Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Those Imperial "super weapons" they have in every Star Wars book/game would kill them all.

97 posts until 2000

I forgot to mention a few more uses of transporters, as seen in starfleet command.

1. Beam a mine into space in the path of an approaching ship, close enough so that it cant avoid it.

2. Beam an anti-matter bomb onto an enemy ship. blast doors wont help against that. i can see it now...

'Whats this thing?' 'i dunno it just appeared' ::boom:: by-by expensive, massively crewed ship, before it could even get a shot off

Nah the Imperial super ships like that one that can destroy a galaxy (forgot its name) and those World Destroyer things would kill everything.

95 posts until 2000

'Nah the Imperial super ships like that one that can destroy a galaxy (forgot its name) and those World Destroyer things would kill everything.'

NO empire ship could destroy a galaxy... no offense but you obviously dont know wtf your talking about tounge.gif

If your reffering to the death star it destroyed planets, not galaxys, and besides it would be easily destroyed by a smaller ship because it wouldnt be able to bring its main weapon to bear. this is in one of my earlier posts.

A 'world destroyer' is something from rogue squadron, it was not used in space and therefore completely irrelavent.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nah the Imperial super ships like that one that can destroy a galaxy (forgot its name) and those World Destroyer things would kill everything.

95 posts until 2000<span id='postcolor'>

Destroy a Galaxy? As in an entire Galaxy? Yeah that seems likely...and the rebels won HOW? And people say Star Trek has holes in it. Star Wars takes place in a "galaxy far far away"...not galaxies but singular, thus the Empire is limited to one galaxy. Plus ISDs go on average light speed....they would NEVER be able to travel to another galaxy....SO one must conclude that if they destroyed a galaxy they would destroy themselves. Thus I find the exsistence of this weapon highly suspect. MAYBE a solar system...but most definitely NOT a whole galaxy.

World Destroyer? Are you talking of the Death Star cause that thing wouldn't stand a chance against Federation ship/fighters/weapons. Sure you could say it could destroy Earth (or insert other Fed world) but you have to GET it there first!

Another thing I noticed. Fighters and small ships in Star Wars can "pass through" the shields of larger ships (ie ISDs and the Death Star), something they CAN'T do in Star Trek...in fact they would "bounce" off the shields. So an ISD would have to get the shields of a ship down(assuming it somehow gets in range) before all its fighters can even be an effective weapon. Whereas Federation fighters will be strafing and destroying with impunity, due to the ISDs horrendously poorly designed point defense.

Not only fighters but converted shuttles as well....Wild Weasle (not really needed since the ISD have no "seeking" weapons), "suicide" shuttles (even more effective as it avoids point defense AND passes right through the shields), "scatterpack" shuttles (oh to see the look on ISD commander when his hideous point defense misses the shuttle, and then he watches it break open and a group of seeking missles head for him), and the standard assualt shuttle (not really needed as ISD shields are unlikely to stop transporters).

Not to mention the long ranges of torpedos, and quantum torpedos, and multi-phasic torpedos. "Say hello to my little friend..."

PS WHY ARE THE FORUMS SO GOD DAMN SLOW!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vir @ Jan. 30 2002,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I forgot to mention a few more uses of transporters, as seen in starfleet command.

1. Beam a mine into space in the path of an approaching ship, close enough so that it cant avoid it.

2. Beam an anti-matter bomb onto an enemy ship. blast doors wont help against that. i can see it now...

'Whats this thing?' 'i dunno it just appeared' ::boom:: by-by expensive, massively crewed ship, before it could even get a shot off<span id='postcolor'>

You cant transport anti-matter, its too unstable, otherwise they could just beam a warp core into a ship, or they wouldnt even bother with fireing torpedoes, they would just transport them into ships. The voyager people didnt quite understand this and broke the rules several times.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

WHO THE HELL WOULD BUILD A 17KM SHIP??? Whats the point??<span id='postcolor'>

The only real point would be if you planned on going on a deep space mission or journey knowing you would never see earth again...

