Sign in to follow this  
G-LOC

backpack

I hope arma will have backpack slots easy to use. The slots will appears as this when available:

ofphuck.jpg

The objects will be not available. I think we can drag objects to weapons slots.

I want´s permanent grenades slots too.

G-LOC

isn't that what the secondary ammo position is already supposed to be...  maybe rename it and animate it.  That is about as much as needs to be done. Oh and let you stuff it with ammo for a weapon you are not carrying when you go to a crate.

Bit unrealistic to carry all that ammo.  Unless you are on roids...  I think it is time for a random drug check...  rofl.gif

Mabey if they did something along the lines of the wgl rucksack system, but intergranted it into the inventory better. Because realisticaly you dont carry four mags into battle. I'm thinking two slots. Using the wgl system this means you could carry 6 extra clips, two MG mags/belts, a AT round, or a packaged LAW or RPG 18.

Yeah, not 5 rpgs, but more rifle ammo perhaps?

Or some explosives? etc etc

i think a backpack that works like the mapfact or Wlg ones would add a whole new dimension to armed assualt. But i also think if some people don't want the packpack that bad they can add some thing in the mission editor that removes the backpacks.

Sort of like a dialogue box in Mp lobby to allow or not allow backpacks. I really many times wanted to have more rifle or law , rpg rounds one me. And if you would carry 'em extra mags in the backpack you would of course have to open the backpack and then extract the magazine , satchel charge or whatever. Maybe make it take a little time and have a sound effect of a Zipper being opened and some searching inside the backpack sound maybe? thumbs-up.gif

Backpack would be a nice thing. Hidden&dangerous 2 had a great equipment system IMO. Something similar in ArmA would be great, atleast for me.

Edit: Of course, if you carry to much, it will slow you down etc.

it all depends on what unit you are. Special forces don't exactly go into combat with the amount of ammo you can in OFP...going behind enemy lines with like 4 mags and 6 hand grenades is quite unrealistic. I read about a month ago a book written by a ex SAS guy who lead a patrol in Iraq during the gulf war. He had 10 mags, AT weapon(s) (don't remember if he had one or more), hand grenades, grenades (for M203), satchel charges, "home made" bombs, mines...possibly even more. In OFP you could only fit the mags...though, a regular army guy don't go out with that on him...

Personaly I like being forced to conserve ammo. Finding a decent weapon while corpse shopping adds fun and immersion.

Maybe the difficulty settings for arma should be similar to most flight simulators (i.e. pacific fighters). Have lots of options for unrealistic conditions, then have a veteran setting for ultimate realism.

I wouldn't mind some 24-Hour-Ration-Packs tossed in there somewhere.

I remember BIS mentioning that they had a totally new inventory system in place and they wanted it to be a "surprise" for the community in an interview.

yeah i remember that line biggrin_o.gif damn i really wanna get to play arm A sometime this year.. well offtopic but im planning to save up money to get a amd 64 cpu 3800+ and a new motherboard crazy_o.gif thinking of the 1500 something kronors of credits i have to spend to buy those two stuff and maybe even new ram memory sticks makes my mind wobbley :P but somehow in the end i guess it will be worth it when i can actually play some new games at less laggy speeds smile_o.gif

Special forces behind enemy lines need 2-3 times more ammo. The load is 60-80kg. South african Recces have -712 mags, grenades, mags belt, shatchel etc.

The grenade slots can be used to knife, first aid too.

backpack can carry radios, scuba, crew served weapons kit´s and ammo´s, first aid, mine, claymore, cammo net,

G-LOC

For a backpack to work then it'd have to affect the mobility and speed of the carrier.

However, you could treat this backpack like a mini-mobile ammocrate. When you're slowly tabbing it up a hill and spot an enemy position, a squad could dump these packs, regaining speed and mobility, and kit themselves up for an assault. After they've kicked some butt they could retrieve the packs and carry on rambling smile_o.gif

What do ya reckon?

@GrabberUK.

I totally agree with you! Thats the way to have a backpack. No easy access slots.

