Sign in to follow this  
Hona

Can someone translate this interview?

Hi, can someone translate these german interviews from http://armed-assault.de/. They are interviewing Placebo about Armed Assault and maybe there are some new information. Here they are:

http://ofpc.de/screenshots/184/21788.jpg

http://ofpc.de/screenshots/184/21790.jpg

It looks like Armed Assault will be released Q3 2006, that is the only thing I can figure out from the text on that page.

Edit: The release date isn't official.

Using a horrid Internet translation of the post, I get:

Sahrani? (Sarah?) is a fictional island but huge.

AI react to time of day and weather.

Command System is rearranged (not scripting commands.. the AI command interface).

Quarter 3 is speculation only.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]Sarah is a fictive island and does not exist IRL.
Quote[/b] ]The game is 75% done.

If Q3 release is speculation only, then it's equaly possible that the game will be released in Q3 or Q4, or even later, isn't it? crazy_o.gif

Interresting. Does it say in what way?

Using a horrid Internet translation of the post, I get:

Sahrani? (Sarah?) is a fictional island but huge.

Command System is rearranged (not scripting commands.. the AI command interface).

Quarter 3 is speculation only.

Man i love that! made my day...i know i can always count on somthing making me happy when i come home from a hard day at work.....

Translation provided by my most awesome of German housemates:

Quote[/b] ]In Armed Assault anything is possible

To get all the relevant information about Armed Assault, we turned to Paul "placebo" Statham, the PR- and Community-manager of the Prague Developer studio BIS.

PC Action: What does a typical mission in ArmA look like?

Placebo: A typical mission... Are you completely insane? There are no typical missions! Okay, at the beginning of the campaign the player and his squad mates are outnumbered and this theme applies: Watch for enemies, don’t get shot and help your team-mates! One can even find a hideout and wait till the danger passes. But when the first attack is survived, the player can obviously fight back to kick the enemy scum's butt!

PC: How important is teamwork? Is it possible to win a mission on your own?

P: In Armed Assault everything is possible! You can win a mission on your own, just as much as you can hit an enemy at 700 meters with your M16, it’s just damn hard, but not impossible. The biggest chance of success is playing the mission as part of a team, by issuing orders to your team-mates, thinking tactically and using the wide terrain to your advantage.

PC: 400km^2 is a big world. How do you want to prevent people in armed assault from getting lost?

P: Naturally one can easily get lost in such a large game-world and that’s a problem for us. When all technical aids fail, a soldier can still use his map and compass. What kind of soldier would you be if you couldn't even read a map?

PC: Armed Assault is going to be a very realistic game. Because of that there could even be bears and other animals in the darkness preying on the player, right?

P: It is true that there are a number of life forms in the game. However, they can only really cause damage if you accidentally shoot at a butterfly and the enemy hears it. It may be odd that a military game offers details like birds and insects, but the difference is unbelievable! One is travelling through a live world which is near reality. In previous games one could always shoot at moving shadows, because you knew it was an enemy. In ArmA it could simply be a bee or a falcon.

PC: How tragic is the loss of a comrade for later missions? Are there re-enforcements for lost soldiers? Or do you have to make do with fewer soldiers in later missions?

P: At the beginning of the campaign the player discovers that he has very few friends, although the enemy could be everywhere. Losing team-mates means that you are under more pressure until re-enforcements arrive. The less team-mates you have, the more thoroughly you should think about your tactics. We have a new feature called "Support Missions" This means that there are secondary goals in every mission. If you fulfil these missions in time the primary objectives become much easier. Thus every mission has a great influence on other missions. But the story is not presented as personally as in Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

PC: Which multiplayer modes can we look forward to?

P: The multiplayer modes should provide room for 60 players, who can all join the game after one another [JIP] Bots replace missing players so that massive battle with multiple goals can actually be played.

PC: What vehicles await us in ArmA?

P: ArmA contains a large collection of vehicles which are important for the campaign. There are all kinds of vehicles, from light un-armed civilian vehicles, to fast aggressive monsters in the sky, like the efficient SU-25.

PC: Will we find brothels in the cities in which we can take a break from war?

P: The Army Regulations state that a soldier has to polish his weapon during his spare time.

PC: What vehicles would you like to have in your garage at home? And what would you do with them?

P: I like the really big trucks, with which I can run over people who are constantly complaining that we take too long to release new games.

PC: You do take pretty long to release new games, right?

If Q3 release is speculation only, then it's equaly possible that the game will be released in Q3 or Q4, or even later, isn't it? crazy_o.gif

Or even Q2? tounge2.gif

Come on guys, this negative speculation helps nobody. Try and be optimistic.

Almost every time someone guess/speculates on an issue we get a bunch of people who misunderstand and take it as fact. Then we spend a few days trying to calm down a few hysterical whingers.