Shit has anyone played star trek armada 2?...well if you have you know there is alittle thing called a tactical fusion cube...which is 8 "tactical" cubes together.....that thing would make em have one bad day.. biggrin.gif

The borg would still assimilate both....because fuck they have hundreds of specie's knowledge....I mean think about it the experience of everything of a race has ever done mixed with hundreds would make you come up with some bad ass shit....the borg should be way more radical then they are on the show......

The Borg have done Warp 10 and faster while travelling through their artifically created wormholes.

As for transporting Anti-Matter.. it is possible, it just is unstable. There is an episode of Star-trek where terrorists steal anti-matter from the Enterprises core when it is empty of crew and being cleaned of ion radiation. They transport onto their ship.. which later blows up because Picard removed the safety device from the container.

Star Trek would kick ass over Star Wars ships and technology.. but then really.. Star Trek is set in the future of Earth.. Star wars in a galaxy far away, and a long time ago.. hence they can't really be compared.

"We are the Borg, we have analysed your technology to be that of A galaxy far away, from a long time ago. We do not assimilate beings such as you, you would drag us away from perfection"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Jan. 29 2002,17:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I forgot to mention a few more uses of transporters, as seen in starfleet command.

'Whats this thing?' 'i dunno it just appeared' ::boom:: by-by expensive, massively crewed ship, before it could even get a shot off<span id='postcolor'>

You cant transport anti-matter, its too unstable, otherwise they could just beam a warp core into a ship, or they wouldnt even bother with fireing torpedoes, they would just transport them into ships. The voyager people didnt quite understand this and broke the rules several times.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

The voyager people didnt quite understand this and broke the rules several times.<span id='postcolor'>

What do you mean?..I remember in one episode only they transported a torpedo into a borg ship and blew the whole thing up......

But yeah your right it's unstable...that's why in real life we are only now building a containment for antimatter.....so yeah it's breaking the rules because as I'm sure you guys know photon torpedo's have matter and antimatter in them and right before it hits it's target it mixes them which when matter and anti matter collide it cause's a massive burst of energy.....(real science not fake)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Jan. 29 2002,17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its 8 of any type of cube actually, and the earth reason isnt a good, one, because in star wars, there isnt any earth.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh I didn't know it works with both types...I thought you had to have all of one type...

Yeah I know there is no earth in star wars.....it was a flaw way of saying it...should have said you will never see your home world again.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Frizbee @ Jan. 29 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Borg have done Warp 10 and faster while travelling through their artifically created wormholes.

As for transporting Anti-Matter.. it is possible, it just is unstable. There is an episode of Star-trek where terrorists steal anti-matter from the Enterprises core when it is empty of crew and being cleaned of ion radiation. They transport onto their ship.. which later blows up because Picard removed the safety device from the container.

Star Trek would kick ass over Star Wars ships and technology.. but then really.. Star Trek is set in the future of Earth.. Star wars in a galaxy far away, and a long time ago.. hence they can't really be compared.

"We are the Borg, we have analysed your technology to be that of A galaxy far away, from a long time ago. We do not assimilate beings such as you, you would drag us away from perfection"<span id='postcolor'>

The Borg have done Warp 10 and faster while traveling through their artificially created wormholes

<span id='postcolor'>

On an episode of Voyager Tom went warp 10 and it fucked him up....warp 10 is the warp barrier...

What the borg do is very different...they are not worm holes but kinda like it.....

When you think about it this whole discussion is pretty dumb. It's like an argument on who could defeat who, the Ancient Egyptians, or Modern USA. Because as everyone knows Star Wars was set A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... and the Star Trek Enterprise is set a few hundred years from now

biggrin.gif

shuudup! biggrin.gif let us argue!!

The borg dont actually go at warp 10, they go at the speed warp 10 would be, but without using a warp drive. They use a transwarp system, which the federation trialed, but found too costly to keep running.

What i meant by the anti-matter rule, is in all of star trek, youve never been able to transport antimatter, because it was too unstable, but the storywriters thought it would be good to change the rules of the show, as to suit the storylines.

