Sign in to follow this  
hotshotmike1001

grumman duck updating

Looks awesome! This is quite a nice addon that looks to have been updated quickly with a lot of new goodies. If you need a .30 Cal machinegun, why not see if Inv44 mod would lend you their old one from their demo?

Popping in on the asking about Inv44 tounge2.gif

ill see if I can find a mlod of our .30 cal lying about somewhere smile_o.gif

Wildo

Is the mg going to work? so told me that mgs on planes would work only on the front of the plane in ofp.

Hey hotshotmike, you may want to make several versions of this plane. One version with a machine gun, one version with a gun and bombs, and an unarmed version.

You gun looks great, btw. I hope we can get it animated.

About the plane floating, it looks like I might know how to do it, I'll have to experiment a bit, but I probably won't get a chance until later this week.

-Pilot

There are a few planes around that use floatation scripts, one of which is Capt. Moore's Cessna, Pappy Boyington's Cessna pack, and a Ju-52 Transport plane made by the AiA/WWIIEC team. You may want to take a look at those for some ideas smile_o.gif

Ju-52 Transport

Capt. Moore's Cessna

Pappy Boyington's Pack

Great job on the update by the way, it really does look more solid this time around. Keep up the good work!

i took out the back gun on the armed one and field mod two 30cals in the front though when i fire the rounds come from under the wing not front he gun flashes

fixedguns.jpg

I have been continuing work on the Duck.  I have been messing with trying to make the plane float, and it looks like I have been successful.  However, in order to make the duck float, I had to turn off retracting gear.  Don't worry, I re-added that ability through an action in the action menu, but the effect is just eye-candy, lowering or raising the gear won't have any effect on the flight model.  I am still ironing out a few bugs, but I hope to be ready to post a new version later today.  HotShotMike, I didn't continue from your latest version, I continued from what I posted, so my aircraft doesn't have the gun.  If everyone else like my float effect, I will add it to your version so we're all on the same page.

-Pilot

EDIT:

HotShotMike, you said earlier you changed the maxspeed? IIRC, speed measurements in OFP are done in km/h, so your maxspeed might be a bit low.

The Duck was primarily a spotting plane in its time with the US Navy, so a gun wasn't really high on the priority list anyway. Don't think I ever came across any being shot down in action in fact.

Nice to see you're still working on it, Student Pilot smile_o.gif.

Ok, here is my update.  The biggest change is the ability for this plane to float.  I have scripted it so that if you hit the water at an excessive downward vertical speed (roughly -10m/s) you will crash into the water and sink.  If you make a nice landing, the plane will glide along the surface of the water.  There are a few minor bugs, however.  The biggest one is occasionally the plane takes a slight amount of damage while taking off or landing.  The damage is never great, and it only happens at high speeds, so you should be safe taxiing.  Another minor bug is the dust.  Right now, the dust is brown.  I intend to write a script that will add wake much like you would see on OFP boats.  The final bug I am aware of has to do with the landing gear.  Right now, while the plane is in the water, it is possible to lower the landing gear.  The results are less than realistic.  In the future I want to script it so that it is not possible to lower the gear while in the water.

Download link:

See page 6 for latest version.

I'll see if I can get some pictures uploaded.

-Pilot

EDIT:

Sorry about the slow freewebs link, it's all I have. sad_o.gif

Thanks HotShotMike.

Notice to anyone who downloaded the plane after 5:20 eastern, I just discovered that the plane was jittery while on water.  I decreased the time of a loop in my floatation script to fix this.  It also fixed the problem with taking damage on takeoff.  I just re-uploaded the file, so if you downloaded before 5:20 eastern time you might want to re-download

-Pilot

EDIT:

Here are some pics:

Pic1

pic2

pic3

very nice job though little bit too high off the water would look better if it was lower to the ground when in water

ill try to ajust it alittle

Yeah, I'm starting to think so, too. It should be a simple matter of moving the float landcontact points up a little.

-Pilot

duckfixed.jpg

ok it works great now on takoff the back goes deep for a sec then comes out into a wave plane i added more armor so it can take off with out taking too much dammage

lets try to make a dammaged model so when it crashes will show like a wreck plane with wings broke and engine hanging plus have bent props

i found it kind of hard to get to the plane when its in the water we should add a walk area on the wings so players can walk on top of the lower wing to the plane!

walkingareaduck.jpg

Looks good.  Is there a chance you could adjust the geometry lod so that the back of the plane doesn't hit the water and take damage?

The idea for the wing is an interesting one, but I fear that it will be too difficult to accomplish, and I really don't even know how to accomplish it.

-Pilot

EDIT:

After looking at it, I think the plane might sit just a bit too low. I think the water should come to just below the tires, where the float is widest.

i try to make it so the front didnt hit and take dammage it takes off better now then befor it was front down hit take dammage lower the back and better