Sign in to follow this  
Lanfear

Marketing for Armed Assault

Hello all,

at the end of this week it will be june and i think its time to to a little bit of marketing for ArmA. We all know, that BIS is (perhaps) a good developer. But their activities in marketing are a little bit "poor" smile_o.gif

Why is this important?

We all know that BIS is looking for a publisher. I think its very difficult to find a publisher for a game without publicity or a public comunity (the old OFP comunity is very active but very small).

So here is my idea: Let's help BIS with some ideas for marketing. Perhaps some of the comunity members can do much more than the BIS members.

So here are some ideas from me:

1. We should clarify the age of the different screenshots we can find on the entiry game websites. I often saw old screenshots in actual previews. As an effect of this the readers associate this old screenshots with the actual game status... and as an effect of this we found articles like in the german "Gamestar".

2. Lets create a kind of "demonstration disc" with HTML based informations of ArmA (Background Infos, Screenshots, Videos,  possible MODs, etc.) and send this discs to the relevant games websites / papers.

Now ist your turn :-)

Lanfear

You are right. Most of the actual previews have very old screenshots. As an effect of this ArmA isnt well-placed as an "modern" combat simulator. Too bad that BIS looses this chances to place their product :-(

So the idea is, that we build a package of actual screenshots and send them to game newssites/papers? Perhaps a short info with some Links to the comunity sides would be enough.

Therefor we need the email adresses of the relevant newssites and papers. Perhaps placebo can help?

What is the use for starting marketing when the game isn't even finished and either hasn't got a publisher. Marketing is all for the publisher and not for BIS to do. BIS is only giving us, the community, stuff to see how far it is in development.

Once BIS is signed to a publisher, they'll do everything for marketing, show recent pictures, as it is in the publishers interest.

just 1 thing..

Are you sure BIS wants our help on this subject?

Can we have a Opinion about this thread, in order to help them to reveal ARMED ASSAULT to the world.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>BIS, do you want/need our help on this subject?</span>

Of course its good to help on marketing, and of course its the task of a publisher to do the "main job".

But i think its a real problem to find a good publisher without any pre-marketing. How would you confince a publisher without any marketing and response from the market resp. the fans?

And of course its an old wisdom that the most good ideas comes from the users. So why dont gather somer new ideas? I'm confident that the comunity has some good ideas! So why dont ask?

Lanfear

The best marketing is the community posting on other forums about Armed Assault and thus attracting new players. Everything else should be BIS' job, and I think they know what to do.

BIS sucks at marketing, this just shows they are good people. 'Cause you know; marketing involves lying most of the time.

lol...

Anyway, I doubt BIS wants us to do something like sending out stuff to various people in the industry. They, and the future publisher, wants to control as much as possible regarding communication and marketing of their product. (of course).

As long as each of the forum members convinces another person to go out and buy this game then we've done our bit. I can understand why some people want up-to-date videos and screenshots but I personally don't need that. As soon as BIS anounced ArmAs was in development they had already sold 1 copy to me....

I'm sure a multi-million dollar company wants a bunch of advice from some teenagers and 20 year olds who have taken one class in Marketing icon_rolleyes.gif

Its a company! They know what the fuck they are doing.

hey, hey... Cool down :-)

and by the way.... i dont think that this comunity consists of 20 year old teenies who passed their 1st year in economics :-)

Lanfear

and by the way.... i dont think that this comunity consists of 20 year old teenies who passed their 1st year in economics :-)

Lanfear

Looking at some of the comments and suggestions for ArmA I would think post of them consist of 15 year olds.

I'm sure a multi-million dollar company wants a bunch of advice from some teenagers and 20 year olds who have taken one class in Marketing  icon_rolleyes.gif

ukrainboy u are the only abusive and a proper nob in here your posts, sry too tell u this but they are nothing but

flame bait. boring you would be suprised who some of the people are who play this game

we dont live in your little world child

and you really dont help with your snide ass remarks

biggrin_o.gif

Calm down and grow up, Ukraineboy.

Consider yourself warned.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">over 1.000,000 copies of Operation Flashpoint sold worldwide

from http://www.bistudio.com/inside/history.html

if every gamer who bought flashpoint take a look to the last arma pics, they will buy arma

With the well established fanbase, and the favourable previews its getting in games magazines, I seriously doubt that BIS will have problems selling a few copies of ArmA rofl.gif

The best feature of the Ofp/VBS/ArmA/Game2 series is SCOPE. The sheer depth and breadth of the simulation.

This is what really sets it apart from other games. The fact you can get in a helo in someplace ride for 5 minutes, walk for an hour, then drive for 20 more and get 1/2 across the map.. that's what's so cool.

Your standard FPS junkie is going to look at it and assume it's closed and linear like all the regular FPS games with worse graphics.

I'm sure a multi-million dollar company wants a bunch of advice from some teenagers and 20 year olds who have taken one class in Marketing icon_rolleyes.gif

ukrainboy u are the only abusive and a proper nob in here your posts, sry too tell u this but they are nothing but

flame bait. boring you would be suprised who some of the people are who play this game

we dont live in your little world child

and you really dont help with your snide ass remarks

biggrin_o.gif

Im not trying to flame here, but people will take your posts more seriously if you take the time to type properly.

So... back to topic, Ukraineboy.

@Frederf: You said something important: there are facts and features which sets ArmA completely apart from other games. Back to marketing it shoudl be possible to make a kind of matrix, so everyone can see the difference between ArmA and other war based games.

This might help the game newssites and papers to rate ArmA and to set it in the correct context.

One more word in general:

of course its not our task to do the marketing job... but why cant we collect our ideas??

Lanfear

Hey! And we're not all teenagers and twenties! .. Check my profile young man!!

I think everyone should have their age stamped on their avatars!  tounge2.gif

Back on topic ... I think that assuming that BIS is incompetent at marketing is definitely immature though! BIS is a developer and they have already assigned their marketing to IDEA. IDEA will negotiate a publisher for BIS on their terms and this is what can take time. When a publisher has been engaged and a proper deal struck this is when the game will be marketed!  whistle.gif

This thread will serve nothing more than to kill some more time for the community while we are waiting!  tounge2.gif

I think Bis would do a good thing by mentioning the "engine version" on their screenshots smile_o.gif . I believe we were at version 2.97 or something?

Guest Ti0n3r

So right now ArmA is OFP 2.97 nener.gif

On toppic; It's our duty to convince our friends to buy ArmA (As far as I'm concerned) wink_o.gif

The rest is up to BIS and the publisher.

Everywhere I go, every minute of the day, as soon as the topic of any conversation is "pc-games" I sell Flashpoint/ArmA preacher-style!

I bet I'm allready responsible for at least 100 copies of OFP-Gold being sold.

BIS I'm responsible for 1/10000th of your Flashpoint sales!!!

Now gimme some more movies and a demo, I got some convincing to do!! rofl.gif

*walks on the street, stops total stranger*

"You have a pc sir?"

"Yes"

"You play games sir?"

"Yes"