C'mon...dont try to stop the most pathetic discussion ever! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another thing I noticed. Fighters and small ships in Star Wars can "pass through" the shields of larger ships (ie ISDs and the Death Star), something they CAN'T do in Star Trek...in fact they would "bounce" off the shields. So an ISD would have to get the shields of a ship down(assuming it somehow gets in range) before all its fighters can even be an effective weapon. Whereas Federation fighters will be strafing and destroying with impunity, due to the ISDs horrendously poorly designed point defense.<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, now THAT is bullshit. The SW shields are just as impregnable as the ST shields. Are you referring to the A-Wing that crashed into the SSD's bridge? That was possible because the SSD's bridge shields had been taken out only moments before that happened.

Why did that huge Imp fleet suddenly get spanked by a much much smaller Rebel force? Easy:

The Emperor controlled the minds most of his forces. He used The Force to steer all his troops in combat, resulting in a much more coordinated battlefield. Now near the end of RotJ, the Emperor isnt minding his troops anymore, but is busy trying to sway Luke to the Dark Side. When the troops suddenly lost 'contact' with the Emperor, they became disorientated, lost, they didnt know what to do (this happens in some of the battles in some SW books aswell). When later on the Emperor got killed by Vader, the suddenly was a huge void in the Imperial order, which the Rebels wisely exploided.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nah the Imperial super ships like that one that can destroy a galaxy (forgot its name) and those World Destroyer things would kill everything.<span id='postcolor'>

Damage is referring to the Star Crusher. A ship that uses a special type of torpedo to destabilise (sp?) a star's core, resulting in the destruction of that star and it's surrounding system (not galaxy).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In X-Wing (old starwars game) laser ranges were less than 2km. In Starfleet Command (star trek game) weapon ranges are more than 100000km. So federation would destroy empire's fighters from 50000km range and empire couldn't even fire their weapons.<span id='postcolor'>

Comparing the weapons characteristics of the SW games to the ST movies/series is just plain dumb.

What's the ingame range of the weapons in a ST game? (so not the stats)

Get my point? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont remember capital ships having ion cannons, and i just discounted fighters.<span id='postcolor'>

Trust me...caps have Ion cannons alright.

You mention the accuracy of the phasers on the Ent. D... Accuracy on what kinda targets? Moving at what speed? Dont forget that SW fighters are much smaller and more manouvreable than any ship I know from the ST universe. Besides, these fighters have shields of their own, they can take quite a punch, so dont expect em to be down in 1 punch.

As for the 'beaming in' of personnel and stuff....well, that part is kinda what made me dislike the whole ST thing. Most SW weapons/items have clearly defined limits and disadvantages. Same goes for alot of ST stuff, BUT...then there's the art of teleporting. Transferring matter from one place to another, not knowing what the 'destination' might look like. Still, they always seem to know exactly where the bridge or engineroom on a ship from a whole new alien ras might be located, whether the climate control is comparable to their own.

And like some1 else said before, they often do stuff with those teleporters that make you think "Hmmm...now if they did that every time they encountered a dangerous enemy, the series would be over in no-time."

If stuff like "teleporting a bomb to the enemy ship", "zap their engine to outerspace", or "beam a whole frickin' minefield around their arses" are THAT effective, why do they only use it like one time in a 1000 years? Do these Fed guys have no neural brain capacity at all?

And 2 more things:

- XwA = X-Wing Alliance....one of the last good LucasArts games (havent tried RS2 yet tho..)

- SSD class ships are only made to impress the enemy and make em feel reeealy tiny, taking away their last bit of will to fight back smile.gif It's a command ship, usually not found on the front line (except for 'special occasions' like in RotJ).

"You have failed me for the last time, admiral Ozzel!"

And World Destroyer is the ship that the Empire had in that one crapass comic (well actually there were many of them).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sith @ Jan. 30 2002,13:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">C'mon...dont try to stop the most pathetic discussion ever! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another thing I noticed. Fighters and small ships in Star Wars can "pass through" the shields of larger ships (ie ISDs and the Death Star), something they CAN'T do in Star Trek...in fact they would "bounce" off the shields. So an ISD would have to get the shields of a ship down(assuming it somehow gets in range) before all its fighters can even be an effective weapon. Whereas Federation fighters will be strafing and destroying with impunity, due to the ISDs horrendously poorly designed point defense.<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, now THAT is bullshit. The SW shields are just as impregnable as the ST shields. Are you referring to the A-Wing that crashed into the SSD's bridge? That was possible because the SSD's bridge shields had been taken out only moments before that happened.

