Sign in to follow this  
wildo

New ACU soldiers

Right ive decided after much debating to make some nice ACU soldiers (Not bashing the other ones released, but these are just for myself 'per se' as a mild project to stop me from being bored and unemployed)

So I need information from people on what the ACU entails,

ive got information from websites and such, but basically I need information in the form of peopel that use it, or have very good refereance pics of the ACU and MOLLE system (It IS the MOLLE webbing thing they are using or have I got the wrong end of the stick?)

Any help would be much appreciated.

I also intend to get the first working version of my animated hands into these soldiers with an entirely new custom animation set (But the animations will come after I have done animations for some mods/people that are waiting on some already)

I will post any development pictures I have ASAP.

Also some help and guidance on mapping and creating seamless textures would be MORE than greatly appreciated!

My MSN is wildo@wildo.co.uk if you can pass on any good information or you can email anything to williamlockwood@hotmail.co.uk

I will also make these troops 'well lod'd' seeing as people (As well as I) get niggled about badly lod'd troops

Also what are the best weapons available which could be used on the troops? (I.e. something to save me making the upteenth M4 or M16)

Wildo  smile_o.gif

//Edit//

Also where can I get a copy of Laumas newest heads?

Also where can I get a copy of Laumas newest heads?

Inside of the facestex2.pbo you can find the head.

the facestex2.pbo can be found here

It seems an updated version of that .pbo , from ag_smith released with the updated polish troops packs (but i don't know if that newer version of this pbo include the head)

you can find it there

But, i remember Offtime said something about adding some kind of selection to prevent some visual annoyance when inside of a vehicle, and i have no idea if the head available there include this selection.

good luck for your project

Why don't you make something which hasn't been done yet to "stop you from being bored and unemployed"?

It's not been a month since DLEM released some good quality ACU soldiers,

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/1011.jpg

Not only DLEM, but NUT has made some,

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/nutnut1.jpg

As has the FFUR Mod,

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/FFUR_9.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way, it's just a bit frustrating when there are so many versions of the same weapon/equipment to choose from...

Quote[/b] ]Don't take this the wrong way, it's just a bit frustrating when there are so many versions of the same weapon/equipment to choose from...

No no I understand people obviously dont liek the samething being made over and over again (Aka M4 syndrome)

Its just something id like to do, and what I make will obviously be entirely different to that of those which have already been made.

I can take peoples comments unlike some others tounge2.gif

Wildo

I would actually rather see a really good woodland soldier. Someone still has yet to make woodland U.S. textures on par with russian and ACU units except for FFUR, but they are still using the ol' HYK guys as a mesh.

I would actually rather see a really good woodland soldier. Someone still has yet to make woodland U.S. textures on par with russian and ACU units except for FFUR, but they are still using the ol' HYK guys as a mesh.

And what's wrong with HYK's? His textures are the best available woodland ones available IMO

<Takes a shovel to Shashmike's turntables>

Quiet! I really really really want more ACU troops.

Why?

HYK's are good, but now outdated. Plus textures on those units don't look so good, what with the spiky arms and whatnot. Plus the model is strange.

NUT's are better, but also outdated, using a (strange - far too thin) model and weird, bluish textures.

DLEM's are the best currently, having the best model, new heads, decent textures... but no LODS or garrison models, compounded with the fact that they are wearing USMC gear, and this is a very big no-no (to me anyway - no offence meant, DLEM).

Wildo, I'd love to help you out on this one. If you need a hand with beta-testing + photo-finding, drop me a PM. Also, I can handle Llauma's new heads pretty well, so if you have any problems there, I'm your man.

<Takes a shovel to Shashmike's turntables>

Quiet! I really really really want more ACU troops.

Why?

HYK's are good, but now outdated. Plus textures on those units don't look so good, what with the spiky arms and whatnot. Plus the model is strange.

NUT's are better, but also outdated, using a (strange - far too thin) model and weird, bluish textures.

DLEM's are the best currently, having the best model, new heads, decent textures... but no LODS or garrison models, compounded with the fact that they are wearing USMC gear, and this is a very big no-no (to me anyway - no offence meant, DLEM).

Wildo, I'd love to help you out on this one. If you need a hand with beta-testing + photo-finding, drop me a PM. Also, I can handle Llauma's new heads pretty well, so if you have any problems there, I'm your man.

OK...OK..........OK CamSexman

First off, I don't own my own decks yet sad_o.gif

Secondly... Bahahahah "turntables" tounge2.gifrofl.gif

On topic: I was referring to HYK's woodland BDU, not his ACU, and I don't see what's so strange about the models, they are actually the best available to date IMO. DLEM's has the new go-faster-with-knobs-attached head model, but I think HYK's body and textures are better.

You reckon? I think HYK's are too thin and look like the proverbial "teenager in pyjamas." If only there were a way to make all models look as chunky and kick-ass-TV-reporting-in-Iraq style (but without the old-style modelling) as CodeBlue units.

