Sign in to follow this  
fer

New MP Mission (beta) - 9v9 PLA Montignac

<span style='color:red'>Version 0-5 is now ready, get it at:</span>

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/index.php?page=PLA_Montignac

Some HIGHLIGHT changes:

<span style='color:red'>- Helmet Cameras (allowing CO to see what his squads see).</span>

- No more floating vehicles wink_o.gif

- Markers have shorter names.

- Unit model definitions moved into seperate file for really fast modding of the mission.

Enjoy!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

@ Q: The WGL5 conversion of version 0-5 is now complete and available from:

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/index.p....variant

Just played it alone against the AI, acting as CO of the defending platoon, and I think it is really starting to shape up.

The Helmet Cam certainly adds to the tension, although I find the script's execution is a little flakey. I am torn between making / finding a more robust version, or keeping this because in real life communications equipment is rarely perfect. Any thoughts?

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

PS Would there be any point in doing other WGL variants (using USMC vs Russian SF etc.), or do you mostly play with the basic models?

excellent mission..especially being able to play as a single player aswell wink_o.gif

i'm up for as many addon variations you can throw at us

i'd also like to see this on a slightly larger scale with armour and maybe mortar support

i dont know how hard it would be to implement but maybe a choice of different locations would be a good idea for a future version ?

i'm up for as many addon variations you can throw at us

@ wheres my rabbit?: The Project UK Forces conversion of version 0-5 is now complete and available from:

Other planned conversions of 0-5 are: (BAS), (BAS) vs (RHS), (RHS), (UKF vs RHS), (BWMod), (BWMod vs RHS). Should be able to get most of those out tomorrow if I get an hour or two free.

i'd also like to see this on a slightly larger scale with armour and maybe mortar support

Me too, although armour has to be handled very carefully in this kind of mission. In a pre-cursor to this mission that was very similar, I equipped all squads with APCs. The problem - especially with human players - was that the vehicles would assume a stand-off position and hose-down the town with HE rounds. It's worth re-exploring though, so I shall.

Mortars would also be good - although my immediate question is how to use them when an AI commander is active. Any suggestions as to a rule-set for the AI?

On lines similar to mortars, I would like see if I can get a smoke barrage option put in (but not a full artillery suite as it would ruin the balance). In daylight it is more-or-less suicide for the attacking squads!

i dont know how hard it would be to implement but maybe a choice of different locations would be a good idea for a future version ?

Owing to the current use of Triggers, which OFP1 will not let me move dynamically, I think for the moment I will need release seperate files for different towns / islands. TBH, that will always be necessary due to the large number of obstacles etc. which must be placed uniquely for each town. Are there any particular locations you would like to attack / defend?

Anyway, very glad you are enjoying the mission. All ideas and feedback welcome.

- Fer <TZW>

Completed an initial set of addon variants (all based on version 0-5, the most recent build), all of which are available for download now:

WGL5 Variant

Project UK Forces Variant

Red Hammer Studios Variant

Bundeswehr Mod Variant

Project UK Forces vs Red Hammer Studios Variant

Bundeswehr Mod vs Red Hammer Studios Variant

Enjoy!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

Thanks, Jolly Good.

It is on Zeus Addon now in WGL5 form I believe. Next gaming night is thursday. Cibit will be organising. He will be notified of this post. We will do some thorough testing Zeus style and give you some feedback, would be great if you were there. For info check out Zeus PvP Coop Organisation in MP section FP1985.

Taliho.

Quote[/b] ]@ wheres my rabbit?: The Project UK Forces conversion of version 0-5 is now complete

nice we use pukf stuff on our server so i'll get that on there an get the lads to play it

Quote[/b] ]the problem - especially with human players - was that the vehicles would assume a stand-off position and hose-down the town with HE rounds.

the good thing with wgl(and also finmod)for this type of thing in MP

is they both have deployable tow launchers or other such weapons which the player can move around and position.which evens the odds and makes for an even more tactical game

Quote[/b] ]Mortars would also be good - although my immediate question is how to use them when an AI commander is active. Any suggestions as to a rule-set for the AI?

god knows...

i like the sound of smoke barrages.. would be very useful and also add a lot to the atmosphere.

an idea could possibly be to add a feature for the defending teams CO to build a couple or 3 different types of defensive structures MG bunker,sandbag walls etc.

@jinef if saturday is anything to go by there will be too many people to play it sad_o.gif ...might have to open it and open up a rifleman slot in each section

I'm working on the Armour variant right now (just using the vanilla BIS units). If I can get it finished I will post both vanilla and WGL5 versions before Thursday night.

Also - and this I can do before Thursday as well - I'll make a 9v9 version of the mission, with a playable slot in each rifle squad.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

banghead.gif

Okay - found some serious bugs which means it isn't worth playing any of the versions. They only became apparent in larger MP tests, so I am sorry for going ahead and making conversions too soon.

The bugs are:

- NVGs are not added to the squads of human players (global/local issue) in Easy and Medium modes. banghead.gif

- Squad Camera script malfunctions, trapping the CO in camera view. banghead.gifbanghead.gif

- The command system just stops working after a while (can be 5 mins, can be 15 mins). Completely. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Anyway, I'll see what I can do to fix those issues now. Apologies if you downloaded and were disappointed.

- Fer <TZW> :/

bummer

maybe for the camera use Xcam. one of the zeus guys has put that into a cti and its great..

only trouble i had with the camera was it would get stuck on 1 group until i spammed the up button enough then it would change

hope the command system issue isn't too hard to fix cos i was hoping to play some 1 on 1 against my mate.at least for the minute it can still be played with all human squad leaders as the command system is needed then.

let me know if you need any MP testing done on a dedi server

Quote[/b] ]

dont worry Fer

Yeah, its the development faze.