Why did that huge Imp fleet suddenly get spanked by a much much smaller Rebel force? Easy:

The Emperor controlled the minds most of his forces. He used The Force to steer all his troops in combat, resulting in a much more coordinated battlefield. Now near the end of RotJ, the Emperor isnt minding his troops anymore, but is busy trying to sway Luke to the Dark Side. When the troops suddenly lost 'contact' with the Emperor, they became disorientated, lost, they didnt know what to do (this happens in some of the battles in some SW books aswell). When later on the Emperor got killed by Vader, the suddenly was a huge void in the Imperial order, which the Rebels wisely exploided.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nah the Imperial super ships like that one that can destroy a galaxy (forgot its name) and those World Destroyer things would kill everything.<span id='postcolor'>

Damage is referring to the Star Crusher. A ship that uses a special type of torpedo to destabilise (sp?) a star's core, resulting in the destruction of that star and it's surrounding system (not galaxy).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In X-Wing (old starwars game) laser ranges were less than 2km. In Starfleet Command (star trek game) weapon ranges are more than 100000km. So federation would destroy empire's fighters from 50000km range and empire couldn't even fire their weapons.<span id='postcolor'>

Comparing the weapons characteristics of the SW games to the ST movies/series is just plain dumb.

What's the ingame range of the weapons in a ST game? (so not the stats)

Get my point? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont remember capital ships having ion cannons, and i just discounted fighters.<span id='postcolor'>

Trust me...caps have Ion cannons alright.

You mention the accuracy of the phasers on the Ent. D... Accuracy on what kinda targets? Moving at what speed? Dont forget that SW fighters are much smaller and more manouvreable than any ship I know from the ST universe. Besides, these fighters have shields of their own, they can take quite a punch, so dont expect em to be down in 1 punch.

As for the 'beaming in' of personnel and stuff....well, that part is kinda what made me dislike the whole ST thing. Most SW weapons/items have clearly defined limits and disadvantages. Same goes for alot of ST stuff, BUT...then there's the art of teleporting. Transferring matter from one place to another, not knowing what the 'destination' might look like. Still, they always seem to know exactly where the bridge or engineroom on a ship from a whole new alien ras might be located, whether the climate control is comparable to their own.

And like some1 else said before, they often do stuff with those teleporters that make you think "Hmmm...now if they did that every time they encountered a dangerous enemy, the series would be over in no-time."

If stuff like "teleporting a bomb to the enemy ship", "zap their engine to outerspace", or "beam a whole frickin' minefield around their arses" are THAT effective, why do they only use it like one time in a 1000 years? Do these Fed guys have no neural brain capacity at all?

And 2 more things:

- XwA = X-Wing Alliance....one of the last good LucasArts games (havent tried RS2 yet tho..)

- SSD class ships are only made to impress the enemy and make em feel reeealy tiny, taking away their last bit of will to fight back smile.gif It's a command ship, usually not found on the front line (except for 'special occasions' like in RotJ).

"You have failed me for the last time, admiral Ozzel!"<span id='postcolor'>

"Make way for the dorks!"

When refering to fighters passing through shields I was refering A-to the attack on both Death Stars (yes I know one was under-construction but the Emperor said it was "fully operational")...fat boy says something about them passing through their shielding when and all they get is a little turbulence...and B- In every movie fighters can be seen strafing the hulls of ISDs with visible damage on the primary hulls. THAT is getting through the shields. And if teh shields were taken out on everyone of those ISDs then their shields aren't that impressive in the first place. I saw somewhere that the two big round things on top of the main superstructure are the shield generators, or projectors or whatever. In ROTJ you see ONE fighter (we will ASSUME for the sake of argument more fighters had strafed it)taking one out with the other clearly visible on the other side un-damaged (shortly before the mentioned A-Wing went kamikaze on them forcing the ship out of the line). How can fighters take that out? Capital ships had yet to engage in the main battle, it was just fighters, so how did the shields get down for a fighter to take that out? And why would he NEED to if the shields were already out. Again...either Rebel fighter are far more powerful than led to believe (the can take out an ISD after all), or an ISDs shields are pathetically under powered. Again...no match for Star Trek...hehe

