Sign in to follow this  
Milkduster

Black Ops in ArmA?

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but i have been playing ofp on and off since it came out. And after playing the CWC campaign again, and going through the black op missions. I am wondering about Black Ops being implemented into Armed Assault.

I am kind of on the fence for having them, such as thinking were they really neccessary? But then thinking that they were their to break up a repetativeness in the campaign.(not saying there was) Then there were the tank commanding and pilot missions to do that if needed.

How do you people feel about the black ops? Did you like the style that the were used in? Like being prone would make u almost completely invisible to the AI. That was kind of wierd to me. Do you want them in ArmA? If so, would you want them changed? Just curious.

-Milkduster

Guest Ti0n3r

I hated the way they were invisible to the AI. And I hated it even more in Elite, as you could stand right in the face of an AI without him noticing you... Btw, I think they'll be called Commando in ArmA.

hmm..maybe assign them special camouflage and make them 10% less likely to be seen by AI when in bush or forest...

Well, first off, it all depends on the mission design; sure ArmA will have full support of black ops style missions, I mean it's not really something that needs to be added to the game, it's something we can do in OFP, because of it's practically unlimited style of gameplay which is due to the high degree of control given to mission designers (and addon makerss, I suppose). ArmA essentially offers the same thing, so it's up to anybody wether to make a black ops mission. Now, if you mean the game shipping with black ops missions (and units) in the campaign - well, to be honest I doubt I'll play the campaign very much, I never even completed any of the OFP ones (except for on OFP:E). But that's because ArmA isn't going to be limited to what we get when we buy it, and if you want something all you really have to do is ask, or make it yourself. One thing you should keep in mind about ArmA's/OFP's campaign(s) (and all content in ArmA at that) - never think of it as the actual game, think of it more like temporary content that's there so we can have something to work with right away, until we make what we need ourselves. Well, that's my theory, short answer to your question: Yes.

I agree with you, I would enjoy the black op/commando unit and mission style as either a submission or single mission. This is probably because i dont think many people liked them, but thats my unsupported opinion. I found the missions to be kind of time consuming. It broke up the engine into different styles to allow the mission/addon makers what could be done.

I would also like to see what camo they give the black op and sniper. A better looking ghillie suit would be nice. smile_o.gif maybe u could chose the camo for the unit depending on where the area of operation is and what time of day.

-Milkduster

I hated the way they were invisible to the AI. And I hated it even more in Elite, as you could stand right in the face of an AI without him noticing you... Btw, I think they'll be called Commando in ArmA.

That's never been my experience in all my days of playing OFP:R or OFP:E.

Sure, AT NIGHT you can be very close to the enemy and not get noticed.

Have I ever told you about how I nearly pissed on a couple of fellow soldiers (who might have been OPFOR) out in the field at night?

Yeah, I was put out on a guardpoint in a woodsy clearing. Eventually, I had to take a leak. I started to and then heard something moving a couple of yards, at most, from my feet! I picked up my M16A2 with MILES gear and tapped on the sensor on the laser-emitter with my finger, to silently fire a laser (essentially cheating, but not something that a person without brains would have figured out how to do). To my surprise, a MILES harness started screeching practically at my feet.

So, yeah, tell me about how easy it is to see a better-camo'd Black Ops at night when I practically pissed on a normal-camo'd support soldier.

Soldiers sleeping on the ground and next to trees get run over by vehicles all of the time in the Army.

That's me on the far right... again at JRTC, the next year (notice that I bought a Starlite Scope to prevent that from happening, again?)

That's never been my experience in all my days of playing OFP:R or OFP:E.

Sure, AT NIGHT you can be very close to the enemy and not get noticed.

Have I ever told you about how I nearly pissed on a couple of fellow soldiers (who might have been OPFOR) out in the field at night?

Yeah, I was put out on a guardpoint in a woodsy clearing. Eventually, I had to take a leak. I started to and then heard something moving a couple of yards, at most, from my feet! I picked up my M16A2 with MILES gear and tapped on the sensor on the laser-emitter with my finger, to silently fire a laser (essentially cheating, but not something that a person without brains would have figured out how to do). To my surprise, a MILES harness started screeching practically at my feet.

So, yeah, tell me about how easy it is to see a better-camo'd Black Ops at night when I practically pissed on a normal-camo'd support soldier.

Soldiers sleeping on the ground and next to trees get run over by vehicles all of the time in the Army.

That's me on the far right... again at JRTC, the next year (notice that I bought a Starlite Scope to prevent that from happening, again?)

So you...cheated in an exercise and brag about it? Thats pretty pathetic to cheat on a TRAINING exercise.

When playing the black Ops missions I was never invisible to the enemy, granted it seemed that the AI didn’t spot me as early in comparison to playing a soldier class but as for when playing a night mission you’ll notice regular infantry weren’t equipped with night vision.

As for how Black Ops should be represented/handled in Armed Assault, I hope that they don’t get “special†camouflage which makes them near invisible to the enemy, granted a ghillie suit would be an exception when stationary. Personally I’d be ok with Black Op missions just being extremely difficult.