Things are ment to go wrong here. wink_o.gif

I also have a Dedicated Server that i can use to test on, with three extra clients.

To combat the NVGoggle issue could you have a totally different script get executed if 'easy' is selected?

Sorry might be a daft suggestion, again development is also for brain storming..

LOL. Mission development isn't always plain sailing, so thanks for the suggestions smile_o.gif

I think I have fixed the NVG issue by running the equip sequences twice - once on the server to cater for AI-controlled squads, and again on all client machines to cater for player-led squads. Some testing on a dedi server last night indicated this was a successful fix.

On the camera front I have ripped-apart the original script and made it less ambitious (apologies to Dschulle!wink_o.gif. The version in 0-5 had allowed the user to cycle between groups, but that asked the client to do a *lot* of checks regarding unit health, group etc.

One didn't notice this strain when the units were moving about, but the minute they get into combat and start dying (and thereby changing unit leader), I think that caused the camera script to strain and even lock-up.

What I think I will use is a 'one-group-only' modification of the camera script, and then making it available for each squad. The downside is that the CO will have to come out of camera view to switch squads, but the upside is that the script should run far more smoothly.

As for the command system - if you have the opportunity to test it out 1v1 on a dedi server please go ahead. I have a nasty suspicion that it breaks down due to de-synch and high pings. There is also an issue with setting the AI skill of non-generated units that may be contributing, so I'll investigate that too.

Will keep you all posted.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

...dude...how come you havn't posted yet? You posted every day untill you found that glitch...wats going on?

...I played again, I was West AI was East.

When attacking, West won very quickly (in about 15mins) before i even got to the second set of wires. Not sure if a grenade might have killed off the CO, I just don't know.

Next I defended at dawn in fog. East came in from a different corner of the town, so i ran to the fight and got absolutly desroyed. I then used the observer cam to watch the rest of the game. East stormed the town killing every one...exept the CO! They all crowded around the bunker and just kept turning left...then right...then left...then right...etc untill the clock run out. Verry odd indeed.

Quote[/b] ]...dude...how come you havn't posted yet? You posted every day untill you found that glitch...wats going on?

LOL. From time to time I like to do things like spend time with my lovely wife, sleep, venture into the outside world etc. Also, when I unpacked those bugs I noticed one or two other global / local issues which I decided to fix in the same release.

Anyway, I have made progress on the issues and have posted a new version. I have yet to fully test it on a dedicated server, but the limited tests on the TZW server to-date have been positive. The NVGs issue appears fixed, and the other two will only become clear when I get to play with other people.

<span style='color:red'>You can download the newest version (0-5-2) from the usual URL:</span>

Feedback would be great. I'm going to try and port it to WGL5 in time for the Zeus folks' session tomorrow.

Quote[/b] ]Next I defended at dawn in fog. East came in from a different corner of the town, so i ran to the fight and got absolutly desroyed. I then used the observer cam to watch the rest of the game. East stormed the town killing every one...exept the CO! They all crowded around the bunker and just kept turning left...then right...then left...then right...etc untill the clock run out. Verry odd indeed.

This is a known issue. I have yet to find a decent way around this issue - the soldier know he is there, and will shoot at him if they get the right 'angle'. But they also have a habit of not doing anything. We'll have to keep thinking of a way around this.

BTW, have you tried playing as CO yet?

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

OOPs, forget version 0-5-2. There's still an issue with the command system :/

<span style='color:red'>Version 0-5-3 (which works!wink_o.gif is now available from:</span>

I jumped the gun a bit with v0-5-2 - it seems that you can use '/' in paths on a local server, but not on a dedicated one. whistle.gif

As posted for v0-5-2, think I have managed to fix the bugs found in v0-5 and have also added the odd new feature (worth re-reading the mission notes). WGL5 version on its way.

Enjoy!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

<span style='color:red'>As promised, WGL5 version of the 0-5-4 (which is 9v9). Available at:</span>

@ Jinef (and others in the WGL crowd): Hope this will prove both stable and large enough for your Thursday night session on Zeus! Would love feedback if you folks have a chance to test.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

Alright, when it rains it pours, eh? The mission is now 9v9!

LOL! I guess you showed me !

4 posts in under 8 hours, three with new version!

Good work.

How about putting a triger at the bunker that makes enemy AI Fire at the bunker ([this] dofire "bunker")? Or mayby toss a frag at it?

Also Yes i did play as the CO when attacking. It works fine for me (at least on single player). Just took a while as i we can't get the AI into the trucks. not a problem really, more atmosphere when you all have to run about the place, espesh in the fog..!

Nice work Fer,

I uploaded the wgl missions last night and had a quick run through the 10 player version. Thursday being more of a co-op night we did not get really stuck in but I imagine saturday night we will give it a workout.

On the plus side the mission loaded with no errors played without any lag and looked very polished.

Thanks for your trouble notworthy.gif

Bad boy Jinef I saw this post last night at 20.45gmt pistols.gif

U mentioned letting me know banghead.gif

@ Cibit: Thanks for trying out the mission. Just FYI, the 10-player one is now defunct, and fully replaced by the 18-player version (0-5-4@wg).

The 18-player version is still playable as 1v0 to 9v9 and any combination in between, and also has several important bug fixes. If you do get the chance for a proper play-test I'd be grateful if you use it.

Coming-up on the horizon is a version featuring crewed armoured vehicles instead of trucks ...

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

fer i noticed you tried to join the game the on thursday

the zeus guys use another addon pack aswell as wgl5

i tried to tell you but like a divvy i typed it in blue and you where gone again b4 i could retype..

their site