The Emperor was controlling the troops? Ok in ROTJ I can believe that, but he can't be controlling ALL of them ALL the time. Distracted by turning Luke? He can control an entire fleet, but with a little distraction like Luke everything goes to hell? Maybe the Emperor needs some Ginko Boloba.

"Star Crusher"? Weren't you saying something about weapons that had clearly defined limits and disadvantages? The "Star Crusher" is not a good example...if I remember it took a hit from a Death Star or something and survived. Didn't it also go into a black hole and survive? Lemme know what the disadvantages of that ship are.

Transporters have a number of disadvantages and limitations as well as advantages. You do have to be fairly close to the destination. They can't beam through shields and you have to lower your shields to beam something out leaving you open for attack. You can't beam a warpcore out or to another ships do to the stasis fields it generates, not to mention the size (why the have the Emergency Warp Core dump system). Knowing the location and atmosphere of where they are going is easy. They are called Sensors. They can tell where the bridge or engineroom is by power output and command and control. You see something on the sensors that is putting out warpcore high power output...chances are THATS engineering. Sensors also can tell life forms, atmospheric conditions and elements, and even dimensions of a room (one time Kirk was told to lean down cause the ceiling was too low). The same thing goes for teleporting bombs...you have to be in range of where you want to drop it, and you have to drop a shield to beam it out. There is little call for these tactics because in the TV shows we haven't seen that many large engagements of capital ships. It seems Star Wars has the problem with uber-weapons...the Death Star being just one example...a 17km long ship being another.

As for the fighters. Yes the Ent-D (hereafter just called Galaxy-class do to the D being a heap of rubble now), can hit fighters and fighter-sized vessels with their phasers (as witnessed in a few shows), whereas in movies the ISDs lack of point defense is CLEARLY illustrated. Their main point defense though is lower powered phasers and a system not unlike todays Phalanx system (throw a lot of stuff really fast and you HAVE to hit something). Fighters having shields is good, since the ST fighters do as well as well as what they call PFs (Psuedo-Fighters). Fed fighters are just as powerful as SW fighters maybe more so (they carry basically the same TYPE of weaponary as capital ships...but not in the same numbers obviously).

I think that is all I wanted to say for now...can't remember sad.gif Coffee ain't kicked in yet...

The Star Crusher was never hit by the Death Star. It didn't even exist at the time of either of the Death Stars.

Designation: Imperial SuperWeapon Prototype:Sun Crusher

Manufacturer: Maw Installation

Length: 4 meters

Height: 5-7 meters

Crew: 2 (pilot & targeting officer)

Gunners: 4

Passengers: none

Consumables: unknown

Cargo Capacity: none

Hyperdrive: Sinar Systems x1

Maximum Speed: unknown

Atmospheric Speed: not applicable

Hull: Layered Molecular Armour "Quantum-Crystalline"

Shields:virtually impervious to laser fire

Onboard Craft:

none

Weapons:

4 laser turrets

11 resonance torpedoes

The Sun Crusher was more of an experimental weapon than anything else. Only one was ever produced, and it

was as deadly as a Death Star, despite only being the size of a starfighter. It flies in a upright position, with the

cockpit at the top, and a torpedo-firing dish at the bottom. Its resonance torpedos can cause stars to go

supernova, causing all surrounding worlds to be destroyed. The tiny superweapon cost as much to build as the

Death Star superlaser, and took over 10 years of research to create. Han Solo had been imprisoned at the Maw

facility, and had met the Sun Crushers creator and convinced her of the weapons evil. She, Solo, Chewbacca and

Kyp Durron stole the Sun Crusher. They delivered it to Coruscant (under New Republic control). The New

Republic assembly voted to have the Sun Crusher cast down into the gas giant Yavin. However, Kyp kidnapped

the ship and went on a rampage, destroying several Imperial worlds. He later returned to the Maw Installation

with the Sun Crusher, and lured the prototype Death Star into a black hole. The Sun Crusher and the Death

Star were destroyed, but Kyp Durron was later picked up by the Millennium Falcon having left the Sun Crusher

before it entered the black hole.

