Sign in to follow this  
berghoff

Talvisota (Winter War) Campaign

I made a little mini-campaign (Actually It is my first campaign I made for OFP, only made 5 other sp-missions for ofp) for FDF 1.4 WW2. It contains 10 mission and some cutscenes.

Readme:

Quote[/b] ]

*** - Talvisota Mini-campaign - ***

*** - For OFP: R v1.96 ONLY - ***

---

Author: Berghoff

---

---

As there are prolly some bugs in the campaign because I'm not an expert in mission editing:

Contact (bugs/suggestions): fdfmod forum or bis forum

---

Version: 1.00 rc1

changelog:

Realism:

- removed: most tank in the campaign only some execption in first invasion

- changed: the panzerfausts into molotov cocktails and at mines

- changed: all weapons to Nagants and Suomis for rifles

Difficulty:

- only limited ammo in most missions

- more enemies in missions

Bugs:

- fix some mission bugs

---

Installation: Put the .pbo in your ofp/campaign dir.

---

Features:

-10 sp-missions for FDF mod 1.4 with some cutscenes

© 2002-2005 Berghoff

Current version: 1.00 rc1

Let me know if you find some bugs so I can squash em:)

--> Download <--

Hosted by: OFPcenter.de

talvisota6s.jpg

talvisota2s.jpg

well I've played the first 2 missions and I got to say. Wow.

In the 2nd one I killed by skiing into a rock the commander and still compleated the mission huh.gif

The one scarry bit was when in the 1st mission when sking the music suddenly starts with the load noise, made me jump and skip a couple of heart beats.

"Winter War" is one of my favorite war movies, excellent to see a campaign pick up the theme (and of course excellent that the FDF made 2WW units in the first place). If you remotly followed the movie plot, then this will be a couple of hard missions, since the fins have been fighting with the "back at the wall" through the whole movie/conflict. I believe that the movie is not exaggerated, and shows how dirty and desperate the "Winter War" was.

Thank you, looking forward to play this mini-campaign. smile_o.gif

To bad to hear, but I can strongly recommend it. Very interesting footage of a not very well known part of the 2.WW.

It could serve as inspiration for many missions, most of them involve mass attacks by the russians. And desperate trench fights against tanks with molotow cocktails and wooden logs. Your weapon selection reflected it quite well, so I thought you knew the movie. wink_o.gif

"Winter War" is one of my favorite war movies, excellent to see a campaign pick up the theme (and of course excellent that the FDF made 2WW units in the first place). If you remotly followed the movie plot, then this will be a couple of hard missions, since the fins have been fighting with the "back at the wall" through the whole movie/conflict. I believe that the movie is not exaggerated, and shows how dirty and desperate the "Winter War" was.

I've never seen this movie sadly enough. sad_o.gif

I started the campaign, and I already like the skiing bit in the first mission!

I am stuck in the mission where you raid Soviet kitchens in two small islands.

By the time i get to the second island all my men get massacred and i alone have to face a horde of Soviets and a tank crazy_o.gif

Really? I didn't even see the tank on that level, none of my team destroyed it either, but the mission still ended once I destroyed the kitchens.

Rescue

With what means do you destroy the AA gun? I got a 1 Kg stick, but it doesn't manage to destroy the gun so I am stuck.

Oh btw, I sneaked up really close to the POW camp and the POWS joined me before I killed the guards. For the rest, everything is fine and smooth, not too hard but then you get the see the new environments very well.

Quote[/b] ]Really? I didn't even see the tank on that level, none of my team destroyed it either, but the mission still ended once I destroyed the kitchens.
You discovered a tiny bug. I forgot to edit the briefing for that mission. For realism I removed the tank in that mission.
Quote[/b] ]With what means do you destroy the AA gun? I got a 1 Kg stick, but it doesn't manage to destroy the gun so I am stuck.
There are some molotovs around. Takes awhile before they are destroyed =).

Love the atmosphere and the missions. On Rescue i have collected 3 POW's, cleared the village, and destroyed 3 atg's but the mission won't end.

In briefing it shows check marks on atg's and village cleared but not on rescued pow and move to forrest. Which i did both of. Not sure what's wrong? crazy_o.gif

you first need to go to the waypoint outside the village with the POWS, there you are assigned to a team that attacks the ATG's

I am wondering does this campaign say something about the estonians who escaped in finland and joined the army?

If I recall correctly there were no Estonian volunteers in Winter War (since their government did not allow volunteers to join up), but there was entire regiment of Estonians in Continuation War (JR200) 1943-44, around 3500 men. 10% of Finnish Navy personnel were Estonians in latter part of the war.

I like the campaign so far, even though it's a bit on the "rambo" side - i.e. killing several dozen enemies per mission seems to be the norm, and the short engagement ranges (generally < 100m) make the SMGs very powerful (in POW rescue I ended up clearing the entire village by myself before rescuing anyone)..

The atmosphere is great, though (even with the historical inaccuracies such as the Ppsh41-toting Russian snow camo troops), very bitter and unforgiving, just how I imagine this war.

However, atm I appear to be stuck in "Ice King" - after killing the assaulting Russians, nothing happens, i.e. the "defend the line" objective isn't completed and I get no new orders...

I've tried to rambo the trucks as well, but even armed to the teeth (DP27 + L35 pistol as backup) I've not yet managed to take out all the Russians guarding the trucks, and I don't think doing it all by myself is how it's supposed to be done...

Edit: I've completed objective 2 and 3 now, took me a few tries to take down all the Russians at the camp, but in the end I managed... I suppose some lucky Russian survived the attack at the beginning of the mission, but I haven't been able to track him down, and I've spent like 30 minutes now running around the map at 4x speed.

I just might have to cheat myself on to the next mission, I fear... :/

Yea you need to eliminate all enemies before making your advance in that mission. Ofcourse I can perhaps tweak so you'll only have to hold of 90% or so.

It's not killing them that is the problem, it's finding them once they start running away... and there's very little one can do to prevent that - I know that none got away at the part of the line I was holding, but on my right, there's just the AI troops, and I can't possibly be in two places at once...

Anyways, after another hour spent in futile attempts searching for the last surviving Russian soldier, I cheated my way on to the next mission... and was rather disappointed, as it was pretty much exactly like the earlier "ambush the trucks" mission... maybe you should spice it up a bit, add a twist to it (you mention tanks in the description, so why not use one -have the player hide to let the tank + accompanying inf pass, and then strike at the trucks following them... or perhaps have some more infantry move to intercept the player on the way to the hiding spot, which he can either evade or has to fight, based on how quickly he could deal with the trucks...)