Sign in to follow this  
t80

New materials penetration??

Just to clarify, ERA is an explosive, not an armoured material. It is armour that is consumed after it is hit. So, *IF* the engine allows you to change materials on an object on the fly, and *IF* it allows you to change materials on only one part of an object, *THEN* you can simulate ERA without complicated, CPU eating scripts.

Quote[/b] ]Metal Heart Posted on June 15 2006,08:36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View distance up to 10km and beyond

Well, yeah... like OFPR view distance was up to 5k but you could only use it on the desert island of the default islands. Judging by the screen shots and videos, I think you forgot the "(but only if you got Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 4GB of ram and 2xGF7900GTX or better)"

Or maybe it's in binary, like "There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

it´s possible yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]

plaintiff1 Posted on June 15 2006,10:37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to clarify, ERA is an explosive, not an armoured material. It is armour that is consumed after it is hit. So, *IF* the engine allows you to change materials on an object on the fly, and *IF* it allows you to change materials on only one part of an object, *THEN* you can simulate ERA without complicated, CPU eating scripts.

what i think off, is. have you just played BF2, shoot on a wooden window, it just fell down and dissapear, its enugh to simulate era, it dont have to bee explosive, as it explodes anyway when you hit a tank with rpg. 1 gen ERA, i think you could shoot on with heavy mashine gun and it fell off but the latest generation off ERA Cactus. could be hit by 30mm round and dont fell off or explode..

Quote[/b] ]View distance up to 10km and beyond

Well, yeah... like OFPR view distance was up to 5k but you could only use it on the desert island of the default islands. Judging by the screen shots and videos, I think you forgot the "(but only if you got Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 4GB of ram and 2xGF7900GTX or better)" whistle.gif

Or maybe it's in binary, like "There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" smile_o.gif

Actually if 10km is possible doesn't mean this could be that 2km is default now? would be great.

Quote[/b] ]it´s possible yay.gif

I wouldn't believe it without seeing. It's possible though, Soldner has VD like 10km and beyond but objects are only rendered inside 1km or so and the ground further away is rather lo-fi but it looks quite nice anyway and is good for flying.

Quote[/b] ]Actually if 10km is possible doesn't mean this could be that 2km is default now? would be great.

I think it has been stated in some interview that ArmA will be aiming for something around 2km. It's not really that far but way better than 1km.

Quote[/b] ]Have you got the wow_o.gif eyes to see that far 10km smile_o.gif

That's why there's these great inventions called the binocular and the telescope, they make objects that are far away appear bigger if you hold them the right way smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Metal Heart Posted on June 15 2006,08:36

what i think off, is. have you just played BF2, shoot on a wooden window, it just fell down and dissapear, its enugh to simulate era, it dont have to bee explosive, as it explodes anyway when you hit a tank with rpg. 1 gen ERA, i think you could shoot on with heavy mashine gun and it fell off but the latest generation off ERA Cactus. could be hit by 30mm round and dont fell off or explode..

The window is an object on a building made of many object. For what it is I think you are suggesting, it would require a tank to be covered in nodes, and on each node you would need an explosive reactive tile or a set of them. Each tile would then need its own set of material attributes... like under what conditions they explode, and what happens to them when they do, and what happens to them when they don't.... under what conditions are they rendered intert.. that sort of thing. It sounds like a lot of cpu passes that are not really likely to enhance the game much for the casual player.

Kaktus is I believe 3rd-4th Gen ERA, it's not in fully service. The best one in service is the Kontakt-5 ERA which is a "heavy" ERA which is designed to not only stop HEAT but also SABOT rounds. Kontakt-1 was the 1st Gen and it had some problems with being hit by heavy machine guns. Kontakt-5 does not have those problems. Kontakt-5 is fitted to a lot of Russian tanks, from T-55s to T-80s.