The information I got on teh Sun Crusher. So it was around with a Death Star. Also it said it was "nicked" by a Super Laser and was unscratched.

Sounds like a ridiculous uber-weapon to me...

OK now I remember that there was an experimental Death Star in the book and it was in some installation in the middle of black holes and they didn't know the Empire didn't exist anymore (the book's events took place after RoTJ). The Sun Crusher truly was a stupid weapon but the book sucked anyway because the main idea was that the Empire had a new super weapon (like always) but the New Republic (the Rebels) managed to destroy it.

Thats my main problem with Star Wars....the Empire always designs or builds some great Super Weapon and the Rebels roll up and destroy it somewhat easily.

One thing they have in common though...they each have people destroying what we love about them (Lucas and Berman/Braga to be exact).

And the first Death Star didn't have shields, the second one had but the generator was destroyed.

Indeed...the Deathstars never had any shields of their own. The shield in RotJ was a projected force field from the moon's surface.

I agree the suncrusher is a lousy piece of equipment...tho they do try to explain it's properties a bit in the book (engineered atom placement to form an unbreakable surface, and stuff like external weapons are easily destroyed), it's way too far-fetched IMO. Same goes for the story of those books.

The Heir To The Empire trilogy (Timothy Zahn) are IMO the only books that put down a credible story... character, technology and combat -wise. I think they even beat the movies at times.

Anyway....back to the dork discussion wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Emperor was controlling the troops? Ok in ROTJ I can believe that, but he can't be controlling ALL of them ALL the time. Distracted by turning Luke? He can control an entire fleet, but with a little distraction like Luke everything goes to hell? Maybe the Emperor needs some Ginko Boloba.

<span id='postcolor'>

He really did mind-control most, if not all, of his troops (is explained later in the books). If there's one thing the Emperor wants most, it's control.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">whereas in movies the ISDs lack of point defense is CLEARLY illustrated.<span id='postcolor'>

But that's also one of the main points where ST and SW differ from eachother. In ST, they usually engage in combat situations with just 1 type of craft, able to perform a wide variety of roles. In the SW universe, there's an extensive armade of ship classes, each with specific tasks. It's a shame it isnt featured in the movies (because the ship designs were in place at the time), because it certainly is one of the best parts of the whole SW universe. You have the ISDs...heavy hitters which serve as the main assault platforms. They can carry up to 6 fighter/bomber squadrons and several regiments of ground troops (inclusing AT-AT and AT-ST's). The ISD was never meant as an anti-fighter platform, hence it's (relatively) vulnerable to fighters.

There are several ways the Empire would counter fighters....like the use of Tie Interceptors, Nebulon B or Lancer Frigates.

So the 'beaming in' of personnel and/or weapons would require the Imps to take down their shields first? I'm sure they'll do it as long as Picard asks nicely wink.gif

Anyway...you gotta agree, the SW ships simply look much cooler. There, I win! wink.gif

It really is a pointless discussion because of course the borg would win against all....and the federation would beat star wars.....and I don't talk about what they have and haven't done in the show I'm talking about what this technology would mean in real life......

Like in armada 2...species 8472 is actually beatable...no modified borg nanaprobes just plain weapons and they die....if you have seen the show you know that if you see even one of their ships you better run your ass off....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Jan. 30 2002,17:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Emperor was controlling the troops? Ok in ROTJ I can believe that, but he can't be controlling ALL of them ALL the time. Distracted by turning Luke? He can control an entire fleet, but with a little distraction like Luke everything goes to hell? Maybe the Emperor needs some Ginko Boloba.<span id='postcolor'>

Have you ever tried to play Homeworld and have a meaningful intelligent conversation at the same time. biggrin.gif