VOC "Batavia" has been working for a year or two on Michiel de Ruyter's "De Zeven Provinciën" (Seven Provinces) flagship in Holland's wars with both Spain and England. It's a two-gun-deck ship sporting about 80 cannons in total (at least 26 sixteen-pounders!wink_o.gif

This ship was the sourge of all other vessels of its day. The Dutch never made massive battleships of 100+ meters long like the English (HMS Victory) as they saw that the draught of those ships was far too deep to be of any use in shallow waters and they were furthermore extremely slow and sluggish. The Dutch "two-decker", three-mast galleons were considered to be the best ships of their day due to their perfect mix of speed, agility, craftsmanship and firepower.

The Dutch VOC "Batavia" merchant vessel replica. One of the biggest of its day (it sported an impressive 24 iron-cast cannons!wink_o.gif setting sail to Australia a few years ago. The VOC was the biggest multinational in the world in that time. It was also the first "company" that held stocks and could be invested in. It was famed around the world for having the most and the best ships which could outsail any pirate vessel on the seas. It employed people from around the world. From Asia to the Americas:

batavia.jpg

The Dutch VOC "Halve Maen" rebuilt by an American team (?):

ship1.jpg

Check out the building process of the Dutch flagship "The Seven Provinces" right here!

I wish you the best of luck with this mod and I can't wait for it to come out!

Hi, thanks for the pics. The "De Zeven Provinciën" is really big, maybe too big for the game, but the "Half Moon" is a very nice ship and marked for modelling. I have found not only the plans for it, but also some drawings showing the interior of this ship and there are some virtual tours for this ship. So it is perfect for a player ship.

Hi, yes I want to make a map for this mod, too. But nothing is settled yet. There are two overall possibilities, first to make a fictional map or a map out of scale to have some small islands that should represent the caribbean sea or second possibility to make a real existing small island in a 1:1 scale. (Saint Martin, Palm island, Saban, Antigua something like that).

In the first case there should be four or five smaller islands:

1.) Homeport; maybe a british, french or dutch island with a small town, harbour, fort

2.) spanish colonies with gold mines, harbour, town maybe two or three forts

3.) treasure island from Stevenson

4.) something like Tortuga during the golden age of pirates.

5.) cannibal island, some ritual place, maybe old indian ruins

But again, nothing is settled yet, only some sort of brainstorming, so any comments nd suggestions are highly welcomed.

That treasure island should have somekind of a treasure cave in it. And small islands would be cool where player can be abadoned with one bullet like in Pirates of caribbean: curse of black pearl. But then it will look like castaway mod biggrin_o.gif