Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

uprooting trees

there will be destructive buildings..

Confirmed for Game2, not for armed assault, i hope something like shown in that VBS1 video will be in though  confused_o.gif

we will have destructive bridges.. i think that indicates for dynamic building and also dynamic flora, why not? make sense...

we will have destructive bridges.. i think that indicates for dynamic building and also dynamic flora, why not? make sense...

Look at OFPE, there are those "Dynamic" destroyed bridges aswell, but not for the houses wink_o.gif

And AFAIK its not dynamic, just a nice animation (Someone else needs to confirm this though)

Quote[/b] ]we will have destructive bridges.. i think that indicates for dynamic building and also dynamic flora, why not? make sense...

There's a very big difference to have a few dynamically destroyable bridges (if they even really are that and not just smoke and mirrors) than to have each and every one of the millions of objects on the map dynamically destroyable. Söldner kind of has this feature and guess what, it lags like hell and people get disconnected when there's something like 40+ players on the same server but if you disable the destruction system... I quote Matthijs Beelen:

Quote[/b] ]Delete the destruction system or disable it and you can run with more then 64 players on a map. In the past we did a test with 134 players succes on fastlane with ADS disabled.

(ADS stands for advanced destruction system, it's not really that dynamic but you can like destroy houses part by part and deform land, uproot any tree etc)

i think its realistic for just about any tank to uproot a tree.

This business of uprooting trees in OFP is a little bit overdone in my opinion. Most armoured vehicles could bash their way through scrub and small plantations, but for something like a BMP or a M113 to topple a full-grown pine or mature oak tree just by driving forwards is simple fantasy!   tounge2.gif

A few inches of armour doesn't fair that well against a metre of wood firmly anchored into terra firma!

OK 70 tonnes of Abrahams, T80 or Challenger2 will get most trees down eventually but not simply by driving through them. The tree itself if say a full-grown oak or beech tree could easily weigh as much as the tank and it has the advantage of being firmly anchored down.

Also tanks are not bulldozers. A bulldozer has got a bucket that apart from levelling ground serves two other purposes. First it protects the machine from damage due to impact and collision with its prey. Secondly it serves as a means of getting itself unstuck should it get 'bellied out' on debris. I saw an old video a while back of a German Tiger tank bringing down a tall pine tree by climbing up onto it with one of its tracks, the root lifted up that side of the tank into the air, the tank then drove forwards over the trunk and got bellied out with one track spinning in the air and the other one unable to free the tank from the fallen tree!  biggrin_o.gif

I would like to see tree toppling in ArmA for most trees but it needs to be done realistically and any fallen tree should become an important additional hazard on the ground.  smile_o.gif

Armed Assault will come with a chainsaw so if your in a jeep and theres a fallen tree on a dirt track in a forest you will have to cut it up into pieces or start walking lol.

Armed Assault will come with a chainsaw so if your in a jeep and theres a fallen tree on a dirt track in a forest you will have to cut it up into pieces or start walking lol.

Your a bit slow there Ausie! .......

chainsaw.jpg

delerious.gif     biggrin_o.gif

Ya I know theres chainsaw mods for OFP, was just mentioning it for Armed Assault with the new fallen trees that can cause road blocks.

This business of uprooting trees in OFP is a little bit overdone in my opinion. Most armoured vehicles could bash their way through scrub and small plantations, but for something like a BMP or a M113 to topple a full-grown pine or mature oak tree just by driving forwards is simple fantasy!

that's exactly right. actually, pine trees have much softer wood, making them easier to break. and given that their profile is tall and slim, their roots are also fairly small, because pines usually grow in dense forests, and thus their roots generally adapt.

oak is a whole different story. oak wood is considerably denser, and very hard. their profile is also very wide. hell i don't think an abrams could uproot an adult 30 yr. old oak if it tried.

but anyway, this is going off topic. the only reason i raised this issue is out of BIS's announcement that forests will no longer be treated as single impassable units, but instead be made up of individual trees.

i just hope (as someone pointed out), that a group of abrams won't be able to just roll through a forests full of tall pines and oaks and just uproot them without any effort.

smile_o.gif

Actually I was tending to think that the ability of individually destructable trees enables things like daisy cutters to be dropped ahead of a helicopter landing in that area....

Most Massive Living Tree

The worlds most massive living tree is General Sherman the giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) growing in the Sequoia National Park, California, USA. It stands 83.82m (274.9 ft) tall, has a diameter of 11.1 m (36 ft 5 in) and a girth of 31.3 m (102 ft 0.5 in). The trunk has a volume of 1,487 mł (52,508 ftł). This tree is estimated to contain the equivalent of 606,100 board feet of timber, enough to make 5 billion matches, and its red-brown bark may be up to 61 cm (24 in) thick in parts. Its weight, including the root system, is estimated at 2000 tonnes (4,000,000 lb).

Its weight, including the root system, is estimated at 2000 tonnes (4,000,000 lb).

Yep! 70 tonnes of Abrams aint gonna have much effect on that one!  nah.gif   biggrin_o.gif   greedy.gif

The impression would be that the tree would have a heck of an effect on the abrams.

The impression would be that the tree would have a heck of an effect on the abrams.

...Not to mention the crew inside!  biggrin_o.gif

I've played OFP:e yesterday. And hitting a trees will slow you down and if you hit too many trees in a row you eventually come to a complete halt. Even in the bigger tanks smile_o.gif

I've played OFP:e yesterday. And hitting a trees will slow you down and if you hit too many trees in a row you eventually come to a complete halt. Even in the bigger tanks smile_o.gif

Do the uprooted trees in OFPE act as obstacles on the ground, or are they just ghosts like in OFP? Any fallen trees should become a serious hazard to tanks and other vehicles.  wink_o.gif

If a tree gets uprooted in the forest and there is no player around to hear it... does it make a sound? tounge2.gif

Yes cause if noone was around in the first place to directly uproot it then there was a huge explosion near it.

If a tree gets uprooted in the forest and there is no player around to hear it... does it make a sound?  tounge2.gif

Yes, because sound travels extremely far in OFP.

Quote[/b] ]Yes cause if noone was around in the first place to directly uproot it then there was a huge explosion near it.

Not always, not if you use setdammage (still makes the cracking noise). wink_o.gif

rofl.gif

From a programmers standpoint the answer should be "No, do know how many cycles that would waste?!?!" tounge2.gif