I dont understand the meaning of those `support missions`...

I just don`t want to have this <bonus goal thingy> in such game like: destroy AA possitions if you want to call for air support.

Sounds kinda arcadish to me...

In what is quickly becoming an Arma mantra - If you don't like it, don't use it!

Or even Q2? tounge2.gif

Almost every time someone guess/speculates on an issue we get a bunch of people who misunderstand and take it as fact. Then we spend a few days trying to calm down a few hysterical whingers.

Q2 sounds better. wink_o.gif I know there's no point in speculating about a release date, but what can I do, you know how I feel... smile_o.gif

I`m just expressing my concern about the part of the game that seems to be quite arcadish (edit: at this moment, I hope that`s obvious).

The pics posted there do not show the full interview, that's why you can't read everything in the interview what they posted in the news (for example "AI react to time of day and weather." and "Command System is rearranged (not scripting commands.. the AI command interface).").

Quote[/b] ]PC: What vehicles would you like to have in your garage at home? And what would you do with them?

P: I like the really big trucks, with which I can run over people who are constantly complaining that we take too long to release new games.

PC: You do take pretty long to release new games, right?

Aww look placebo does love us.

I dont understand the meaning of those `support missions`...

I just don`t want to have this <bonus goal thingy> in such game like: destroy AA possitions if you want to call for air support.

Sounds kinda arcadish to me...

Do you remember Return to Eden mission, where you had to destroy shilka in order to call air support (it wasn't obligatory, but then you had to deal with enemy armor yourself, which was very hard, if not impossible)? This is similar, i guess (hope). Of course, it doesn't only include air support. For instance, you have to attack some town and in the vicinity there's enemy base with lets say 3 T80's. If you don't destroy the base, you can take the town, but in the next mission, when enemy counterattacks, those three tanks you haven't destroyed are attacking you as well. Does this make any sence?

Hi OFP&ArmA-Fans,

In a German Gamer-Magazine (PCACTION) there is the first German-language interview with Placebo.

armapcaction1thumb_220406.jpgarmapcaction2thumb_220406.jpg

Scans and information get it on our ArmA > Fansite <.

> PCACTION < writes: publication-date for armed assault Q3/2006! We do not hope!

i think its sounds pretty logic to take out aa before calling airsupport in  thumbs-up.gif

It is pretty logic indeed, but is it logic to use just one (your) squad to fulfill a couple of completelly different tasks in one mission?

It isn`t quite realistic imho...

anyway I don`t want to be considered as a whinger, It`s to early to judge anything...

@vizir: Is this the article we were voting for?

You mean http://www.pcgames.de/?menu=110301&poll_id=50910&site_id=1 ? biggrin_o.gif

pcgames - pcaction

no, you see? wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Armed Assault 3.72%

CRYSIS 15.09%

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars 5.35%

Half-Life 2 Aftermath 11.82%

Prey 3.05%

Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent 11.97%

STALKER 15.17%

UT 2007 15.09%

Keiner von diesen (nobody) 6.32%

Mag keine Shooter (dont like shooter) 10.41%

Weiß nicht/Keine Angabe (no statement) 2.01%

1345 Teilnehmer

You mean http://www.pcgames.de/?menu=110301&poll_id=50910&site_id=1 ? biggrin_o.gif

pcgames - pcaction

no, you see? wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Armed Assault 3.72%

CRYSIS 15.09%

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars 5.35%

Half-Life 2 Aftermath 11.82%

Prey 3.05%

Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent 11.97%

STALKER 15.17%

UT 2007 15.09%

Keiner von diesen 6.32%

Mag keine Shooter 10.41%

Weiß nicht/Keine Angabe 2.01%

1345 Teilnehmer

thats an old poll toster. wink_o.gif

I hope we get the new poll next week. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] hope we get the new poll next week. smile_o.gif
a new chance for win? biggrin_o.gif belief I not

The people want perfect graphics: 110% maximum

shootings and graphics - shootings and graphics - shootings and graphics - shootings and graphics - shootings and graphics - shootings and graphics - high action - explosions - explosions - explosions

i think is a little OT. wink_o.gif

Let them have their shooting and graphics and the explosions and action the way they like it...i will play those games when i'm bored with OFP and ArmA, that means - never... wink_o.gif

"Support missions" might describe scenarios like getting a convoy of supplies to other troops who need it or offloading supplies into other vehicles or coming to the aid of a surrounded friendly unit.

Logistics is a big part of carrying out successful operations. You have to have food, water and ammunition to sustain fighting.

Or even Q2?  tounge2.gif

man you hit it on the dot.... i want to say that it is good that they are taking their time, i would like the game to be polished and good from the beginning, heh remember the ol' patch days?