Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL OFP to ArmA

a good day for british news biggrin_o.gif

so, i'm assuming its configged as, ermmm, a free fall bomb, caught at a certain height and becomes a helicopter (assumption made because of the slight front dip the missile has, and the fact that you can flyinheight a chopper, not a plane)? - I'd have said boat, but there's no wake underneath the missile...

excellent bit of work fella... very impressive smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
a good day for british news  biggrin_o.gif

so, i'm assuming its configged as, ermmm, a free fall bomb, caught at a certain height and becomes a helicopter (assumption made because of the slight front dip the missile has, and the fact that you can flyinheight a chopper, not a plane)? - I'd have said boat, but there's no wake underneath the missile...

excellent bit of work fella... very impressive  smile_o.gif

erm no you're kinda wrong but partly right. The dip has nothing really to do with the flight model.

hmmmm biggrin_o.gif

looks very nice... I assume the flame/smoke trail (or whatever there would be) will be added later... or does it not appear in real life?

I should just add, this demonstrates the system in a very early stage of development.

Also, while SOW aren’t necessarily something new to OFP. This will pave the way, to more sophisticated systems, that aren't currently represented in OFP.

Guest RKSL-Rock
hmmmm  biggrin_o.gif

looks very nice... I assume the flame/smoke trail (or whatever there would be) will be added later... or does it not appear in real life?

Yeah it will be - you have to remeber this is purley a concept demo - the smoke trial is only really part of the boost phase - about 45-60 seconds on the Harpoon - on most modern missiles they are pretty much smokeless.  Althought you may well see the exhaust flames on some.

tis looking great... and the Nimrod is a fine piece of kit as well, so happy you showed it again smile_o.gif

Man that is really impressive... Plus that nimrod looks gorgeous inlove.gif Really great stuff keep it up biggrin_o.gif

WAAHAHA GREAT!

When I saw this topic and read what is was about I reaally wanted to blow the crap out of that particular ship with this! rofl.gif

I download the movie... crazy_o.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif !

Seriously cool addon, and the video is nice aswell! thumbs-up.gif

And is there a way to create like a proximity fuse, so it would look more like the explosion is on that side of the ship. So basicly it would explode like 0.5m before the ship. I know its not done offcourse! thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
And is there a way to create like a proximity fuse, so it would look more like the explosion is on that side of the ship. So basicly it would explode like 0.5m before the ship. I know its not done offcourse!  thumbs-up.gif

Not many ASM/SSM missiles work like that.  They are more like Tank shells that penetrate and then explode so there wouldnt be much point.

There is something similar planned for use with airburst munitions dispensors though.

Very smart work! The missile had feel of really slamming into the ship. The Nimrod looks cool too. smile_o.gif

Yeah, I ment the proximity fuse to make it look as if it would slam into the ship even more. Because now the explosion and OFP's physics kinda spoils it a bit... Just a little bit though, because its really great!

I knew about the way ASM work but I purely ment it for the visuals in OFP!

Great work, would love to see the Sea Eagle! smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Great work, would love to see the Sea Eagle!  smile_o.gif

PR-Nimrod-SeaEagle-1.jpg

Before anyone posts saying "Nimrods aren’t equipped with Sea Eagle".  I know.  We're using the Nimrod as a Testbed to prove out the scripts.

As for the Sea Eagle missile itself; it’s been retired from service in the late nineties I believe.  But it is still in use with several other countries to this day.  The upcoming RKSL Sea Harrier F/A-2 and FRS1 will both carry Sea Eagle in some form or another.

Will RKLS be using the latest "ACES" addon for your weapon systems or will you be making your own version ect?

Looking very nice btw

that nimrod... so pretty.... oh and the missiles too tounge2.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Will RKLS be using the latest "ACES" addon for your weapon systems or will you be making your own version ect?

In all honesty the few remaining RKSL releases for OFP probably wont use ACES.  While i like the concept its arrived too late in the Development for the harriers etc to be practical.  Partly due to the integration issues with our script work we've already done and partly due to time.

i have a question about your anti aircraft stuff....

will they contain a Bloodhound II system?

Bristol Bloodhound

i think i can see a couple of them in RKSL´s signature :P

Was wondering about the differences in mechanical stuff between the Sea Eagle and the Harpoon.

Am I right to assume that the Harpoon only has a rocket engine, and the Sea Eagle has a short stage rocket and afterwards a mini jet turbine engine??? Which would increase the range surely?

The Sea Eagle is like a small plane, great, those will look great under the Tornado's later on... huh.gifwink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

EDIT

Oow, another question just popped into my mind, about the Nimrod...

Will there be any features for ASW? Like something with sonar buoy's?

Long time ago in '93 I had a base visit to RAF Kinloss, where the Nimrods were based back then, dont know if they are still there. We had a very nice whole day event, with the tour taking us thrue the whole of the Nimrod Sqn, from the crew areas, to the flightline, to the repair facility, and also to a hangar where they were performing mid life updates and whatnot. Was a nice day, and well great to see all that kind of stuff up close. We also had a look inside a nimrod. Will you also make all the different crewstations? And will there also be AA weapons? Ive seen Nimrods carrying sidewinders for self defense, however I doubt it will help them much. confused_o.gif

Well, keep it up anyways! thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
i have a question about your anti aircraft stuff....

will they contain a Bloodhound II system?