Quote[/b] ]Ukraineboy Posted on June 16 2006,17:01

Quote (t80 @ June 15 2006,12:18)

Kaktus is I believe 3rd-4th Gen ERA, it's not in fully service. The best one in service is the Kontakt-5 ERA which is a "heavy" ERA which is designed to not only stop HEAT but also SABOT rounds. Kontakt-1 was the 1st Gen and it had some problems with being hit by heavy machine guns. Kontakt-5 does not have those problems. Kontakt-5 is fitted to a lot of Russian tanks, from T-55s to T-80s.

Hi..

here is some tank forum, and also the differense between     T-90S and T-90M, Kontakt-5 on S,  Caktus on M...

T-90S for export T-90M is not i think..

http://forum.warfare.ru/index.php?showtopic=16

Quote[/b] ]Ukraineboy Posted on June 16 2006,17:01

Hi..

here is some tank forum, and also the differense between T-90S and T-90M, Kontakt-5 on S, Caktus on M...

T-90S for export T-90M is not i think..

http://forum.warfare.ru/index.php?showtopic=16

Wrong. T-90M uses a fully welded turret instead of a cast one. That's the difference. Kaktus may be put on T-90M but it's not offered as of yet nor in use. No concrete information says that the T-90M "Vladimir" has Kaktus. You can speculate but it's not true. T-90S is regular T-90 for export. Currently Kaktus is only seen on the prototype Black Eagle tank.

Quote[/b] ]plaintiff1 Posted on June 16 2006,12:28

Metal Heart Posted on June 15 2006,08:36

The window is an object on a building made of many object. For what it is I think you are suggesting, it would require a tank to be covered in nodes, and on each node you would need an explosive reactive tile or a set of them. Each tile would then need its own set of material attributes... like under what conditions they explode, and what happens to them when they do, and what happens to them when they don't.... under what conditions are they rendered intert.. that sort of thing. It sounds like a lot of cpu passes that are not really likely to enhance the game much for the casual player.

like u explained but 5 times more rough, no explotion needed, and they just fell off and dissapear, or just dissapear and lets say 4-8 "nodes" is one area = 1 "node". Or armor values is increased on those areas, but only for the first shot. when, the ERA should dissapear, depends on what era it is.. 1 gen shoot off with mashine gun, and then hit with law, or just 2 law´s

Quote[/b] ]Wrong. T-90M uses a fully welded turret instead of a cast one. That's the difference. Kaktus may be put on T-90M but it's not offered as of yet nor in use. No concrete information says that the T-90M "Vladimir" has Kaktus. You can speculate but it's not true. T-90S is regular T-90 for export. Currently Kaktus is only seen on the prototype Black Eagle tank.

Is there somthing more that is possible to do with the use off new materials, somthing else that is unlocked posibilities with the new uppgraded engine? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Wrong. T-90M uses a fully welded turret instead of a cast one. That's the difference. Kaktus may be put on T-90M but it's not offered as of yet nor in use. No concrete information says that the T-90M "Vladimir" has Kaktus. You can speculate but it's not true. T-90S is regular T-90 for export. Currently Kaktus is only seen on the prototype Black Eagle tank.

Is there somthing more that is possible to do with the use off new materials, somthing else that is unlocked posibilities with the new uppgraded engine? smile_o.gif

Sorry I don't understand a word you just said. Could you rephrase that?

We dont know before we have ArmA in our hands wink_o.gif

like u explained but 5 times more rough, no explotion needed, and they just fell off and dissapear, or just dissapear and lets say 4-8 "nodes" is one area = 1 "node". Or armor values is increased on those areas, but only for the first shot. when, the ERA should dissapear, depends on what era it is.. 1 gen shoot off with mashine gun, and then hit with law, or just 2 law´s

What I was getting at is that it would be unlikely that BIS would impliment such a system that would add a lot of complexity to their tank models without much benefit. However, considering that only tanks would use the ERA, who knows? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the number of cpu passes would be noticible as you're multiplying the number of objects the computer has to keep track of, plus the geometry. I'm not a programmer, though, sadly. It does sound like the specs for ArmA are pretty stretched out, as it has more aspects than your average shooter... view distance being a big factor that is non-issues in other games.