Sign in to follow this  
Sturmwolf

Precise year of setting and weapons...

Yep I know(or at least im sure). This was already discussed.

Starting a thread for this is pointless. Well its a forum, so get over it.

(I found nothing using several keywords =( )

I must have missed the year the game is set in, and I wonder if there are any reports about gear yet and if we will see the xm8 ingame, which id love though most of you probably wouldnt. (supersoaker look etc...)

Guest Ti0n3r

ArmA is set in 2006.

How did I know that? I don't know. whistle.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Btw, since ArmA has a modern setting, I hope it comes with a decent stock M4. Then there won't be 1 bilion M4 addons released every week biggrin_o.gif

Btw, since ArmA has a modern setting, I hope it comes with a decent stock M4. Then there won't be 1 bilion M4 addons released every week biggrin_o.gif

can't agree more.

hope no plastic m4

I must have missed the year the game is set in, and I wonder if there are any reports about gear yet and if we will see the xm8 ingame, which id love though most of you probably wouldnt. (supersoaker look etc...)

The XM8 was dropped (not that the US military put any effort into it), but that's old news.

Since we're seeing ACU now, it's definatly set in current times (it was also stated a few times that it was going to take place in a modern setting). ACU only realy started showing up last year, so it's definatly set in after or in 2005. And judging by BIS's updating of the soldiers from woodland and desert BDUs to ACU suggests that they are aiming for a time period true to reality. Also, the William Porter blog takes place in present time, so my best guess is 2006 or 2007 (depending on when ArmA is released, though 2007 would seem like a worst case scenario now).

Just like there weren't a lot of modified BIS addons released? Think about, BIS uses a decent M4 and then you have otherwise unexperienced modelers modifying the hell out of it with relative ease.

Quote[/b] ]The XM8 was dropped (not that the US military put any effort into it), but that's old news.

Sorry, I like guns but Im not a weapons-nerd so forgive me if Im not aware about every single decision US does....

Though, im very interested in why it was dropped by the US, u got an article? or maybe ill google it out myself...

Guest Ti0n3r

Of course there will be M4 addons. It was just silly joke...

Quote[/b] ]The XM8 was dropped (not that the US military put any effort into it), but that's old news.

Sorry, I like guns but Im not a weapons-nerd so forgive me if Im not aware about every single decision US does....

Though, im very interested in why it was dropped by the US, u got an article? or maybe ill google it out myself...

The same reason they dropped the commanche, OICW, land warrior, and other "future so and so" projects. Not enough motivation to spend the money in a so-called time of "peace."

I´ve heard that the future weapons projects didnt qualify in alot of areas, not advancing enough to start switching current hardware. One of the bigger problems was weight issues.

I think the M16/M4´s will be mainstay for another 10 years, a new rifle would have to excel in all repects, weight/lethality(ammo)/versatility/cost/reliability, one is just not good enough. All other "minor" us army weapon uppgrades like the Springfield 1861 > trapdoor system, M1 > M14 has been shortlived in service and probably much too costly.

na i knew the blog and read all those interviews scanned from mags all over the world n stuff....just missed the year but thx, and also for the other info rukh

what u mean with trapdoor system? EDIT: Forget, I know what it is 8)

Whats BDU and ACU's difference?

I searched pics and couldnt find a *real* difference, i think the bdu is more like a pattern while the acu is more "wild"

acu should be kinda "universal camo" right?

41.jpg

ACU pattern

woodland.jpg

Woodland BDU

3colorjacket.gif

Three-color desert BDU

BDU - Battle Dress Uniform

ACU - Army Combat Uniform

It's not just the camo.

The least they could do is go with HK's M4 design so that American soldiers aren't using a weapon that defecates where it eats.

there is just one thing i hope they do for arma.. and thats a better weapons managment system..

i dont want to have 300+ addons of the same gun that just has different things attached to it..

i was thinking of a system where you get a base weapon medel, and a set of parts you can add to it.

all parts should be interchangeable with some of them capable of working with other parts.

you can have just the base model of a weapon, and then have 10 or more parts that be interchanged.. thats 11 PBO files, wich would give you almost 100 differnt configs for that one weapon.

The same reason they dropped the commanche, OICW, land warrior, and other "future so and so" projects. Not enough motivation to spend the money in a so-called time of "peace."

No to hijack the thread but

THe XM8 was not dropped it was merely suspended.

There are alot of reasons why it was suspended one of them being with current competition procedures.

Another is the joint service deal, The Marines, Air Force, Navy and Army all want a piece of the pie but DoD has specifically ordered rifles for the Army.

Another is that A friend of mine told me about a year and half ago that the XM8 Failed winter trials

Another is the whole congressional thing, no money equals no rifle.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m8-oicw.htm

Scroll down to History.

Getting back on topic, ArmA is probably set in the near future, seeing the combination of M16's and M4's, ACU and BDU it probably is set within 2004-2005.

^

Quote[/b] ]near future... 2004-2005
?

we have 2006 already.

i also agree about the m4.  i'm an infantryman in the us army, and in just about every single light infantry unit, the m4 is standard issue, NOT the m16a4.  if you are mechanized infantry, you get the a4. in OSUT, (basic + infantry AIT) they even issue an aimpoint sight literally the day you qualifty with iron-sights. a variety of sights would be nice, but i'm not expecting much from BIS. i'm just hoping it won't lag.

No to hijack the thread but

THe XM8 was not dropped it was merely suspended.

More like an 'Indefinate Suspension' until they can find something better wink_o.gif

@Uziyahu--IDF: I think that the US Military has some big contract with Colt to provide them with M4s till about 2010. Thus while the HK416 is an improvement, they'll never use it in any serious numbers cause it is much cheaper to buy plain Colt M4s

exactly, all & all it's basically the same weapon. the m4 is doing the job, why get something else? i've seen the xm8 a few times at fort benning, i wouldn't dare put it in game because you won't see it in the infantry, much less fielded in the army for many years to come.