As for Black Ops in ArmA, I definitely see it as being a good idea. Though I get the feeling they might go by the name of Special Forces instead of "Black Ops".

As thats what the Black Op unit technically was, a Special Operation Forces unit.

Anyway, its obvious the US forces on Sahrani are US Army (after all you see them wearing ACU camo.)

So my guess is that they'd be either C.A.G./Delta Force, or one of the US Army Special Forces Groups. (5th SFG etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Special Forces missions. What I hate is the stupid one man missions where you sneak into a base and blow up something. I really hope that they give you the option to skip these kinds of missions because they made the campaign horrible. Hopefully there is less one-man army mission campaigns in ArmA

The only reason they made them "one man" often is they were too complicated for the simple friendly AI to assist on.

I did love the sneaky Black Ops missions in OFP was often due to their depth. Navigating by stars, timing with your watch, thinking critically if you wanted to engage a patrol or not, and not to mention all the cool gear you could use.

Those were the best alright, because you had to be very careful carrying them out. I remember one mission took me nearly half an hour to complete, but I completely wasted the Russians!

One of the best COOP missions are the black op ones. It's just the atmosphere of being far behind enemy lines and taking out targets stealthy with a coordinated assault and team, that makes OFP a lot more fun to play. Problem these days is, that mission editors make them far too unrealistic, as in, too damn impossible, even when you have a sound plan.

In the campaign, I always loved the black op missions. Purely because of the atmosphere they added to the campaign and the game itself. Sneaking through bushes, spotting Shilka's and then falling back, only to return in a later mission and blow them up.

So yea, ArmA should definitely have Black Ops or Commandos.

IMO, of all the games that put in your in the boots of a special forces soldier, whenever I played black ops in flashpoint I always really felt like a special forces soldier...just in the depth of the missions the perfect excecution of killing and demolition, and the feeling of really being completely surround behind enemy lines (and still getting away alive with cunning). This is more due to mission design than the unit itself though. I vote to keep them in the way they are.

You can have them but give us the options to skip over them! Many of us absolutely hate the stealth missions.

You can have them but give us the options to skip over them! Many of us absolutely hate the stealth missions.

Yeah, and make us skip tank missions, too .. it's an infantry simulation anyways .. whistle.gif

i wouldnt mind some, especially if it made you use your brain alot more, (like that mission, where we had to find the base via following supply trucks). Especially if they gave you a proper mp5sd6, which is super silent and super weak, so you wont go take on a 8 man section from 200m.

I would much rather play as a Grunt. Doing patrols ,walking the perimeter,working with other squads,and moving as a platoon.

That stuff imho is way more fun than black op missions and driving tanks and helos .

This is BIS though guys, something for everyone. biggrin_o.gif

I expect they'll still be there, but looking at the stuff we've seen about the campaign so far doesn't look like there will be many as if any black ops campaign missions.

Either way i dont mind, it'll break the campaign up a bit, so its not too repetitive.

Yeah, and make us skip tank missions, too .. it's an infantry simulation anyways .. whistle.gif

Oh hey thanks for reading my post. I specifically said give the option to skip stupid Splinter Cell wannabe spec ops missions that are always boring.

Also, one or 3 man spec ops teams sneaking by themselves into enemy bases IS NOT REALISTIC, it's not a simulation at all. It's a james bond wannabe crap.

Oh hey thanks for reading my post. I specifically said give the option to skip stupid Splinter Cell wannabe spec ops missions that are always boring.

Also, one or 3 man spec ops teams sneaking by themselves into enemy bases IS NOT REALISTIC, it's not a simulation at all. It's a james bond wannabe crap.

shift+(numpad minus) , ENDGAME

twat icon_rolleyes.gif .

Either way, I hope Bis focusses some more around realistic tank simulation, I really loved some of the Bis campaign tank missions! biggrin_o.gif

shift+(numpad minus) , ENDGAME

twat icon_rolleyes.gif .

Real mature to resort to name calling icon_rolleyes.gif

There should be some kind of Special Forces in Armed Assault. We might not see them in the campaign till the Americans get their reinforcements though. I think I read somewhere that they are missions where you have to go behind enemy lines to destroy enemy assets. I guess those will be with Black-ops.

Oh and I'm just waiting for the day Ukraineboy gets banned. I'm fed up with his smart ass remarks in everyone of his posts. band.gif

Black op missions in OPF were some of my favorite ones, i liked the feel of being on my own out there, having limited SD amunition forced me to use it wisely and not to go on a killing spree but it was also my chosen play style.

Crawling in the bushes listening to the night sounds, watching the sunrises, planting explosives, some really tense moments infiltrating enemy camps to plant explosives.

It was nice to break the more "messy" infantry gameplay with sniping BMP's, sniping PK gunners and stuff like that..

Wake up call and the previous one where we had to locate the shilkas in Kolgujev were full of atmosphere, i loved them smile_o.gif .

Im hope there will be some in AA and im looking forward to make some coop ones myself inlove.gif .