My backpack for OFP was just like that, except that it didnt affect the players speed. To bad the ammocrate-bug ruined it...

normally you wont toss your mag around cause you need to save your wight and carry as much ammo as you can for combat

most soldiers(with normal combat outfit) would have 6 filled mags on ready while extra ammo is in placed in their backpacks, which if you actural used up all ammo in mags, you would have to reload each cilp to fight another day(well if you are "lucky" enought to waste all ammo in the mag in combat, well sorry but you might need to find someone to borrow you one or to take different weapon from someone i.e enemys body like the good old OFP) rofl.gif

you are not thinking that you could get unlimit clip from logistic guys rgr?

I like the WGL Backpack system but with one addition, the ability to carry an RPG and a backpack. The RPG-7 only weighs like 7kg. This can be maybe balanced with a few slots in the backpack be cancelled (because of weight). I remember seeing in some pictures a sort of RPG-7 backpack rocket rack that could hold 5 RPGs in it.

This is my simplest suggestion. The best "hope for oh i god i wish it were true" suggestion is a weight system ala E5 Brigade or whatever that game was called. The ability to choose different LBVs and tactical vests etc. was very cool, as well as levels of armor.

When we are talking about backpacks, i want to see medics with small medical backpacks like in Americas Army - thats good

yeah, and H&D2 system is really good and it could be cool in ArmA

It'd be nice to be able to have the option of carrying 2 rifles instead of just a rifle and AT. the "secondary" slot should be opened to include another rifle, not just AT/AA.

It'd also be nice if BIS left it up to the addon makers to determine the number of items a soldier could carry. This way, soldiers modeled with different gear could be appropriately armed.

When we are talking about backpacks, i want to see medics with small medical backpacks like in Americas Army - thats good

yeah, and H&D2 system is really good and it could be cool in ArmA

I liked H&D2 system because it had stamina. If you carry to much equipment, you get tired quickly. I think that should be in a game like ArmA.

-Ziggy- @ July 22 2006,04:28)]don't you think it is a bit unrealistic for one man to be carrying 5 AT rockets?

Not really. SEALs in vietnam used to carry 5 laws around in their rucks. Might be a little unrealistic to have 5 Javelin missiles or something cause that would be about 250 pounds, but lighter stuff would be reasonable.

-Ziggy- @ July 22 2006,04:28)]don't you think it is a bit unrealistic for one man to be carrying 5 AT rockets?

Not really. SEALs in vietnam used to carry 5 laws around in their rucks. Might be a little unrealistic to have 5 Javelin missiles or something cause that would be about 250 pounds, but lighter stuff would be reasonable.

Exactly. That's the point of an RPG-7 or LAW or AT4. They are Light anti tank designed to be carried around with lots of ammo.

It would be good as like GrabberUK puts it, and when you select the back pack as your "on hand weapon" an action menu mixed up with something similar to the inventory section in OFP, would appear to let you select what to do.

So you have your M4 in hand, open the action menu, select back pack, another menu with middle opacity opens( You'll steel be able to see what's going on), there you can see what you have in your back pack, and what options you can choosse, so you want to grab your med kit ( to sort out that wound on your left arm that stops you from aiming properly and that after being treated will improve your aiming an extra 40%, for example), or place your back pack on the ground, or add a few items, whatever, that would be good.

Without going crazy and modeling each individual pocket on an LBV and Ruck hopefully you'd have a quick access storage (vest, shoulder strap) and a slow access storage (fanny pack, backback).

You'd press a key and a semi-transparent menu that could even visually resemble your storage kit would pop up and you could click and drag stuff around like mags from backpack to vest, backpack to weapon (reload or change ammo type) or from backpack to ground. Bringing up the pack should take 2-3 seconds of slinging it off and standing still. Click and drag very much like H&D would be great. Also if you could shuffle around your crap while in an APC, that'd be stellar as well.

Also each item should have a weight and bulk value. You could exceed both at the expense of noise, turning speed, endurance, ect.