Bristol Bloodhound

I think I can see a couple of them in RKSL´s signature :P

The Bloodhound is a bit too old for what i had in mind.  I think what you've assumed to be a Bloodhound in the sig banner is actually the SA-6/Kub missiles.

Was wondering about the differences in mechanical stuff between the Sea Eagle and the Harpoon.

Am I right to assume that the Harpoon only has a rocket engine, and the Sea Eagle has a short stage rocket and afterwards a mini jet turbine engine??? Which would increase the range surely?

The Sea Eagle is like a small plane, great, those will look great under the Tornado's later on...  huh.gif  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

The main difference is the engine and the weight.  You are right about the Harpoon but the Sea Eagle is powered by a paraffin-fuelled Microturbo TRI-60 turbojet.  It has no rocket boosters.  The engine is very efficient and the body of the missile is mostly GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) which makes it quite stealthy and very light relative to the size of its warhead.  Also the combination of the light construction and engine means that radar and infra tracking systems struggle to maintain a target lock.  This means that a small plane (eg Sea Harrier) can carry them over longer ranges and that the anti missile systems on ships struggle to shoot them down easily.

Oow, another question just popped into my mind, about the Nimrod...

Will there be any features for ASW? Like something with sonar buoy's?

Yes and No.  There are depth charges and sonar bouys in development.  The only problem is that to make them realistic and effective requires a dialog based control system.  Since neither UNN nor I have the time to develop one right now those features will be shelved until ArmA where it *should* be part of the Combined Warfare System we have planned.

The OFP release of the Nimrod will see 3 versions:

1) 9x Mk46 Torpedos

2) 6x Mk46 Torpedos & 6x Depth Charges

3) 4x AGM-84L Harpoons (Time permitting fully scripted SSM versions)

Will you also make all the different crewstations?
The crew stations would be interesting to see in the addon.

Well several people have asked this in the past and I gave the same answer.  For OFP there is little point.  It just adds more polys and textures to draw.  

Unless we came up with the dialog interface I really don’t see the point.  ArmA’s new engine may give us the ability to realistically simulate nimrod ops but for now we have better things to devote resources to.

I’m sorry if that disappoints anyone but I don’t see what adding the crew stations would add beyond the obvious eye candy.

And will there also be AA weapons? Ive seen Nimrods carrying sidewinders for self defense, however I doubt it will help them much. confused_o.gif

Again this has been asked in the past.  If you do a bit of research you’ll find out that the Nimrod MR1s used in the Falklands were hastily fitted with the capability to carry sidewinders.  But they weren’t fitted for self defence as is commonly assumed.  They were fitted in the hope of shooting down Argentine Spy planes encountered during the Nimrods patrols.  After the first few meetings – The Nimrods met up with Argentine Lear Jets and 707s quite a lot in the early days running up to the war but after an official warning by the UK government stating that any aircraft caught inside the Total Exclusion Zone would be shot down without warning. These ‘meetings’ ended quite quickly.

Ever since then the only Nimrods to carry Sidewinders operationally were the R.1 variants during operations over Iraq and the Balkans.  From my contacts at Kinloss and Waddington. I’m told that all the Nimrods still carry the capability and crews still do train to use the missile.  But it’s not a common practice and never really was.

So I supposed this leads to the question “Will we be releasing the R1?† Honestly I can’t see a reason to until the supporting scripts can make it useful.  If there is enough demand and someone can suggest a valid reason for it then I will.

Again, i'm sorry if this sounds a little hard faced but you have to rember there are only 2 people in the RKSL Team right now.  UNN and myself, we both have very full workloads and both have support commitments to other teams.  As much as we love doing what we do, we cant devote everyday to modding and the time we have left we've decided to use to finish the Harirer and Fire Control system projects.

Thanks for your support.

Quote[/b] ]I’m sorry if that disappoints anyone but I don’t see what adding the crew stations would add beyond the obvious eye candy.

Not a problem mate. Both of you please keep doing what you do.

Guest RKSL-Rock

OK very quick update:

Earlier this evening we had our first Multiplayer Test of the Harrier on a dedicated server.  After some minor tweaks to make it compatible with our Linux server I’m happy to announce that we now have a Fully VTOL & MP capable Harrier.

We had 3 Harriers flying from Everon's airfield for over an hour.  All 3 were able to hover, rotate, strafe and revert to conventional flight in the same way they do in SP.

There are still a number of things left to do before completion but these are relatively minor things. We're one step closer to a release so please bare with us.

Thanks

Rock & UNN ( & the new Beta Team)

Again this has been asked in the past. If you do a bit of research you’ll find out that the Nimrod MR1s used in the Falklands were hastily fitted with the capability to carry sidewinders. But they weren’t fitted for self defence as is commonly assumed. They were fitted in the hope of shooting down Argentine Spy planes encountered during the Nimrods patrols. After the first few meetings – The Nimrods met up with Argentine Lear Jets and 707s quite a lot in the early days running up to the war but after an official warning by the UK government stating that any aircraft caught inside the Total Exclusion Zone would be shot down without warning. These ‘meetings’ ended quite quickly.

wow_o.gifwow_o.gif Never knew that!

And great news about the harrier, Im also looking forward to that addon. Im looking forward to all the RKSL addons to be honest! thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif