Sign in to follow this  
jammydodger

What sort of physics do you want for the heli's?

I Love Flying in OFP!!!!!!!! biggrin_o.gif

I would want it to be more realistic! Not only for the choppers but also mroe realistic in the area of physics/control for AirPlanes. yay.gif

The more realism the better! thumbs-up.gif

I really don't care because it's pretty much impossible to get a proper FPS and a realistic flight simulator in one package without severely comprosing the other. More realistic tanks with TI, laser and other goodies on the other hand.. yay.gif

Flying with a stick and flying in OFP:E is very fun....no auto hover to save your ass heheh...I'm guessing their going to add damage sytem types as well because I noticed when I landed my blackhawk wrong and the tail whacked a tree just right my tail rotor looked normal but acted damage as I noticed my helicopter would spin because the tail rotor wasn't countering the main rotor,so I had to fly at an angle where I look like I was on my side just to go straight,what fun that was,heheh..

If a chopper did not put its nose down it could not fly forwards, it would simply hover. In order for it to move in any direction it would have to tilt its rotors into the direction it wanted to go. The main rotors don't just supply the lift but also the directional force. This can only be aceived by tilting. The faster you want to go the more tilt you would need.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'tech heads' in here who will give you the same blurb by using words like 'cyclic controls' and 'collective lift', but it all boils down to the same thing in the end - no tilt no move! wink_o.gif

Yes I am aware that the rotor disc has to tilt in order for the helicopter to move forward, but what about the fuselage?

i.e. during normal forward flight does the fuselage tilt as well, because it does in virtually any computer game I've seen, and I'm wondering if that is realistic or not.

From what I understand yes. As been said blades tilt to give directional thrust but the fuselage will tilt to give more angle to the blade thus more speed. There are enought video files around where you can see this effect.

The topic question runs into a brick wall straight away. With little to no real physics model in the game there can't be a realistic flight model either. I think a better question would be what type of physics model will we see in ArmA? Even the addition of a realistic wind model(density-pressure-dynamic direction-air currents-thermal currents etc.....ok maybe to much maybe just a couple of these to begin with) would help in the building of a realistic flight model and not just helo's. Would also help with other some of the other requests that have been made. With people saying opf:e has some sort of wind model it will be intresting to see what they implement for us in ArmA xmas_o.gif

Thank you for your reply snoops, though I'm still not quite convinced (no disrespect intended).

As for ArmAss  rofl.gif I'd really just like to see a flight model that makes helos fly like real helos when actual players use them, regardless of how realistic the flight controls are.

I would very much prefer not to see such things as a helo flying sideways in a circle (it's nose constantly pointed towards the center and downards) and shooting like mad, as I have seen in BF: Vietnam. I could do without Chinook helicopters able to loop as well.

Thank you for your reply snoops, though I'm still not quite convinced (no disrespect intended).

As for ArmAss rofl.gif I'd really just like to see a flight model that makes helos fly like real helos when actual players use them, regardless of how realistic the flight controls are.

I would very much prefer not to see such things as a helo flying sideways in a circle (it's nose constantly pointed towards the center and downards) and shooting like mad, as I have seen in BF: Vietnam. I could do without Chinook helicopters able to loop as well.

That sort of thing is quite possible... although the Chinook doing loops is VERY VERY VERY unadvisable haha. You may be able to pull it off but it'd seriously screw the engines and airframe over BIG time. You'd also need to turn off the engine over-torque warnings and auto shutdown systems too in order to get the power and speed needed. I say, make it possible, but make it nuke your engines too and cause structural damage to the aircraft. Make the engines fail mwuahah.

That sort of thing is quite possible... although the Chinook doing loops is VERY VERY VERY unadvisable haha. You may be able to pull it off but it'd seriously screw the engines and airframe over BIG time. You'd also need to turn off the engine over-torque warnings and auto shutdown systems too in order to get the power and speed needed. I say, make it possible, but make it nuke your engines too and cause structural damage to the aircraft. Make the engines fail mwuahah.

Right. So, it's perhaps possible (in the most ultra-extreme case) to loop a Chinook (this is an example of course, I'm not particularly interested in the Chinook per se), but at best this is exeptionally risky. Only a complete nutcase would ever attempt it. Wich is why we've never seen anyone even attempt it.

So I say make it impossible. Have the damn helo stop at a certain pitch/angle and simply refuse to go beyond it (smaller, more agile helos probably being exempted, or at least having far more liberal restrictions) no matter how hard the pilot pulls the cyclic or whatever.

Quote[/b] ]So I say make it impossible. Have the damn helo stop at a certain pitch/angle and simply refuse to go beyond it (smaller, more agile helos probably being exempted, or at least having far more liberal restrictions) no matter how hard the pilot pulls the cyclic or whatever.

I would advise against that. If there are such limits in the flight model of helicopters, where else could there be limits? I'd say make what is possible in the real world possible on ArmA, just make sure each action has proper results. If someone wants to roll a Chinook, let them, but at the same time they could very well damage the chopper. I think putting limits on the physics is a dangerous step to a more arcade style of gameplay.

My two cents

-Pilot

Yes I am aware that the rotor disc has to tilt in order for the helicopter to move forward, but what about the fuselage?

i.e. during normal forward flight does the fuselage tilt as well, because it does in virtually any computer game I've seen, and I'm wondering if that is realistic or not.

OK I did not manage to explain it very well! When I said tilt I meant the whole aircraft! As far as I'm aware not that many choppers actually have tilting rotors an any case this is not common. Instead the rotors have a centre spindle which controls the pitch of the rotors from front to back, side to side etc. In other words when U push forward on the stick (cyclic controls) the rotor blades that are at the rear of the chopper as they rotate are given more lift than those at the front. This makes the chopper put its tail up and nose down so that it flies forwards. Im sure there are plenty of articles on the internet that can explain to you exactly how this spindle works!  icon_rolleyes.gif

I think possibly what U can't understand is why most choppers in OFP seem to be 'nose diving' when in forward motion far more than what U see in real life. A possible explanation of this might be that the choppers simulated in the game are usually in a hurry (war is a hasty thing!wink_o.gif, wheras those Sea King helis or the local airfoce Lynxs going about their training are flying at a much more sensible speed.

There are problems with flying choppers at high speeds due to the way the rotors rotate and thus it is only done when haste is needed! I hope U are a bit wiser, like I said do a search if U really want to learn heli aerodinamics. Thats not what this thread is for and the moderators will be getting itchy!  band.gif

Thanks, red kite, I do understand it better now. Your explanation in simple terms that this idiot can understand really helped, thanks again. notworthy.gif

As for ArmAss, perhaps the nose-down pitch in relation to speed should be toned down just a wee bit to avoid everyone flying around with the nose at a 45 degree downwards all the time.

My primary objective is to have helicopters flying around the ArmAss map in a proper manner, looking and handling like real helicopters.

http://www.warriorswithwrenches.com/apache2.wmv

Great video and you can see the way the apache handles. Lovely looking bird, can't wait till see what it'll do once it gets its 5th blade and new engines smile_o.gif Carefull though its a 53MB download crazy_o.gif change the 2 to a 1 and its a low 10MB biggrin_o.gif although worth the wait smile_o.gif

Nice site btw but dont most military helos use fully articulated blade systems?

Sorry off topic. Bakc on topic, I would like to see a better flight model but as i said before i would want to see it in a realistic environment, with a physics model for the entire "world" so the flight model would be accurate.

Quote[/b] ]with a physics model for the entire "world"

That would be impossible. Sure, some basic "building blocks" of the simulation (like gravity or air friction) can be used in many different scenarios but it's quite impossible to do one magic algorithm that can simulate everything just like that. Basicly, you just approximate how something would behave, like a car or a plane, a box or a rope, and add a block of code to the engine that simulates just that, not make one universal simulation that starts from atoms and ends up in galaxies flying trough space and can simulate everything in our universe (I guess it could be possible but the processing power needed would be incomprehensible).