- This is what you are aiming for, is it not, Wildo?

Anyway, my first advice. Make multiple configs - one for SJB, one for LSR, one for JAM3 - that way, everyone's happy, and if necessary, I can do that for you (at the end).

Next, give them goggles that can move (please?).

Third, make IFV crewman and garrison models (with or without a cap or hat or beret - I can help you there as well).

Fourth, the MOLLE is a MODULAR system, therefore, units with a SAW should have different pouches to rifleman units, which should have different pouches to grenadiers, and so on. See DLEM's ACU and BMI's BlackOps - they have different pouch loadouts for each soldier class (especially BMI's units, which manage to only use one model!!!wink_o.gif

I'm sorry I can't help you out with any of the full-on modelling or texturing - I suck at that.

Oh, one more thing - if you're going to make Infantry, you may as well make Special Forces units too, all it requires is a different vest and different helmet + vest textures, I'm fairly sure.

For getting started with textures, hmm... I'd ask EricJ - he has a scanner and some ACU in his possession.

If it's not the partycrasher himself! ACU all the way. If anyone else wanted MultiCam, it'd be made by now.

It appears I know more than you know, cause nephilim used some multicam on the mercenaries (and she also likes the F2000 tounge2.gif ), but I want soldiers with multicam, and DLEM hasn't yet gotten around to his plan to do some.

Yeah, MultiCam would have been made by now. It is nice and all, but I see it as something fictional as of now until someone actually uses it. Correct me if I am wrong, but does anyone even use it?

Hey, I like the F2000 too. Why aren't you bothering DLEM then, if you want your MultiCam done? I'm fairly sure Wildo said he was doing ACU. 'Nuff said in this topic.

As for knowing more than I know, well, maybe only about MultiCam (and scripting, and most other OFP topics).

Agree with Marco. smile_o.gif

As for knowing more than I know, well, maybe only about MultiCam (and scripting, and most other OFP topics).

I'm thinking "I know something that you don't know" might have been more appropriate, but in anycase ACU is boring.

I saw some army guys wearing it today, sticks out pretty well.

Anyways, just out of curiosity, what are you going to do that hasn't already been done?

Multicam instead of another ACU thumbs-up.gif

And btw, you can only make soldier models so big or the anims wont work. whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]Anyways, just out of curiosity, what are you going to do that hasn't already been done?

Animated hands, lower than 6000 poly in first lod, new anims, 'anatomically correct soldiers' (Ahem)

whistle.gif

AND STOP RANTING ABOUT BLOODY MULTICAM!

AND FN2000!

multicam isnt being used now is it?

I though ACU was taking over?

If I get round to it ill make a few versions of modelled soldiers and then one of you buggers can slap some multicam on and keep yourselves happy? tounge2.gif

Wildo

And btw, you can only make soldier models so big or the anims wont work. whistle.gif

Yep....you definately have to watch out for that. crazy_o.gif

Abs

Yep....you definately have to watch out for that.  crazy_o.gif

Abs

The anims will work even if the unit is 40ft high, it will just look a tad... odd tounge2.gif

And expect some fun with animated hands....seeing as the first ones i made were like 600 poly each crazy_o.gif

Optimising now though to make more playable, but also nice and asthetic smile_o.gif

Ill begin work on the units, and Cameron thanks for the information biggrin_o.gif

Wildo

And what's wrong with HYK's? His textures are the best available woodland ones available IMO

You are right, and it doesn't exactly encourage addon makers that after a few months their addons are called "out dated" and people start demanding a new version of the exact same addon.

The textures on the HYK addons do not degrade over time, the models are still as good as they were the day they came out, they do not have less polys, and the accuracy has not decreased. So in my opinion, an addon does not "get worse" over time.

It wouldn't be so bad if people didn't say the same thing in every topic where HYK's addons are mentioned.

You are right, and it doesn't exactly encourage addon makers that after a few months their addons are called "out dated" and people start demanding a new version of the exact same addon.

The textures on the HYK addons do not degrade over time, the models are still as good as they were the day they came out, they do not have less polys, and the accuracy has not decreased. So in my opinion, an addon does not "get worse" over time.

It wouldn't be so bad if people didn't say the same thing in every topic where HYK's addons are mentioned.

Addons age like a vintage wine smile_o.gif

Pity I dont like wine crazy_o.gif

Addons news: I have created.....A BOOT! biggrin_o.gif

Did anyone want a pic of a boot? tounge2.gif

Wildo

dasboot6vk.jpg

If it looks abit odd, its at a funny angle  tounge2.gif

Animates perfectly aswell, and Nephilims teaching me weights and stuff to make if better aswell animations wise  biggrin_o.gif

Ill work on the leg later one and Ill post up another screen  smile_o.gif

Wildo

//EDIT//

Infact have a pic from OFPAnim showing it off aswell, shows it better than the previous pic  smile_o.gif

dasbootanim8ef.jpg